31 Duffy upper cutlass ?

Denis Nalepa

Lieutenant
Boat Make
31 Duffy
With the engine out the upper cutlass is visible, has anyone changed the upper one before. Boat is 20 yrs old and I have done the lower twice and know the drill .
Can't tell if the upper is glassed in or not ?

knotalot

Lieutenant
First Name
keith
Hard to say whether its glassed in or not w/o a picture. For your sake I hope not. Even with the engine out it isn't going to be fun getting it out. I certainly wouldn't glass the new back in. Not necessary imo.
I also don't see any need for them to be as tight as you'd see in a stern bearing or strut either. A slip fit w/ a light smear of 5200 (which I hate)on each end is what I'd use with a couple recessed screws, same as the outside.
YMMV
Personally, I don't like them & prefer a pillow block for support opposed to an inner cutlass. I'm probably in the minority here.

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
What do you have for a shaft tube, bearing holder? If it a glass tube, the beating is probably pressed in. If you pull the shaft back a bit, it will fall out of the bearing, and you can use it as a hammer and push the bearing out. Lubricate the out beating with silicone spray, not dawn soap, as it will harden the rubber of the outside bearing, by removing the oil in the rubber. Hopefully its not a tight fit. You may have to split the bearing with a long sawzall blade.

jsalty

Lieutenant
Boat Make
1999 Zimmerman 36 Atlantic hull
I did my upper and lower last summer it's not an easy job even with engine and shaft removed they used the green loctite when they installed them. Your gonna need alot of good high quality saws all blades, be carefull not to cut into the fiberglass tube. I used a slide hammer puller to get it moving. I cut into my tube more than i'd like to admit, We had to repair the tube with west system 105,205 with some 404 powder. Don't forget to look for set screw that might be there to hold bearing in place.

Denis Nalepa

Lieutenant
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Thanks for the reply s. but after replacing the lower and checking the clearance of a new and comparing to the upper the slop was almost the same 1/32 or less 5500 hours and almost no wear ,does not appear to be bonded in . Will address in the future if required I am a fan of Duffy and glad I had them finish the KIT boat to a sea trial finish. bare bones but a running boat .

Top Bottom