33 young Brothers

knotalot

Deckhand
First Name
keith
Anybody care to throw out a ballpark # on what it may cost to covert this, or any lobsterboat to a cruiser? Materials cost not labor costs.
I only ask as I've seen quite a few lobsterboats like this that look pretty well cared for with relatively low hours on their motors, like this one that may make more sense to convert than repowering a cruiser with a tired engine.

Jjammer

Admiral
Boat Make
36 Stanley / John Williams
Anybody care to throw out a ballpark # on what it may cost to covert this, or any lobsterboat to a cruiser? Materials cost not labor costs.
I only ask as I've seen quite a few lobsterboats like this that look pretty well cared for with relatively low hours on their motors, like this one that may make more sense to convert than repowering a cruiser with a tired engine.
10-20k if you do the labor

jweir

1st Mate
Lite User

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

ssevenjohn

Deckhand
mine has no cage. i cruise 16 and 20 at the wall. great on fuel. and you will have an engine box. i like mine.

knotalot

Deckhand
First Name
keith
I think what you define as a cruiser would have a huge swing in the guesstimate. If you are looking for a genny, galley, full head/shower ( as many define a cruiser) All this would be tough to fit in a 33 YB and I think you’d double the cost of the boat. Now if you are talking a day cruiser with bare bones comforts I’d guess 15-30 if you do the work. Material prices are just crazy now and add up real quickly.
I should have clarified some of what I'd want to do before asking for a guesstimate. I ask the question mainly to get a ballpark figure of what I'd have into it at the end, & if I want to be there.
For me I'd say minimal but includes extending & enclosing the house, with seating/bunk, head & water systems, & a vee berth.
So I think a day cruiser as you say that likely would be used for single overnights. Don't see myself actually using it for extended cruising.
The biggest limitations I see doing this with many lobster boats are short cabins & engines mounted fwd of the bulkhead taking away from that already small space. Not that much time is spend down there, but a factor nonetheless.
So they're asking 60g for this boat. I see easily another 20-30g to do the minimal stated above. I have to ask myself to I want to be into it for 90? Probably not, but that low hr JD is appealing & why I ask the questions.
On the flip side, I'm going to look at a 32 BHM this morning with a tired gas engine that going into it I know will need to be replaced. A new diesel would be out of the equation for me cost wise so a good RTO would be the only way I could swing that. Or just replace it with a new gas engine which would be fine for my purposes, I think. Everything else configuration wise is done.

jweir

1st Mate
Lite User

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

ssevenjohn

Deckhand
I bought a derelict 33 YB. Work was done in 2012-2014, lunched in spring of 2105. it was posted on here as work was done. Boat was framed in white oak with okumi plywood and glass over that.Everything was new except solid glass hull-1978. the main bulkhead was moved 4' forward and wheelhouse is 7'6" in length.13'cockpit. new fuel tanks ,steering shaft,etc. boat is not light.Also has 23'stand and mast around17'off deck. Those cruise numbers and wot are correct.Trunk has v-berths and counter top and space for head. I lowered the sole so I can stand in trunk...I am 6'3''.

ssevenjohn

Deckhand
The motor is aft of the main blkhd so i made a center companionway...it makes for better space below.also have a sliding panel on stbd side for air. winterback is canvas so the panels roll up to open everything up

knotalot

Deckhand
First Name
keith
We’re basically chasing the same idea. V-berth head sink below. I want extended top and port side house but open starboard probably with canvas enclosure. Realistically I’m a year out of being in a spot to commit to a project right now. I’m wrestling with figuring the best hull for my wants at this point. I figure I’ll be $100k to get anything close to what I want . What I don’t want is to be $100k into a boat and be disappointed in the performance when I’m done. Oh and it’s gotta look pretty!
sounds like we are although I was hoping to be under 75g all in. It ain’t easy with the costs today that’s for sure.

knotalot

Deckhand
First Name
keith
I bought a derelict 33 YB. Work was done in 2012-2014, lunched in spring of 2105. it was posted on here as work was done. Boat was framed in white oak with okumi plywood and glass over that.Everything was new except solid glass hull-1978. the main bulkhead was moved 4' forward and wheelhouse is 7'6" in length.13'cockpit. new fuel tanks ,steering shaft,etc. boat is not light.Also has 23'stand and mast around17'off deck. Those cruise numbers and wot are correct.Trunk has v-berths and counter top and space for head. I lowered the sole so I can stand in trunk...I am 6'3''.
I came across that thread this morning actually. Nicely done! Where’s the boat? I read you may have a place on Newagen?
I’m in the Harbor & would love to see it

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Top Bottom