31 WEST BAY downeast boat

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
added a new model - WB37'. The West Bay 37, like the WB31' is a traditional built-down semi-displacement hull. It was designed by Spencer Lincoln, a well known marine architect. Further refinements, to West Bay specifications, were made in the offices of C.W. Paine Yacht Design by Mark Fitzgerald who is now operating under Fitzgerald Marine Architecture in Camden, Maine.

Both models were architecturally designed to replicate the early commercial vessels. We know that like the "old-time" fisherman, boat owners today depend on their vessel to perform well for them in all types of seas. In fact, owner John Savage is one who will testify to the stability of the West Bay 31. John charters a 6-pack and reports that when he is heading out with sports fishermen aboard his West Bay 31, he often meets other boats returning to harbor due to the rough sea conditions

I (we) never hear much about the WEST BAY downeast boats.

The 31 is a boat in my size range. WEST BAY builds a 37.

Spencer Lincoln designed built down hulls.

Any experience? observations?

Curious

jojobee

Commander
I believe that the 31 is an Alley skeg built boat. Very similar to Young Brothers 30. Regardless, nice on the eyes.

Eastporter

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
I believe that "Beagle" is a West Bay.

PA020635.jpg

VPC

Lieutenant Commander

I had one its the 31 jim beal 31x10.6 sold it to my friend has a 3116 305 in it 20 knot cruise, fair to above average in a head sea, the width is achieved midship by a belly and it will snap hard on a broadside roll, its fair in a following sea and is relativalely economical to run albeit a small 31 by todays standards mine was built in 1990 with engine out the door 50k stick built house still holding up, shot the hull with sterling a way back and it still shines the sister ship in the shop at the time wass the silver bullet, jim had one uptown girl, following my build several friends were turned on to jim by me and built 3 crowley beal 28's and 1 23 all happy with the boats, jims a good guy to work with shook hands no paper work and paid cash delivered on schedule ahead of time, lotta people can learn from him

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
My father had the 31 molds for a while, got caught up finishing other hulls and gave them back to Jim Beal

My experience with them... well I took quite a few naps up in the hull mold as a kid, does that count?

Capt. Rick

Commander
Boat Make
31 RP Willis Beal
Here are some shots of a 31 West Bay -"Bonnie Rose". The guy that finished my boat did the finishing on this one - Stephen Newman of SE Newman and Sons. He was able to get the engine below decks which I understand is the first one done like that. Good looking boat, shear a good bit lower than than the RP31, also the beam tapers in a bit toward the stern.

seatrialjw0[1].jpg

brhomeport001oi4[1].jpg

picture198xd0[1].jpg

Last edited:

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Here are some shots of a 31 West Bay -"Bonnie Rose". The guy that finished my boat did the finishing on this one - Stephen Newman of SE Newman and Sons. He was able to get the engine below decks which I understand is the first one done like that. Good looking boat, shear a good bit lower than than the RP31, also the beam tapers in a bit toward the stern.

I love the advantages of a small step up in a "small" DE.
No 4"-5" engine cover. Better visibility.
ALL good for a guy like me who's only 5'8" !!! LOL

Buzzard

Ensign
Boat Make
West Bay 34
Yes, Beagle is a West Bay 31. The first built as a pleasure boat. I have run her as well as the 37, and they are both fantastic.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Yes, Beagle is a West Bay 31. The first built as a pleasure boat. I have run her as well as the 37, and they are both fantastic.

Buzzard,

The Beagle ??? 31 West Bay

What does the boat have for power and what was the cruise/wot speeds ??

I like the open layout of the Beagle, similar to the layout of my 31 BF combi.

Appreciated,

Bill D

mudhake

Captain
bill you must be on your lap top because the guy and his hot chick that was buffing your hull today said you would be back tomorow from florida. launched the 28 crowley yesterday for sea trials and perfomed flawlessley, 27kts and climbing in the merrimack againts a light tide at 3850. the boats at the bridge marina until friday and then leaving for ct. steve.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
bill you must be on your lap top because the guy and his hot chick that was buffing your hull today said you would be back tomorow from florida. launched the 28 crowley yesterday for sea trials and perfomed flawlessley, 27kts and climbing in the merrimack againts a light tide at 3850. the boats at the bridge marina until friday and then leaving for ct. steve.

Landed in manchester nh around 4:30 today. I'll be down @ Bridge tomorrow.
I'll take a peek @ the 28 Crowley then.
Sounds like you sold the boat !!
Great !
What the heck you gonna do for a boat this season ??
Build out the 28 BHM hull you been sittin on ?? LOL

Buzzard

Ensign
Boat Make
West Bay 34
Beagle has the Yanmar 6LYA I believe it was rated at about 360 hp at the time.

2800 cruise 19.6knots. 7-8 gph depending on how much gear we had on her.

WOT 27-28 knots.

We ran her with a 3,4, and settled on a 5 blade as it was very smooth power curve. topped at 33 knots with the 3 blade, but a little rough on the teeth and kidneys.

She was built with an Evolution drive, and the goal was smooth and as quiet as possible. Winter back made that difficult, but she is a great boat. Engine box, as we have some tall folks in the family.

Here she is in Tarpaulin Cove.

IMG_0067.jpg

Buzzard11

Lieutenant
Bonnie Rose

Hi, as an FYI, the Bonnie Rose will be on the market, for sale shortly. It will be listed on this website.

Buzzard11

Lieutenant

The Bonnie Rose will be for sale within the month.

Top Bottom