33 Flowers "Kit" Package

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Ken,

Attached are some pics of Todd's "kit boat" that he finished as the "Emily Rose"

I have a couple of questions for you.

The "blue tape" strips? Are those the fore and aft water lines?

Is the water line @ the top of the tape?

Is the water line figured at an estimated approximate finished weight ?

And the "tabbing ledge" on the inside of the hull that the wood cross joists are attached too......is the tabbing factory installed by Flowers Boat Shop?

Appreciated, Bill

33 Flowers Kit 1.jpg

33 Flowers Kit 2.jpg

33 Flowers Kit 5.jpg

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Bill,The thing you call a "tabbing ledge"....is known as a floor flange from most builders

mainely boats

Captain
Bill,
I honestly don't remember where we set those lines to, it looks in the picture that the top of the tape is the estimated water line. As far as a 'kit boat' most of our customers have budgets to work with and we set down with them and figure out what they think they can do and what they would rather not do. Every boat is different and so is the price.

Madchark

Commander
Bill,

As Ken stated, the blue tape is estimated water line and the floor flange was installed by Ken and set with a pitch to the stern.

T.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
When i pulled the decks out of the jc, they were douglas fir. There were no signs of weakness or rot in the deck framing. When i re-did the decks we went right back in with fir 2x4's planed of a lil bit. For twenty years of saltwater environment it looked great!

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Fresh water rots wood not salt water. Douglass fir stringers layup as shown will last the life of the boat. I am not sure how the tabbing edge was installed. It looks like the hull gets thicker below the tabbing edge. I assume that it is done with coring but I am not sure. Looks like a quality build so far. Window layout will play a big part the curb appeal of the finished vessel.

cb34

Rear Admiral
Wood

With out ample air flow they will rot and softon.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
When decks get soft it is unsually the coring that goes and not the stringers. Holds in decks without decoring can spread like wildfire. Unlike anyother arae fresh water gets to sit and slow seep in taking out the coring.
This core sample is off the bow of my JC 28 years old and very healthy. The other photo is the stringer arraignment that JC used back in the day. The deck was a cored drop in liner and it was rock solid to this day.

CCI05042010_00000.jpg

storm 062.jpg

Madchark

Commander
As stated above, if you keep the water out and have propper ventilation the all will be good. Pictures of star.port side deck vents and stern vents.

Picture 211.jpg

Picture 404.jpg

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I made a mistake posting a picture of Todd's "Emiliy Rose" using his hull as a reference for a question about "kit boat options"!

Todd, please accept my apology.

I did NOT want this thread to become a series of questions, critiques and opinions on "how to build out a kit boat!

I should have known better, I've done it myself!;)

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
When decks get soft it is unsually the coring that goes and not the stringers. Holds in decks without decoring can spread like wildfire. Unlike anyother arae fresh water gets to sit and slow seep in taking out the coring.
This core sample is off the bow of my JC 28 years old and very healthy. The other photo is the stringer arraignment that JC used back in the day. The deck was a cored drop in liner and it was rock solid to this day.

Larry,

I too have had sandwich cored decks, also very strong and hard. The one thing i noticed on the duffy's that i looked over was ply laid on top of stringers and just the top end glassed with cloth. I also still use wood in my repairs and builds as well as new composites. But i also coat the wood, with a paint system or resin depending where it is

Latest Posts

Top Bottom