31' JC Needs engine $10k

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Looks like a real old girl, most likely 1977-78 vintage. Fuel tanks for sure & is she cord? A boat that old if corded and most were needs a real hard look before starting the project.

Tunahead

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.captbillsmith.com
Boat Make
Have 5! Make that 6 ....
Thanks Eastporter

You know Eastporter, for someone like myself and I'm sure many others, your tireless efforts searching for and posting downeast boats that are for sale is invaluable to me and I appreciate it very much. It's like having your own research assistant doing the drudgery work and it has put me on a couple of boats that interest me. I'm trying to find a stick boat/rod and reel downeast boat for my 2 sons as a surprise gift. They worked and still work their asses off building a hugely successful business and they deserve it.
Off the track though .....Thank you very much for all the time and effort you put into searching and posting. I hope you have the boat of your dreams too, and I'm glad that you are on this site. You are a true asset to it!
Best, Bill

Tunahead

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.captbillsmith.com
Boat Make
Have 5! Make that 6 ....
Sinking

I think this boat went under on its mooring

It did. Too bad, but for a gut and rebuild if you like 31 JC's which I'm not crazy about, horrible in a following sea, it may not be a bad way to go.
I wrote the guy with some questions and he's going to get back with me, he did confirm that it sank though.
Thanks again Eastporter

Last edited:

tunamojo

Rear Admiral
Website
Www.wickedweasel.com
Boat Make
Holland 32
Tunahead, a guy i used to know had a stick boat named Tally Ho
Ive seen it sitting off the side of rt one somewhere.
Fishy boat, i think its a 26 Sisu Cant be sure.....

Maybe some other Mainer will know the boat and its exact where a bouts

Sorry I know thats not a big help but if I see it again I will stop

Last edited:

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
26 is too small I'm afraid. Looking for something a minimum of 32' up to 43 or so
Thanks though. I really appreciate your efforts.
Bill

I'm curious.

Other than a pulpit and a tower.....what "qualifies" as a "stick boat" ?

A certain hull design ?

Locally to me I see a 32 Holland, 31 BHM, 29 H&H and of course Mike's (Plowin) new 33 Flowers stick boat.
Can "any DE" become a "stick boat" by adding a pulpit and tower ?

If so, let's get a list going .:D

tunamojo

Rear Admiral
Website
Www.wickedweasel.com
Boat Make
Holland 32
Bill, as long as I've known a stick boat is a boat with a tower and pulpit specifically designed to be in the harpoon cat.

Now, some hulls are better than others, due to the way water rolls off the boats hull. For instance, a holland stick boat will not have splash guards on it so that the water will flow up and away down the run of the boats sides.
The idea is to keep the bows wake from rolling over and making "noise"
So wider, more flare boats are considered less desirable for the job.

This is strictly just my .02

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
I've seen a 31 tiara with gas engines rigged as a stickboat. Ditto 31 Bertram, gas motors (actually several). Those were back in the day when a pilot wasn't absolutely necessary to make money harpooning though. Nowadays you need a slender, quiet boat that can sneeeeak right up on a giant. 3:1 ratio boats seem to do it really well.

amarshall

Lieutenant Commander
I've seen a 31 tiara with gas engines rigged as a stickboat. Ditto 31 Bertram, gas motors (actually several). Those were back in the day when a pilot wasn't absolutely necessary to make money harpooning though. Nowadays you need a slender, quiet boat that can sneeeeak right up on a giant. 3:1 ratio boats seem to do it really well.

There was some sort of 40 ft post yesterday with pulpit and tower at race point

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
There was some sort of 40 ft post yesterday with pulpit and tower at race point

I fished a few times on a 42' Post out of Barnstable that had a hydraulic extendable pulpit - about 12' at the dock, and when you hit the button, she went out to 20' or so.

There was a big hatteras in the harbor rigged the same way - for guys that remember Lenny H, he killed a shit ton of fish.

Top Bottom