32 H&H or 31 BHM for work boat

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
Ok guys , by next season I am going to be moving up. I just need a bigger boat. Keep in mind that this will be strictly a work boat, used for hauling gear on a day to day basis.
Can some of you with experience with these hulls please give me some input on performance, sea handling, loading, and other details that are of interest when setting up a work boat.
When I do move up next season, it will most likely be one of these because they seem to come up for sale in my price range often.... Thanks in advance.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I don't think either one would be a bad choice, i'd look for which one had the newest power in it and if service/parts are closely available. Of course deck gear/space/layout is important but its a easy fix to improve or just add new gear. I'd be more concerned of how the rig was taken care of, after the guy showed me my boat he told me to come back the next day and to "spend as much time as you want" crawling through the boat looking things over because he had to be at work so off to harbor freight i went to get one of those mirrors on a stick so i could see into all the nooks and crannies underneath the decks and around the motor. I spent a good 3-4 hours the next day just looking things over.

offshore31

Captain
This season I moved into a 31 bhm, but it's too soon for me to give you any valuable input on the boat. She sits real nice on the drift. A little wet, but I don't care because i'm in the house. Lots of deck space, and has loads of room under the deck. But that all depends on the layout.

Like Steve, the prior owner let me spend a day alone on the boat. Spent a lot of time down in the bilges checking things out. If you find an owner that's willing to let you spend quality time on the boat without them around, then you've probably found a good boat.

duxbait

Captain
Spent some time fishing next to a 32 H&H yesterday. We were in a rip with big standing waves (nasty from northern wind). Boat seemed to eat up the head sea and drift nicely through the seas. Looked to be set up with a step up into an enclosed helm. Just my two cents...

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
I owned a 31 BHM for over 15 years and liked the boat very much. It is an extremely able boat and plenty rugged for offshore work. One thing I might add is that if you are going to be hauling gear out of it on a daily basis keep in mind that it is a fairly long reach to the water compared to say a 32 Holland. If your back is in tough shape to begin with this might be a problem for you. They have a good amount of deck space and plenty of freeboard as well. Generally there is no need for an engine box and that is also useful.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
Ya. That's pretty much what I have heard from most guys that have worked out of a 31 Bhm. Does any one have some #s that the can share about them.????????

offshore31

Captain
what #'s are you looking for? do a search in here. there's a whole thread on 31/32 bhm's, with some perf #s

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
from what i've seen here the BHM's are 12-14 knots boats unless you have deep fuel and horsepower pockets, don't know about the H&H 32's. 12-14 with a nice iron mike seems just right to me so you can get a lot of deck work done on the way back home without getting thrown all over the deck like a drunk sailor.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
250 to 350 hp will push the BHM around at 12-14kts all day long, seems to be there sweet spot for the most part. The hull can swing a 28" wheel so a 2.5:1 reduction gear also is a nice fit particularly if you will be working the boat and have a lot of weight in it. With the that reduction you will also be slowing your shaft speed down which means less wear on things. I have zero first hand knowledge of the 32 HH but have heard that they are also a nice hull.

Ditchdigger

Rear Admiral
32' bhm

Have a 32' BHM with a 235 H.P. TAMD 60. Sweet spot is 2250. @ 2400 you will get 13 KNTS . This is not pushing it. A Beast in a head sea. It is a Work truck, not a sports car. When you see a swell in front of you that you are sure will rattle your teeth or send you to the Chiropractor the next day, It Won't. Just my opinion !

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Have a 32' BHM with a 235 H.P. TAMD 60. Sweet spot is 2250. @ 2400 you will get 13 KNTS . This is not pushing it. A Beast in a head sea. It is a Work truck, not a sports car. When you see a swell in front of you that you are sure will rattle your teeth or send you to the Chiropractor the next day, It Won't. Just my opinion !

Kinda how my 29 rides, i'm waiting and holding on for the bang and pound and nothing happens but a woosh water flies and i just keep going.

Top Bottom