3208 rebuild

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
What would it cost (approximately) to rebuild an older 3208t?

Just a ballpark figure if anyone has done it.
No major malfunctions, just a preemptive rebuild on a high hour block.

Thanks.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
A friend of mine had his done 2 years ago i believe it was approx 13k, but now he basically has a brand new 3208t. The boys who did it are in delaware i believe

SeaDog617

Ensign
In the Boston area you are looking at about 20k to have it done correctly. The big thing with the 3208's is to make sure that the cylinders get sleeved. Some guys just bore the cylinderrs over and put in oversize pistons. Although I've never liked it, you can get away with doing that on the new 3208 blocks. What year is the engine?

yanmar

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
26 chesepeake 22 tripp
Save yourself the hassle and resleeve if you are gonna spend money on a major then do it right . Less material = more heat and reliability issues .

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
It's all a matter of opinion, and i understand why some say go new, but here are somethings to weigh out, if you can get a motor totally rebuilt and ready to go another 5-8k hours for under 20k then your ahead of the game and its do-able.

A new motor for my boat and more then likely, a new prop, and maybe tranny and minimum is all said n done $35k-$40k. Thats a big difference.

The 3208t is so simple and easy to maintain it's scary, dont tun the balls out of them and they will go for what seems forever.
Oil, air and fuel and the engine runs. No computers no expensive solenoids to worry about just straight up mechanics. And almost any diesel mechanic can work on this motor.

Just my 2 cents

starrfish

Commander
Boat Make
35 duffy
went through this a few years ago with a 3208 TA.. rebuild was 13 to 16k..a new one was 20 (bobtail).. through southworth milton

Top Bottom