34 southshore info

DIRTY RIGGERS

Lieutenant
This is a completely hypothetical idea at this point but just wanted to see what the majority thinks. Lots of variables I know...

I came across an unfinished 34 south shore hull for sale. Owner said it was cored with kledgcell. It's an old hull late 80's I think. But still it was never finished. Looks like the bulkheads were installed and that's about it. Totally a clean slate. The hull I'm looking at has been for sale for quite a while and I'm in no rush. I've communicated with the owner a handful of times a few months ago and he seemed like a cool dude who just didn't have time for a project. Pretty sure he is a member here but not positive. Either way, I just saw it listed again online and figured I may be able to give it a more serious look than I did a few months back.

I was tossing the idea around on a project 30 ft repco but this south shore is a much larger hull and looking at the big picture a little more closely, this bigger hull may suit me and the fam a little better and it's much closer to me geographically. Considering that the repco will need all new house and decks anyways I might as well just get the bigger hull and go with it if I could get it for a decent deal. No demo to deal with either witch is always nice.

Looking to see of there are any south shore 34 owners on the board and what they are seeing as far as cruise and WOT numbers with what sort of power as well as economy. I'd be satisfied with a 14-16kt cruise. Not looking to get crazy with power. Probably a cummins 5.9 of some sort. It wouldn't be heavily outfitted. Just a typical stick built trunk cabin/house with a bunk, head and some cabinets. Possibly a small a/c to be used at the dock. More of a barebones islands cruiser. I'd be using composites to build the house and decks.

Would a 330 cummins push the south shore to the cruise numbers above or would it need more HP to attain that? Would it even need that amount of hp if outfitted sparingly? If anyone has run one or helped outfit one then I'm all ears.

The boat needs to be able to handle a usual bank chop but also be able to maintain a 12+ kt cruise into 3-5's if it kicked up while crossing the gulf stream. Any bigger than that and I'd just wait it out. No need to beat the shit out of the boat anymore or myself. I'm over that crap.

Last edited:

Hammer Slammer

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
I have logged a couple hundred hours on a 34' south shore. It had a 63 series volvo 370 hp, it went real well 18-19 knot cruise. By far the best boat I have been down sea and beam sea in. A head sea you will feel it. The biggest disadvantage of this hull is you will need a engine box.

DIRTY RIGGERS

Lieutenant
Thanks for the insight Hammer.

I am gonna try and go contact the owner and take a look at the boat hopefully real soon, then maybe toss out an offer on the incomplete hull if everything works out. I figured that hull might be a little stiff into a head sea but I don't intend on running into anything too crazy bc my daughter is pretty tiny still and I want to bring her with us to the islands so the weather will have to be prett decent. Looks to be a skeg built boat which is one of the main reasons I want it. Easier to push. The following sea and beam sea info really helps b/c it will spend a lot of time on the hook and drifting. I don't want to make the family too seasick. lol. I've read some good things about the SS 34 just haven't stepped foot on one just yet. But like I said, I'm not looking for anything too fancy. Just want something efficient and cheaper to maintain.

Did the one you ran have full length spray/lift rails? The hull I'm looking at doesn't have any at all. I was thinking of just building some 1/3 length to knock down the spray at first if I got the boat.

Also do you remember how far forward the engine was in regards to the main steering bulkhead? I know you said they need an engine box. No big deal there. Was the engine pretty far into the cabin? Was there standing room in the trunk cabin at all? I know it is a 34 but it's not the biggest 34 footer out there. I'd assume there is room to stash a small enclosed head and a v berth depending on how it was laid out.

I'm in a unique position b/c I could build the cabin a little taller to be able to stand inside but I don't wanna F up the lines by having this giant trunk on the boat. Also the main steering bulkhead is already in place on this particular hull. Doesn't seem to be any engine beds yet in the pics so I have some wiggle room there.

Thanks again for the reply.

Hammer Slammer

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
We put some smart rails on it and added a short strip of rail material to the transom to drop the bow of the boat. The rails never went to the water line because the boat was used for harpooning.
The engine was 75% in the cabin but the house was stick built so I have no idea were it compares to others.

DIRTY RIGGERS

Lieutenant
Cool man thanks for the info! It is appreciated. I know some of these boats can be weight sensitive when it comes to engine placement so I was just trying to get an idea.

So does anyone know the lineage on the 34 south shore? Is it the same as a 34 Calvin Beal? Did Calvin Beal design the hull? Just trying to gather some intel here. Iif I get the hull I would post the build up on the board for all to see but that is a ways off I think. Never know though!

cb34

Rear Admiral
South Shore

South Shore 30, 34, & 38 are all Calvin Beal early design. The 34 SS is a completely different hull than the contemporary 34 Calvin. The 34 SS is a great hull, easy pushing. The big concern with the hull you are looking at is the type or core used. Do not know the details but that is why the hull has been for sale for so long. Do your home work.....

DIRTY RIGGERS

Lieutenant
Thanks for the intel CB34. I know, I've been thinking about it and that boat has been for sale on and off CL for quite some time. I figured it was mainly bc you can get a kit hull without the house for not much more but who knows. As far as the dude selling it, he says its cored with kledgecell. Personally I'm a fan of a solid glass hull but the only reason I was even considering a cored boat was b/c kledgecell is a good composite for hull coring. If it isn't then that is pretty much a deal breaker. Of course I haven't seen the hull in person yet. Just pics so far but I appreciate the heads up.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
When you consider the cost of building a new boat, the insane amount of hours, the stress, the late nights, the fumes, etc, etc. It only makes sense to start with a new hull. The hull is not the expensive part of the boat, it's the cheap part of the boat. It's all the other stuff like the engine, tanks, windows, doors, core material, fiberglass supplies, resin, safety supplies, tools, electronics, shaft, rudder, prop, steering, etc, that all cost a lot. Think about it, a new 30' Calvin Beal hull is $22,000. The 34' Calvin hull is $24,000, that's peanuts when you consider the cost of building a new boat. When you start with a new hull, you know what you have.

