31 Duffy

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Anyone have any insight in this hull? I am kicking around the idea of downsizing, and this is one of the boats I have some interest in. Wondering what the best power is for speed and economy. There doesn't seem to be much written on this one, even though there are quite a few of them around. Any opinions on ride and seaworthiness would be greatly appreciated.
Who would be the most knowledgeable person to speak to on this one? Would love real world feedback on speed and handling. Thanks.

Hooper

Captain
Among others, the guys from Cape Island Boats in Orleans know this hull as well as anyone. They have built a whole lot of them unfortunately none of these were for me!

Last one I saw in the shop had a 380hp Cummings and there was no engine box, it was a really sweet boat. Another 31 I was familiar with had a 420hp Cat 3126 and that thing screamed.

I'd love to own a 31 Duffy

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
The 31 is a great boat - very economical to run (19kts @ 10 gph with the 330 cummins) and a great seaboat.

Andy @ cape and Islands did a ton of updates on ours last winter - new decks, lifting rails, volvo trim tabs, a big transom livewell, as well as few other projects. He's the guru of all things duffy.
The lifting rails made a huge difference in the amount of spray that hits the cockpit - between those and the tabs, it was night and day in terms of keeping the customers dry back there. If you aren't going to do any sticking, I'd recommend them.

Here are a couple of crappy pics of the work:

Winter Projects | Facebook

Vito's 31 in the pics on this thread is beautiful.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Funny, I was thinking the 330 cummins would be the right match for this boat. The one I am looking into has a 3116, and I think it gets similar results. Unfortunately it has an engine box, although it seems that you could lose it with a small step up. The current owner hasn't made up his mind on selling yet, but I have first crack when he does. 1.9 mpg sounds real good to me at current fuel prices. Is 19knts a conservative cruise, or high end?

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
Fairly conservative, we do too many hours each season to go running her at high rpm.

She'll do 15 knots through absolutely anything.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
So its safe to say that a 20knt cruise is a reasonable expectation. That will help with the decision when the time comes. What are the downside items in your opinion? She is obviously a notorious sea boat for her size. Is your cummins below deck? Thanks you for your time and patience too!

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
So its safe to say that a 20knt cruise is a reasonable expectation. That will help with the decision when the time comes. What are the downside items in your opinion? She is obviously a notorious sea boat for her size. Is your cummins below deck? Thanks you for your time and patience too!
20 is reasonable, especially if you don't weigh them down with too much crap. I know of a few have that have the 425 Yanmar and they really scoot. I wouldn't go there if your running commercial hours, but for a sportfisherman that's a fast combo.

Ours has the box, the one in the pics has the step up with the engine below. I don't mind the box, its a nice warm place to take a nap.

Only limitation is she's not big enough to go to George's. But that day will come, and then Hooper's going to say screw it to his kids college fund and buy this one.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Georges wasn't all it was cracked up to be this year. I know that a few guys had real nice seasons staying local last year. That was my thing back in the day. My previous boat was a 35 RP HUNTRESS. I currently have a 41 Michael Fitz, which is a hull built in Naples, Fla. All I do now is commercial rod and reel fishing inshore and really have no need for a bigger boat, I figure if things work out with the Duffy, it would still be a fine inshore day boat for tuna fishing , that is if the urge ever hits me again. And I agree on the Yanmar thing, I would most likely repower with the 330, or 370 b-series. Do you think you would need to raise the roof if a step up was added?

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
I can name quite a few boats this size and a couple smaller that are making the trip, and good luck to them. When it's my ass, I don't think she's big enough, so I don't go - to each his own. For what we do (chartering and tuna fishing inside 80 miles) she works very well.

As for putting in a stepped deck, you would most likely need to raise the house. We considered it, but it would have been too big a project. My dad and I are both pretty tall, so even when we raised the deck a few inches to change the angle we were mindful of the headroom.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Thats the problem in my mind. Many people see no problem going in a small boat. If you think going to one of the roughest spots on the planet, 150miles each way in a 30 ft boat is a good idea, more power to ya. You make it back every time........until you dont. Is your friend Ralph? He is a friend of mine too if so, we worked together tuna fishing for many years. He is definitely not scared.

Cape Island Boats

Lieutenant
Website
live.com
We equipped her with a Cummins QSB 5.9 at 380 HP. She does has a flush deck in the wheelhouse. We were able to do that by having a small step into the wheelhouse and by fabricating our own house.

Top Bottom