34 Duffy vs 35 low sheer Duffy

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
I was wondering if anyone here could tell me if the 34 is as good as the 35 low sheer.....or what is the major difference....or was the 35 made by stretching the 34 a bit

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I remember the 34 as a first attempt fisherman boat builder by Richard Duffy. He with the help from dad started building a 34 in the duffy's kitchen:D. I can relate.. I did the same thing on a much smaller scale. A 23 footer. They finished the boat and made the plug etc and /Richard went and fished it. Others wanted the boat to . Before you know it Richard was putting out 34s to the other lobsterman. Richard loves lobstering and he grew out of the 34 and needed something a little bigger and better. He got Spencer Lincoln to design what became the 35 Duffy. It was well advanced over any other hull of its size. That is why so many are around. ?everyone wanted the 35 duffy. Even the NB36 is a expanded version of the 35 Duffy. There were some things that were done to the hull that never were done before including test tanked models. The 35 was a obvious improvement over the 34 so Richard stopped production of it. The 34 was built more old school of a wood hull tradition which many glass boats were at that time.

I was always told the low sheer duffy is a better hull than the high sheer. I don't know what the difference is other than the freeboard height.

Last edited:

pugsley

Captain
I was always told the low sheer duffy is a better hull than the high sheer. I don't know what the difference is other than the freeboard height.

maybe the deck i higher in the high sheer making it feel rollier (is that a word?) but i'm just totally guessing

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
maybe the deck i higher in the high sheer making it feel rollier (is that a word?) but i'm just totally guessing

Yes there would be some of the advantages to having the high sheer. You could have a higher deck and get the whole engine under the deck. More knee room to lean on the inside railing if someone didn't lower the deck on the low sheer. Yes, The higher the deck off the water the more roll you feel.

I lowered everything on my boat I have plenty of leg room so it doesn't really feel like you would fall out of the boat. Lowered engine . The engine box I have is for the dry exhaust pipe. Otherwise a wet exhaust may provide a flush deck or at lest a engine cover only a couple inches high. I like the Engine box. My NB has a flush deck so I stack crates there to create a box which subs as a work station. Its the best spot on the boat for one. So a engine box doesn't have to be a downfall if you want to be practical about it. The plus in the NB is, I can move it. A real engine box is there.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Lobster,do you know the beam of the 34?

I don't recall the beam. I do remember the 34 is noticeably smaller for only being a foot smaller. The hull was supposed to be rough too. The hull is taken off a wood plug as it would be built as a boat. Then the plug was sold as a wooden boat. I'll assume the 34 was done like that since that's how it was done back then. I think the 32bhm wood plug boat is for sale somewhere around NE now . My son said he saw it somewhere.

BGII

Lieutenant
Mdi

Got your info MDI as I owned a 34 and know the 35 very well. Pics will show a lot.

34 was made from '78-'81. It is 11' at beam, 8'10" across the stern. With it's round bilge, full wet keel, deep belly in the hull, and narrow transom, it is the best following sea boat I have been on. Good in a head sea, but WET. A bit rolly but sat nice like a duck. Waves rolled under the boat well. With its 225 Deere it cruised at 11 knots at 1,950 burning 5 gallons per hour. At 2,250 she did 13.5-14 knots burning 7gph. 18 knots wide open. Stern dug in and dragged a big stern wave above 14 knots. It is a small 34 with very little room below deck. Headroom forward was around 5'.

The low shear 35 is flatter from bow to stern, wider, especially at the transom and has more forefoot at the bow. A bigger, faster, overall nicer riding workboat.

Hope that helps!

HPIM0552.jpg

HPIM0551.jpg

HPIM0554.jpg

pugsley

Captain
i know a couple guys down here had flush decks on the bigger canadian boats, and they went back and put boxes on the deck, no matter what they did couldn't keep them water tight, and stink free

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Brooklyn Girl,Thank you for the info....what a difference seeing them side by side

Top Bottom