DIRTY RIGGERS

Lieutenant
Oh I totally agree with you Powderpro. That's what I was saying in my last post. The dude has the hull listed for 20k obo and it is quite an old hull albeit still is an unfinished one in good shape that has never seen the water. But as you said, a new CB 34 is 24k and it will come with that new poly resin smell. lol. In my opinion the hull in question which is late 80's should sell for somewhere less than 10k, but that's just my opinion and it probably aint worth much.

jigger80

Lieutenant
We put some smart rails on it and added a short strip of rail material to the transom to drop the bow of the boat. The rails never went to the water line because the boat was used for harpooning.
The engine was 75% in the cabin but the house was stick built so I have no idea were it compares to others.

Hammer Slammer, what was the name of the 34 SS you were on?

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Oh I totally agree with you Powderpro. That's what I was saying in my last post. The dude has the hull listed for 20k obo and it is quite an old hull albeit still is an unfinished one in good shape that has never seen the water. But as you said, a new CB 34 is 24k and it will come with that new poly resin smell. lol. In my opinion the hull in question which is late 80's should sell for somewhere less than 10k, but that's just my opinion and it probably aint worth much.

The seller is in dream land if his asking price is $20k obo. A hull like that is likely more trouble than it's worth. I wouldn't pay $2k for it, but that's just me.

longislander89

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
23 seacraft
Makes sense to buy new it seems. Like Powderpro says even at 2k it doesn't make sense.

$2,000 for hull plus 100k+ to finish it. $102,000+ for a 20yr old hull with unknowns.

$24,000 for hull plus 100k+ to finish. $124,000+ for a brand new set up.

The difference is marginal when you look at the complete project. But it's easy to spend someone else's money

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Makes sense to buy new it seems. Like Powderpro says even at 2k it doesn't make sense.

$2,000 for hull plus 100k+ to finish it. $102,000+ for a 20yr old hull with unknowns.

$24,000 for hull plus 100k+ to finish. $124,000+ for a brand new set up.

The difference is marginal when you look at the complete project. But it's easy to spend someone else's money

Very good points longislander- Although to turn-key a new 30'-34' Downeast will be more than $100,000 after you purchase the hull. Even if you did all the labor yourself, which 99% of guys cannot; there are things like installing the engine and running gear that require a high level of competence and knowledge. Knowing where to put the engine, fuel tank, and other systems is also important so the boat is correctly balanced in the water. But the parts alone will be over $100,000 to completely finish the boat, which makes the initial purchase price of the hull even less consequential. In my opinion, if you are going to spend the money and time to turn key a new boat, get the hull and engine you want. You can save money in other areas and upgrade later as money becomes available. It is hard to upgrade the hull or engine in 4 years, it is easy to upgrade electronics, cook tops, A/C's, wash down pumps, etc. later. There are things you can go without for a few years, but being unhappy because your boat is a little too small, or the engine doesn't have the power you want, just makes life miserable. I've been there, done that, and won't do it again. Plus the new hull when finished will be worth way more than the old hull when you go to sell it.

Last edited:

Hammer Slammer

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
The only benefit of the older hull is that you could put a older engine (not tier 2 or 3) that could be 20k there alone.
Justified is the name of the boat my buddy had, he sold it 2 years ago

DIRTY RIGGERS

Lieutenant
CB 34 kind of off topic but the house on the boat in your sig looks amazing! Love that thing!!! Got a bigger pic you can post up somewhere?

southshore30

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
36 Northern Bay

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
Going to guess his asking price was more than he paid for it originally! It is a Calvin Beal jr hull. I have his 30' that I finished myself back in 02 and still own it. I have a 370 Yanmar in mine with all the speed I need. I can cruise at 23 knots @ 2950rpm but usually run it down around 2750-2800 I think to get 19knots. That's where she likes to ride and runs beautiful with weight in it. By that I mean full fuel and a crew of guys. I run charters...... I have a friend with the 34 and a 300 Yanmar in it and they do 16knots cruise if I remember correctly and they are finished off as a yacht cruiser. I paid under 20k for my hull and deck. It was 23k with the shaft, deck flanges installed, V berth mold, hull and deck glued and bolted together and the rudder and gear back in 02'. Back then Webbers Cove had the molds for the 30 and 34. They really are easy pushing hulls with beautiful lines in my opinion.

In your experience, how are the South Shore hulls in a head sea? I really admire the lines on those hulls as well but always wonder if they ride as "hard" in a head as some other skeg designs.

cb34

Rear Admiral
30 ss

The 30 SS has a very fine entry. I am very impressed with the ride. For a small boat this is a good hull in a head sea.

southshore30

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
36 Northern Bay

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
Not sure who told you they ride hard in a head sea, the SS30 is like a wave axe. It rides very well in a head sea. Very sharp entry. I built trim tab pockets into the stern of mine so I have the control to push the bow down a bit in a chop and that makes a world of difference

Nobody told me that. I was asking how the head sea ride was, because I didn't know.

Top Bottom