31 Bhm project

chevy18717

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM
I had recently bought a 31 bhm and I have ripped the whole thing down to the bare hull and installed everything new and I just got done glassing the decks. I am looking to extend my cabin about two feet and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I would like to stay away from wood, wondering if bhm makes any panels for the roof and sides.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
I had recently bought a 31 bhm and wondering if bhm makes any panels for the roof and sides.
There is no more blue hill marine to get stuff from......but you could make your own extention panels......air ex or balsa core

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Posts with pictures get the best advice

cabin

if you are looking to extend the length of an existing cabin on a BHM, that can surely be done. It means setting up a mold starting near the aft end of the roof and sides. It's a lot of work to set it up so it's fair, so there isn't a noticeable transition. You would mold it in place and core it with foam or balsa core. As was mentioned a picture of the existing cabin would help determine a course of action

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
A piece of that bathroom panel sold at your local home supply store works great for a splash mold. Put it on your existing house paneling to get the exterior shape, gelcoat and glass, do your core, and glass the interior. Pop the panel, do any work on your seam, voilà!

Be sure to wax your panel

chevy18717

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM
I will post some pics soon. the top only had core in the roof and it was wet so I cut it out and now im looking at a sheet of fiberglass. so im not putting core back in im going to put 2x4 on edge and bow them then glass them in

mail (13).jpg

mail (14).jpg

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
There is no more blue hill marine to get stuff from......but you could make your own extention panels......air ex or balsa core

A piece of that bathroom panel sold at your local home supply store works great for a splash mold. Put it on your existing house paneling to get the exterior shape, gelcoat and glass, do your core, and glass the interior. Pop the panel, do any work on your seam, voilà!

Be sure to wax your panel
That's what I was trying to say.........as Travis sez....easy

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I've got a 31 BHM. It had a waterlogged top. We cut it off w/ a circular saw, leaving a little bit on the edges. Then we removed the core and bottom layer of glass from that. From there we laid up a new top piece made from nidacore. We glued and screwed that down on top of the flange we had from the old top. then we wrapped it w/ glass. Voila- new lightweight fiberglass top. We also glassed in support beams made of doug fir under the new top, When yo make your new top, think about some overhang for shade/spray.

chevy18717

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM
im about half way done. I have stripped it to the bare hull and replaced everything ill upload some pics tomorrow

chevy18717

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM
here are a few of the new deck getting prepped and installed after I installed new vernalift muffer exhaust and fuel lines.

mail (65).jpg

mail (79).jpg

mail (85).jpg

mail (86).jpg

mail (82).jpg

chevy18717

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM
floor down vents glassed in and first coat of gelcote down

mail (87).jpg

mail (88).jpg

mail (68).jpg

mail (90).jpg

chevy18717

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM
the boat came from RI. Here are a few more of the progress scrapped the hull to bare glass and put 4 coats of barrier coat, decks and gelcote are done now to extend the cabin and and finish it off half way there

mail (96).jpg

mail (92).jpg

mail (93).jpg

mail (97).jpg

mail (67).jpg

Last edited:

chevy18717

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM
nice guy but oh boy. im building a temp enclosure to work on it this winter. once its done I can move forward with the progress.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I im going to put 2x4 on edge and bow them then glass them in

Don't do that (bow them), saw the curve in. Better than 2x4 is 1x4 mahogany decking VERY stiff compared to anything else in the lumberyard

Surfishingboy

Commander
you're going to give old man Tony a heart if you told him you cut his white pine deck up to put a real one in..lol

Last edited:

chevy18717

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM
I know he was very proud of that deck. He would be broken if he saw what I have done to the boat. I don't know if I should send him a picture when its done. Brooksie I didn't mean bow them I am going to cut the crown of the top and glass everything in because im going to have my tower mounted to the top of the cabin.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom