32 Holland new build getting started soon

leaky

Vice Admiral
Moving along on the "deck frame" parts. Got the original two sections tabbed on, wasn't as hard as I thought (no swearing or mirror involved :) ) set 3 more sections initially in place last night and just got the hull & deck fillet run fully around them.

20200927_003456.jpg

20200927_153516.jpg

leaky

Vice Admiral
Set the last 4 sections in place on the flange parts. These three boxes created are what get sealed up to the bottom of the deck. Some details to complete first but the rest of the deck framing will just get bolted on.

20201001_202802.jpg

20201002_113453.jpg

leaky

Vice Admiral
Got that flange all tabbed in. In between winterizing toys and while making a decision on a couple things related to the deck frame, turned my attention to this fuel tank.

It was 5 pieces of glass tacked together with a hull and deck fillet, all cut & set together in the boat so it fit just right and I had left it.

I prepped and tabbed the inside with 1708 & VE resin and a veil of csm & fuel rated PE ISO over the tabbing, added a little baffle out of a scrap of exhaust tube to help keep fuel from rolling away from the pickup when the tank gets low, and ran another couple layers of 3/4 csm & the PE ISO around the inside with the last round of it waxed..

Then I sanded the top edge of the tank down true/square & lightly sanded the inside of the tank with a 120 grit to remove any loose hairs or bits.

The top of the tank I then ran 2x 1.5 ounce csm, with a layer of 24 oz woven sandwiched between & cut to fit inside the footprint, using waxed PE ISO, and I set the tank down atop the resin rich laminate and weighted it a bit.

Taking a week away in general but when I get back to this tank I will peel the tank & top off the waxed table, run a sander around to prep the top & cut the excess off, rounding the top corners a touch by hand and the rest of the corners to a more significant radius with a sander for easy tabbing. The top will be just well enough sealed and stuck to tab it on. Once its all tabbed together outside I will add fittings.

20201008_113853.jpg

20201008_120052.jpg

20201008_121156.jpg

20201008_122327.jpg

leaky

Vice Admiral
Couple updates.

Ran a little glass over the top of the flange then got everything all planed out on top as well as just generally cleaned up and ready for gelcoat on the bare areas.

Cut the exhaust holes through the boxed in zones and like some of you guys were saying the holes are so precise a little 4200 or anything will seal them up to the point were nothing could ever cause a problem. Decored the holes in the bulkhead there.

Adding a partial deck flange/support, in the corners, then between the little bulkhead and corners. Sticking the horizontal parts on with H&D. One corner left to do then will glass them on with upright gussets going down to the hull - I think I am just going to float 1708 to accomplish this, let gravity do its thing, tab the top and create the sides without a form using the same piece of 1708, then when that cures beef up the sides from the underneath.

20201026_190728.jpg

20201026_190746.jpg

20201026_190830.jpg

leaky

Vice Admiral
Tabbing the deck supports/partial-flange in now.

The more forward structures will get a good amount of glass added to the upright gussets, at the moment some H&D is curing on the inside that filled the crevices so I can lay the glass in there nice.

Corners supports are strong enough but I will probably add a bit to make them level with the rest of the deck supports atop the stringers and such, I left 3/16 or so to be sure I had room for 2x 1708 and a csm veil but I know that tabbing wasn't even 1/8 thick so probably will need another 1708 and veil or equivalent to get to level.

Burning some kero lately, is getting too cold at night for glass work without heat.

20201028_223224.jpg

20201028_223158.jpg

20201028_223150.jpg

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

leaky

Vice Admiral
I like this - really coming together.

Thinking about building Fuel )tank which I have never done) And I think I might be wanting to wipe down the interior with whatever fuel will go in it before closing it up just to make sure that whatever surface layer of stuff might be dissolved off once the tank is full is done before hand so my motor doesnt have to eat whatever it is. If anything...

Is that a thing?

Thank you.

I was thinking I would rinse it out with gasoline. Resin is rated for it and that should remove anything diesel would and then some.

At a minimum you potentially have surfacing agent wax and some dust from installing the fittings on top.

I should take a picture of that tanks current state, is all rounded off and ready for outside tabbing. Is going very well.

I am also considering building the main tank via a special interplastics VE rated for such. Started doing the math to see what it will cost me to build and what it will tip the scales at. Gotta get back and wrap this up at some point, make a decision if it will be this or welded.

16041624230583517382908044387686.jpg

leaky

Vice Admiral
Got everything all cleaned up and put the gelcoat over what was bare, touched up some existing gel where I made a mess while working in the deck flange parts.

Last deck support structures get bolted onto that last piece of stringer (an L) and the little bit of bulkhead outboard (a T). I may go cut those out momentarily.

20201101_170007.jpg

leaky

Vice Admiral
Picture of the current state on that tank, which needs outside tabbing and fittings added. You can see the inside tabbing through the glass.

Then the T and L stock which I think I will use for the rest of the deck supports. Both types need trimming and a little tinkering maybe but are about right.

One challenge is the stringers are not quite square vertically, just how they were set, center two are a little bit wider at the top than bottom and the outside 2 are parallel to the one inside of them, so if you go bolting a wide right angle it will not perfectly follow the deck.

I think my plan is to keep my work square is just attach via 2 rows of bolts and stack some washers between the support and stringer to shim the angle just right, which will also makeup for surface inconsistently with tabbing and such. Then when I have the formula figured out I will just bed in 5200 and bolt them on there. The 5200 will make it essentially one piece without any creaks under stress. Its also possible when I mock the parts up it becomes a big nothing that whatever I bed the deck in makes up for. Can't mock parts up today as there is too much fresh gelcoat to ding up.

20201101_175307.jpg

20201101_190101.jpg

leaky

Vice Admiral
Dry fitting the bolt on deck frame pieces, before I go bonding them.

So far OK, long angle is good and solid. A little 5200 and it will be perfect.

The bit of T on the outside wants to rock around more than I like despite 3x 3/8 bolts socked down. It may not matter and likely will totally resolve once I bed it in 5200 and it cures but bugs me, may tinker around a bit with the surface or even say the hell with it, prep to make a tooth and bed it in epoxy. The good thing though is the angles are right, follows the deck how I want.

On the starboard side you can see last 2 pieces of framing in this area fit up, isn't on port yet, parts for port are sitting back under the trap deck.

20201111_230745.jpg

leaky

Vice Admiral
I doubt you'll have any odd ball squeaking of the deck when the boat is splashed!

I'm trying to avoid the squeaks and pops, deck will be glued down, anything bolted I'll go & bed in a 4200 or 5200, and anything not glassed together any leaving a 1/4+ inch gap so nothing is squeaking.

On those little annoying outside pieces of the deck support, might go and continue the flange that's there to the outside of the hull. Hate making a mess in there now that it's all cleaned up and gelcoated, but really is a small area. Plan A didn't work how I expected and I know if I just glass the stupid things on there it will work.

Top Bottom