32 Holland Engine Noise

Regulator23

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
32 Holland
I took a ride downeast to Stonington, ME last Thursday to look at and test ride a 32 Holland with a 315 Cummins 6BTA. The boat was very nice and in good condition. the engine as 6150 hours. i had a very good mechanic with me who said there was some life left and the engine ran very well. What is really giving me pause is how LOUD the engine was. Engine box had about 1" of sound insulation but there is no box on the front half of the engine. I had to yell at the top of my lungs to speak when at 2000 to 2400 rpms. My question is this. Can an engine box in front of the bulk head, Sound downed and perhaps more sound down in the box behind the bulk head significantly reduce the noise? Otherwise if i make an offer I'm considering repowering with a QSB. I plan on using the boat strictly for recreational tuna fishing, I like to troll.

I really like the boat. It's a little expensive but kind of what I want. Also to put the noise in perspective I currently run a 23 Regulator with a 300HP Yamaha four stroke. you can't even hear the engine.

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
HAVENT BEEN AROUND DIESELS MUCH,HUGH.I don't think the b series is an overly loud engine,but definatly louder than a outboard.I know some of the newer common rail diesels aren't as loud as the older ones.A box forward might help,but consider air to the engine,and heat dissipation.

mudhake

Captain
did a bunch of the mechanical cummins 315s with a engine box and never could quite them down to be civil. drive you nuts after half an hour, but still running and plennty of power....

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I took a ride downeast to Stonington, ME last Thursday to look at and test ride a 32 Holland with a 315 Cummins 6BTA. The boat was very nice and in good condition. the engine as 6150 hours. i had a very good mechanic with me who said there was some life left and the engine ran very well. What is really giving me pause is how LOUD the engine was. Engine box had about 1" of sound insulation but there is no box on the front half of the engine. I had to yell at the top of my lungs to speak when at 2000 to 2400 rpms. My question is this. Can an engine box in front of the bulk head, Sound downed and perhaps more sound down in the box behind the bulk head significantly reduce the noise? Otherwise if i make an offer I'm considering repowering with a QSB. I plan on using the boat strictly for recreational tuna fishing, I like to troll.

I really like the boat. It's a little expensive but kind of what I want. Also to put the noise in perspective I currently run a 23 Regulator with a 300HP Yamaha four stroke. you can't even hear the engine.

Don't expect the QSB to give "too much relief" in the noise dept.
Maybe a little less noise with 24 vs 12 valves and the electronic fuel injection.

If you buy the boat quiet it down with a "good size" engine box up front.
As Traditions stated, be careful "shoe horning" the engine in a box.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
regulator23,You can box the front of the motor as long as you make provisions for air.....you can not shut the air flow down

cb34

Rear Admiral
sound

Yes a box in the front will make a big difference along with better sound down with a barrier. It will never be close to your outboard. How many db did you read?

Regulator23

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
32 Holland
Thanks for the comments all. I did have a device for measuring the noise but it was extremely loud.

Another question. Making a bigger box, front and back, with extra sound insulation is better? Or just more? Meanning does the size of the box and the width of the sound insulation make that much difference?

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Thanks for the comments all. I did have a device for measuring the noise but it was extremely loud.

Another question. Making a bigger box, front and back, with extra sound insulation is better? Or just more? Meanning does the size of the box and the width of the sound insulation make that much difference?

Reg,
Might be easiest for you to contact Soundown directly on noise supression.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
Offer went into tonight. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

if you buy the boat, there are 2 ways to quit her down significant

first remove the junk foam they use for sound down

install
1. A leaded engine blanket
or
2. putt mass loaded vinyl where the junk foam is. Just doing the top will not help, have to get fully around the engine as sound waves reflect off everything.

Or live with it

Drakes

Lieutenant
you will be lucky to get 8000 out of that engine....most go around 6000

tunamojo

Rear Admiral
Website
Www.wickedweasel.com
Boat Make
Holland 32
4235515_20130215105450059_1_XLARGE_zpsc9490670.jpg

Top Bottom