34’ webbers cove rewriting?

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by Fishnjess, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Fishnjess

Fishnjess Senior Member

Hey all,
    My rebuild is going well on the refurbishing and updating this old boat. But, now this next part is out of my range of comfort. As I look around at this boat, it was wired with a rats nest design and no real cause or concern for many parts. It has been rigged up cheap with electrical for 30 amp, but with home electrical panel and breakers.
    In my opinion, it should be a clean slate and a fresh start.
    Wish list:
    1. a set of starter batteries, I believe group 27 will be ok. This diesel requires 24 volts to crank.
    2. Two house bank 8 d batteries for lots of reserve.
    3. I would like to do 1 panel for ac and 1 panel for dc.
    4. I will need to recharge the house bank and the starter batteries. I will be installing a new alternator on this 3160, but I’m unsure. Go with a 75 amp or go for a little more and go for a 150 amp. The cost is not as important as functionality in my thought process.
    5. Down the line I would like to do a small 3 or 6kw generator.

Like most on this site, I would like to stretch my dollar and get the most in product for the least out of pocket. This old gal needs work, but I want to do all of that by myself.

Phase 1:
    This boat needs the helm moved forwar about 2 feet. All of the old electrical is directly behind the helm. My gut is telling me to disconnect all the motors electrical, label it all carefully, and then rip out the rest.
    Phase 2:
    Moving the helm back and then redoing the station. I plan on leaving around 12-14” behind the helm for wiring, panels, on/off battery switches, etc. This will sacrifice a little bit of space down in the galley area, but it will work out in the future of reconfiguring that space as well.
    Phase 3:
    Wiring, panels, switches, breaker switch, mounting and hookup.
    I need a little help with what I should get and what shouldn’t I get. I like the blue seas products. They are a little pricey but it will be the last boat I do. Eventually a used diesel generator. New batter bank area and such.
    Any help in the direction will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jesse

2. goin4broke

goin4broke Captain

Electrician
    Boat Make:
    35 Foot Terry Jason (Currently undergoing finishing touches)
    I’m going Blue Seas for my panels. Have heard good things about them, seem to stand behind their product and you can find parts just about anywhere. Not sure if their stuff is made in China or not. I would stay away from anything generic made in China. I have heard stories in my trade they are knocking off GE plug in breakers (most commonly found in houses) that sell real cheap. I guess that’s the clue to beware. The breakers are actually only switches, no overcurrent protection at all!

As far as batteries go, personally I’m torn between 8D’s or 6vdc golf cart batteries of equal rating for the house stuff.

Save harnesses of course, and I would trash the rest. Starting with a clean slate is better because you will have the confidence that it was taken care of. Best to avoid sleepless nights. The only other advise I can give is terminations. Use a good quality connector. I use Panduit high temperature crimping ring terminals (heavy duty compared to the stuff you find at worst marine) and adhesive shrink tube.

Some people will recommend crimp terminals, soldering, anti-oxidant then heat shrink. I think that is overkill unless the connection is constantly submerged.

Just my two cents.

3. Fishnjess

Fishnjess Senior Member

Thanks for the input. That’s the road I’m going down. Don’t mind spending the money, as long as it’s money well spent and it holds up.

4. Brooksie

Brooksie Captain

Boat Make:
    Bruno-Stillman 35
    Get yourself a couple of books on boat wiring and understand them. Use the best quality stuff you can find. Use an ACR to control the charge between battery banks. Install digital volt meter/s. Use LED lighting, super extra insulate a small fridg, then forget the generator. Blue Seas has good stuff. I like WayTek for wire and stuff. Tinned marine wire only, if in doubt, go larger.

Genius likes this.