32 Mitchell Cove vs 32 Osmond Beal H&H

Aspiration33

Lieutenant
OK, here I go again, looking for answers.
I've concluded that 32 ft is the longest DE hull I can can go.

I like the lines of both the 32 H&H and the 32 MC
I have or will arrange "rides"/"trips" on both these hulls next year.

Does anyone have any opinions on what can expect as far as differences or similarities in the following:

1. Speed? 20 knot cruise absolute minimum
2. Ride comfort in a head sea?
3. Handling in a following see?
4. Visibility @ cruise? "I'm a short guy at 5'8", gotta be able to see out over the bow without standing all day.
5. Stability on the drift.
6. Forward cabin room and height, "need a standup head".

Power in either would be the new Cummins QSB 6.7 425/480 hp. (rated 3300)

Thanks, Bill D

I think that the 480 Cummins would be to much weight for a 32 H+H. Id go with the 32 MC if I were going to get one.

Boat_Pics_014.123174810_std.jpg

looks like "Karen Ann" charter boat, Howard Beach,NY

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I think that the 480 Cummins would be to much weight for a 32 H+H. Id go with the 32 MC if I were going to get one.

No issues with the 32 H&H hull handling the weight of a Cummins QSB 480.
There are a few 32 H&Hs built with Cummins 6BTAs. The engine weight is no concern.
Also, I spoke with Bruce Gindel up @ H&H. He said the 32 could easily handle the weight of a QSC 8.3 but the boat would not need that kind of power.

Think of ALL the boats/hulls that are holding 3208 CATs. +2000 lb engines.

The Cummins 6BTAs,QSBs and even the new 6.7 QSBs settle in around 1250+- lbs. The QSCs 1850 lbs.

For what it's worth,

Bill D

Aspiration33

Lieutenant
No issues with the 32 H&H hull handling the weight of a Cummins QSB 480.
There are a few 32 H&Hs built with Cummins 6BTAs. The engine weight is no concern.
Also, I spoke with Bruce Gindel up @ H&H. He said the 32 could easily handle the weight of a QSC 8.3 but the boat would not need that kind of power.

Think of ALL the boats/hulls that are holding 3208 CATs. +2000 lb engines.

The Cummins 6BTAs,QSBs and even the new 6.7 QSBs settle in around 1250+- lbs. The QSCs 1850 lbs.

For what it's worth,

Bill D

Actually, a 480 QSB weighs just over 1750 pounds I believe, because I was searching for an engine and Roger Kennedy from Kennedy Marine said he thought it would be too heavy and would lose fuel economy in my 33 YB and the 33 YB is the same dimensions as the 32 H+H giver take a few inches.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Actually, a 480 QSB weighs just over 1750 pounds I believe, because I was searching for an engine and Roger Kennedy from Kennedy Marine said he thought it would be too heavy and would lose fuel economy in my 33 YB and the 33 YB is the same dimensions as the 32 H+H giver take a few inches.

OK, just to keep all the facts straight.
There is a 32 H&H for sale with a Cummins 6BTA 370.

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

Nice boat, have talked with the owner, the boat goes good with the 370 and the weight.

OK, a Cummins 6BTA 370 weighs (no gear) 1280 lbs.

http://www.cmdmarine.com/Products/Recreational Inboard/6B/fr91260.pdf

OK, a Cummins QSB 480 weighs (no gear) 1450 lbs.

http://www.cmdmarine.com/Products/Recreational Inboard/QSB/fr92132.pdf

CAT 3126 weighs (no gear) 1592 lbs.

http://marine.cat.com/cda/files/1014619/7/Spec+Sheets+-+Cat+3126+Propulsion.pdf

And finally here's a 33 YB for sale with a 3216 CAT

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

I'd be very surprised if your 33 YB could not handle the weight of a 6BTA 370 or a QSB 480.

Bill D

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I'm surprised Roger said a QSB would be too heavy or have diminishing returns in a 33' YB. In my opinion, the QSB would be the ideal engine for that boat. If you want something in the 355-480 hp range, the QSB is about as light as they come, and one of the best diesel engines ever built IMO. Only thing lighter that offers similar hp would be a Yanmar, but the QSB is way more of a robust design than the Yanmar offerings. A 28' boat is plenty big for a QSB engine.

Keels Rock

Lieutenant
I'm surprised Roger said a QSB would be too heavy or have diminishing returns in a 33' YB. In my opinion, the QSB would be the ideal engine for that boat. If you want something in the 355-480 hp range, the QSB is about as light as they come, and one of the best diesel engines ever built IMO. Only thing lighter that offers similar hp would be a Yanmar, but the QSB is way more of a robust design than the Yanmar offerings. A 28' boat is plenty big for a QSB engine.

Nailed that one on the head interms of a way more robust design than the Yanmar offerings.....Sort of like the commercial version vs. the sporty model. qsb would be a fine weight in a 33 yb, its all about placement and weight distribution depending on whatever hull it's pushin. ;)

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Nailed that one on the head interms of a way more robust design than the Yanmar offerings.....Sort of like the commercial version vs. the sporty model. qsb would be a fine weight in a 33 yb, its all about placement and weight distribution depending on whatever hull it's pushin. ;)

Commercial vs sporty hp = hp/liter ratio

The higher the ratio = sporty
The lower the ratio = commercial

Aspiration33

Lieutenant
Commercial vs sporty hp = hp/liter ratio

The higher the ratio = sporty
The lower the ratio = commercial

This is just what Roger told me, this is why I went with a 300 John Deere and now have a 20 knot Cruise. I love the John Deere, it almost wants to start before I turn the Key.

Aspiration33

Lieutenant

As I said before, this is just what he told me.

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Aspiration- Does Roger sell John Deeres? For some reason I thought he only sold Cummins and Iveco... What 300 hp Deere do you have in your boat? My last boat had a 6081 Deere 375 hp, and I loved the engine; and the gauge package is the best I've seen.

Last edited:

Aspiration33

Lieutenant
Aspiration- Does Roger sell John Deeres? For some reason I thought he only sold Cummins and Iveco... What 300 hp Deere do you have in your boat? My last boat had a 6081 Deere 375 hp, and I loved the engine; and the gauge package is the best I've seen.

I have the 300 Deere, I bought it From Tim Toppins Marine and Diesel in Columbia Falls, I believe the Model is a 6068. I may be wrong, I just know I got the 2011 because the newly released 2012 has had a lot of warranty work done since september.

richardh

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
to many
you shoud look into a 33 crowley beal they go easy and with the power you are thinking about she would do over 30 knots

Top Bottom