32 Mitchell Cove
32 mitchell cove 225hp 6068 no cage
-right now 24 x 22 3 cup wheel 17knts @2650
-book says max rpm is 2600 rpm
-I beleive I can fit a 26 wheel
-I can not find a 26 wheel to borrow asked everybody I know
-have a left wheel with 2" shaft
-2 to 1 gear
-boat mostly used for dragging but I don't want to give up speed.
-what should I buy or does someone have a good used one to buy
-? what size

BGII

Lieutenant
Seems propped perfectly right now. You want that rpm cushion for when the bottom is dirty, the boat full of gear, heavy with people, fish and ice, and you're bucking a strong tide. If you want more speed, just throttle up a little. You can easily run that enging at 2200-2300 cruising.

If you CAN fit a 26 inch wheel and still have enough tip clearance that would be good but you will have to lose pitch or you'll be overloaded for sure. Not sure how much more speed there is to gain. 14 knots cruising is pretty good for a boat that size with 225 HP. Probably burn only 7-8 gallons per hour doing it. That hull will fly but you need double the ponies to make it happen and you'll burn double the fuel.

Beautiful and efficient boat. I would enjoy it the way it is if it were me but that's just me

unclefish

Commander
Boat Make
32 Mitchell Cove
Thanks for help.
Wasn't sure how much the 26 wheel will help when dragging . Was thinking I could get a bigger set of doors to spread my bigger nets I have.

BGII

Lieutenant
The one thing you could look into is losing the cup in the wheel. Cup sucks up rpms but doesn't give much speed. Maybe try less cup and more diameter and see what happens. Extra rpms=available speed through added blade area or pitch. Need to keep tip clearance at 2-2.5 inches.

Prdlobster

Commander
Thanks for help.
Wasn't sure how much the 26 wheel will help when dragging . Was thinking I could get a bigger set of doors to spread my bigger nets I have.

Unclefish...do you have any pics of the 32 MC set up for dragging? It's got to be a slick little set up.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I have one on my boat. :confused:

I was thinking of taking it off and try a 28 x 21 or something....So one might be available to try.

26 x 22 LH x 2" and it has a cup of some kind in it.

Last edited:

unclefish

Commander
Boat Make
32 Mitchell Cove
Good deal I was trying to call friend to see if he still had his extra set he was selling. Pretty sure his where 28 x something I will still find out

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I ended up going to LBI fiberglass last year down in Groton. How far are you from there?

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
You are where you want to be. with the 24 X 22 #3. The #3 cup is very small maybe it is worth 30 RPMs. you could remove the cup and add 1q' of pitch, making the wheel a 24 X 23. I would not increase diameter and reduce pitch. You are better off with a close to square wheel for your vessel.

BGII

Lieutenant
Unclefish that is one beautiful boat. Pretty and rugged at the same time. Love it

Top Bottom