3208 ?????

james

Lieutenant
Boat Make
crusader 34
i have a 3208t that i purchased from a person that was a running take out after purchaasing and installing in my boat i found that it was actually a 3208 n that the person i bought the boat from had added the turbo parts to from a 375 hp motor the problem i have had with this is the engine will run fine make awesome power until you shut it down then it doesnt matter how much battery you have you cant spin her fast enough to restart i think the problem is that it still has the 3 ring natural pistons in it instead of the two ring lower compression turbo pistons and it tightens up due to expansion of the natural pistons because of the higher compression and heat has anyone ever converted there natural 3208 to turbo and did you change the pistons or did i just get ripped a new one buy this person? i have heard you can change the injection pump back to natural and keep the turbo on the engine because it wont create as much head pressure and heat due to lower fuel injected into the cylinder so im hoping some one has converted one of the naturals to turbo. i am trying to get this prob resolved by spring so i can use the boat to take local church kids and wounded warriors fishing offshore just to give back to my local community and show our youth there is more to life than video games and tv why watch it when you can live it

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
A 3208 N has different pistons that a 3208T & TA They are all different. You cannot just bolt on the turbo and or aftercooler without changing the pistons. You have your work cut. I believe the closes you can get with a 3208N by adding a turbo only is 260 HP & even so the injector pump needs to be either reset or replaced.

Last edited:

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
Nat vs turbo BIG DIFF !!!

Different blocks : turbo blocks have piston cooling jets
Rods are different between the two
turbo piston are 3 ring and came in various cc depending on boost
Camshaft profile is different
3 different turbo injection pumps with their own timing requirement
injectors are different
oil coolers are different
head castings are the same but valves are different

james

Lieutenant
Boat Make
crusader 34
Larry I know the pistons are all different and it is a big cluster fudge I'm just looking for some insight from anyone who may have had an issue like this I figure some one else has been screwed over somewhere along the way I already have the lower pressure injection pump and the smaller injectors to match my concern is eventually overloading the cylinders to the point of melting pistons or scarring the cylinders and ofcourse that no start prob after I shut her down

james

Lieutenant
Boat Make
crusader 34
Thanks for the insight on the engine differences guess I'll be looking for another running take out you can bet your ass it won't be from an old south ga shrimper

james

Lieutenant
Boat Make
crusader 34
I could but I'd have to replace the risers and all the original natural parts that I don't have I priced all the parts and buy the time I buy those I can buy a running take out anyone have a suggestion on a different power plant that they are happy with at this point I'm considering swapping from cat to Cummins for 2 reasons cost on parts and on fuel consumption

Kodiakan

Commander
Keep in mind their are a gazillion 3208N's out their and thus used parts galore. You might read the thread recently on the (usable) HP difference between a N and the lower HP T's. It was very informative (to me at least).......

pugsley

Captain
I could but I'd have to replace the risers and all the original natural parts that I don't have I priced all the parts and buy the time I buy those I can buy a running take out anyone have a suggestion on a different power plant that they are happy with at this point I'm considering swapping from cat to Cummins for 2 reasons cost on parts and on fuel consumption

are cummins parts cheaper??

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
You might read the thread recently on the (usable) HP difference between a N and the lower HP T's. It was very informative (to me at least).......

CATS A rated engine 3208N 2400rpm (continuous) 150 BHP

CATS A rated 3208 T 2400rpm (CS) 215 bhp

Unrestricted Continuous - A Ratings

For vessels operating at rated load and rated speed up to 100% of the time without interruption or load cycling (80% to 100% load factor).

Typical applications could include but are not limited to vessels such as freighters, tugboats, bottom drag trawlers, or deep river tugboats. Typical operation ranges from 5000 to 8000 hours per year.

Top Bottom