32 Holland Advice

GB Maine

Lieutenant
Boat Make
33 Pettegrow , 17 Mauntauk
I am building a 32 Holland sport fishing boat that I plan to bring back to fish the Hawaiian Waters.

I want as much hP as I can get to creuise out 40 miles on flat days, without over kill or making the boat keel walk or dangerous.

Does anyone have advice on how a 32 Holland cruises at 25 knots, or if it is not reasonable to ask the hull to do so.

I was thinking of bolting in a cummins QSB 5.9 480 HP engine.

any Comments appreciated.

Greg

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
32' Holland is a beautiful boat, congratulations! Unless the weather is flat calm, and I mean FLAT calm, you are not ever going to be doing 25 knots in that Holland without a dentist and an orthopedic surgeon on board. Do you get those kind of days in Hawaii, I have no idea. With that being said a 400 hp or so Yanmar or Cummins should do the trick. The 32' Holland is very weight sensitive and the Yanmar is generally a lightweight power plant. You said the boat is going to be a sport fisherman, is it going to have a tower and outriggers? Enjoy the build!

Last edited:

F/V Sophia Rose

Lieutenant
Boat Make
32 Holland
25kts will be pushing it. Your build sounds a lot like my boat. The boat will cruise happily at 18-20kts depending on how much weight and fuel you are carrying. Good luck with the build. Post pics!

GB Maine

Lieutenant
Boat Make
32 Holland

I am early on in the building process. I get the Hull from Holland in October. I am having Brad Simmons of East Booth bay finish the boat. I believe he has finished ten Hollands.

The boat will have a raised bridge on the tower, much like Sophia Rose, but I think a bit lower.

We do not get a lot of flat days in Hawaii, but when we do, I like to move. It sounds like I will be better off with an engine spec that will cruise 22 knots so I am not wasting my money and grinding my teeth.

I currently have a 28 Parker in Hawaii. I do not like the outboard gas engines, and I am looking for a more stable platform as the waters in Hawaii are usually rough and windy.

My state slip on the small island of Lanai where I am at is limited to 10' beam. The harbor master approved the Holland at 10.6". So my research seemed to end with Holland being my best choice. And I love the look of the boat. My three boys and I put around 400 hours a year on fishing.

captcod

Lieutenant
i would put the powere in it....even if you dont use it, it is nice to have

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I am early on in the building process. I get the Hull from Holland in October. I am having Brad Simmons of East Booth bay finish the boat. I believe he has finished ten Hollands.

The boat will have a raised bridge on the tower, much like Sophia Rose, but I think a bit lower.

We do not get a lot of flat days in Hawaii, but when we do, I like to move. It sounds like I will be better off with an engine spec that will cruise 22 knots so I am not wasting my money and grinding my teeth.

I currently have a 28 Parker in Hawaii. I do not like the outboard gas engines, and I am looking for a more stable platform as the waters in Hawaii are usually rough and windy.

My state slip on the small island of Lanai where I am at is limited to 10' beam. The harbor master approved the Holland at 10.6". So my research seemed to end with Holland being my best choice. And I love the look of the boat. My three boys and I put around 400 hours a year on fishing.

"and I am looking for a more stable platform as the waters in Hawaii are usually rough and windy."

How about a 28 Northern Bay, small enough for the harbor, big enough for windy and rough without pounding.
Goes fast too.

WC1966

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Webbers Cove 34
How about a 28 Northern Bay, small enough for the harbor, big enough for windy and rough without pounding.
Goes fast too.[/QUOTE]
BillD, Sounds like he has the hull on order already.

MH 942

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Crowley
Not impossible.
There are two `32 Holland Stick boats in York Harbor that produce these numbers. Pm me and I can give you some contact info.

F/V Sophia Rose

Lieutenant
Boat Make
32 Holland
Lanai to Maine is a heck of a commute! :) I thought my commute to CA was long. Feel free to email me any questions. My boat isn't your typical build and she was built for a guy that couldnt wait for flat days. She doesnt pound but is heavier than most and not a speed demon but she will run in weather the others cant or wont.

GB Maine

Lieutenant
Boat Make
MH 942: Not sure what PM means. But if you can get me info that would be great.

Sophia Rose: What modifications make the boat better for rough water and enable it not to pound? Most of time we fish we are in somewhat rough water in Hawaii. I grew up in Lincoln ME and moved to Maui 25 years ago. left Maui and moved to Lanai when Maui got crowded. I have a home in Booth Bay and still spend the summers here.

I am not familiar with the 28 Northern Bay, but assume if must not be as stable at trolling or bait speed as a Holland? Is the Holland a stable platform when you are moving very slow in rough water.

Greg

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
OR just buy my 29 H&H its about as close to Hawaii as you can get a DE boat, sitting on a trailer, come on up take a look & i'll take it to Anchorage and send it on its way. Not as fast as a holland but i'm betting it will be much better riding when the shit hits the fan. 29 x 10' 6" w/a 300hp John Deere(900 hours). AND you save yourself a nice piece of change. PM means private message. If your interested email me at [email protected]
20130625_150415[2].jpg

20130625_150415[2].jpg

Last edited:

MH 942

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Crowley
MH 942: Not sure what PM means. But if you can get me info that would be great.

Sophia Rose: What modifications make the boat better for rough water and enable it not to pound? Most of time we fish we are in somewhat rough water in Hawaii. I grew up in Lincoln ME and moved to Maui 25 years ago. left Maui and moved to Lanai when Maui got crowded. I have a home in Booth Bay and still spend the summers here.

I am not familiar with the 28 Northern Bay, but assume if must not be as stable at trolling or bait speed as a Holland? Is the Holland a stable platform when you are moving very slow in rough water.

Greg
PM means Private Message. Click on my profile or screen name and you will see the option to send me a Private Message. I have tunafished fished on Hollands for years and these York Harbor boats are fast.

FVSD

Lieutenant Commander
Holland 32' is the prettiest hull but is really a 16-18 knt boat. The hull will go faster you just won't do it. I don't know how much more stable it will be than the Parker since it will roll be very careful how much weight you put above the deck (no buggy tops). The reason to by a DE over gas is the power train and deck space.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
I'll start by saying I have never been on a 32 holland, so all I have to say is simply what I have read. Aren't 32 Hollands so pretty and slippery because they are an older school design, which have a narrower beam, and therefore quite tendering in the slop?
I've just never heard them recommended when someone wants a stable platform in rough seas. But, like I say, I have no actual experience here.

GB Maine

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Nick,

I am limited to 10' beam in my slip. The harbor master allowed me to go to 10'6". My research pointed me to the Holland for the best Down East Boat that is 10'6" or less for a fishing vessel.

Thanks
Greg

GB Maine

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Wound Up marine,

I am stoked to have Bradley building the boat. I wanted to buy his 38 but it would not fit into my slip. Then I started looking at the 32's, and decided this spring it was the right choice.
Thanks
Greg

Latest Posts

Top Bottom