33 Young Brothers Hull $7500

MikesMarine22

Captain
Boat Make
Holland 14, YB 33
looked at this 33, rough. Not ready for paint. Great project hull but needs alot of money put into it. Might be easier to buy a new one.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
There are times when you are better off "biting the $bullet$" and buying a new hull and top!
I agree with Bill...sometimes you think your saving a few bucks but by the time you prep that old hull it wasnt worth it

harpoon83

Lieutenant Commander
i think for the right person that hull would be a great bargain, doing the work yourself, not using all the new expensive composite material, just old fashion plywood and glass.

She's an old work boat, that needs to be completely gutted and rebuilt properly.

unclefish

Commander
Boat Make
32 Mitchell Cove
you are right you could do it cheap find a old wood hull and pull running gear out of it. roll and tip some awlgrip on outside. use some plywood for house. you are still going to end up with a 1978 boat. which is not a bad thing cause it probally has twice the glass in it. you just wont have the resale in the end.

harpoon83

Lieutenant Commander
yeah, its definatly not a boat to build with hopes of making your money back on resale, but if you wanted to build something and hang onto it.
I know you can get that hull for much less than 7500, but im sure someone with some time and a little know-how will end up with a long project.

myentourage

Commander
I know someone who just glassed over the wood on his 49 footer. He did all the work himself along with a few guys to help with the grinding in between coats. The whole job when it was all said and done came out to be 18k. He also glassed the deck and replaced some wood. So needless to say they are not giving the materials away to do some kind of project like that. But i guess its all what you make of it.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
I rebuilt a 36 Northern Baythat was no where near as gone as this hull. In the end I wish I had bought a new hull. I would have had around 10k more into the boat and around the same amount of man hours. Striping out an old hull takes alot of time. By the time I was done the only thing that was original was the shaft, deck and tanks. Well last season I upgraded the shaft and right now the decks are out because the tanks leaked after the boat went in and I dealt with it for 3 seasons before I bit the bullet for new ones. A barrel of poly resin is now over $1000, it adds up quick.

jojobee

Commander
I think of it as just a work boat. Kirby paint not awlgrip. Plywood deck not composite. rubber set windows not diamond seaglass. Above deck stern fuel tank and a rebuilt 4-71 detroit.

MikesMarine22

Captain
Boat Make
Holland 14, YB 33
The skeg on this 33 was also broken off where the rudder is mounted. After filling all the holes that have been drilled into it for tower, pulpit, other thru hulls to finish the hull off and paint it I just do not think it is worth the effort. HUGE project.

Top Bottom