Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

sailor of fortune

Rear Admiral
First Name
Jack
Boat Make
2 Home made skiffs
To me? To get it running I'd swap the steering over to passive hydraulic, change the oil in the engine and gear, put some rod holders in it, and slap my ipad mount on the dash and use the heck out of it for a summer. I heard it's a 1 3/8" shaft, so that would be on an upgrade list over time. Fix the rot over time, plan for a new deck in a year or two. Oh I'd throw a head down forward too. That's just me and my personal opinion. I want a simple boat I can jump on and use, and I'm VERY ok with a fixer upper.
John, thats basically my brothers scenario as well. He didn't want the transportation costs and hassle of moving it from Georgia. He doesn't give a hoot about mirror gelcoat finishes.
Family time (beer drinking) on the back side of Cranes Beach and some fishing on Stellwagon and thats about it. He has free moorage in front of his house and his own dinghy dock so minimal costs. Fleet expansion was his term,lol

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
If it runs good, someone might consider running it up here on it's own bottom, maybe in warmer weather. Make a complete adventure out of it. I'd leave it in storage for the winter and splash it in the spring due to lack of creature comforts. What better way to learn the ICW than in a boat that already needs work. ;)

sailor of fortune

Rear Admiral
First Name
Jack
Boat Make
2 Home made skiffs
If it runs good, someone might consider running it up here on it's own bottom, maybe in warmer weather. Make a complete adventure out of it. I'd leave it in storage for the winter and splash it in the spring due to lack of creature comforts. What better way to learn the ICW than in a boat that already needs work. ;)
that rip would suck in this boat. I have been up and down the ICW over the years in all kinds of boats, mostly yachts but also some workboats... Believe me, the "romance of the sea" will wear off on a utilitarian boat delivery like this. No protection from the wx at all. No side curtains, winter back or heat. Everything can be improved but that takes time...read expense while outfitting and figuring out what you need and providing it. Is it possible? for sure. I would have done it 30 or 40 years ago but no longer.

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
Fg hull and top with a partial wood deck. She has worked all her life, just not commercial fishing. She was built and used as the Cumberland island ferry. So as expected, she has some battle scars on the aft corners that were "Fixed" with marine tex type repairs. If it was for sale north of Cape May, NJ it would be gone. As said, no electronics, cabin amenities etc.

My brother would have bought this in a heartbeat...except it would need to be transported to Ipswich, Ma. Not w

Quik Fix 16

Captain
Boat Make
Shamrock
Won't work .....
You know that? Has anyone actually made an offer? I don't believe they want the boat in the yard for a long time. I wouldn't. They may think as I do. Move it and move on. I don't know. Some here have actually had personal contact and would have a feel for the deal. If you have a feel for the deal, please PM to me.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make

xbskt

Vice Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
28 Crowley Beal
From what I was told they are firm on the price. The boat hasn't sold yet, so that may change over time. Who knows. It'll sell at some point. Fleet Expansion, I like that Jack, I'll swing it by my wife and see what she thinks!!
This in my opinion would be a better venture for a few DEBF members to go in on rather than buying a boatyard.
On the other hand where are all the folks looking for an inexpensive DE?
If $25k for a 35 ft. Bruno with a rebuilt motor doesnt get it done I have no idea what will.
"Make an offer" just seems like you are being a cheapskate but it is a matter of perspective like a lot of things.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
Last edited:

Boxerboy2

Lieutenant
Are you talking Power Steering or passive? Personally I'd go passive. $950 for the adjustable helm and 750ish for a cylinder from Tony Athens. I'd run copper tubing aft instead of hoses and just make jumper hoses to go from the tubing to the cylinder. If you're doing the work yourself, $2000-$2500.

That's also if you're worried about the chain steering. If it were me, and the chain steering looked to be in fine shape, I'd start looking on ebay, CL, and FB Marketplace for a take out system of someone else's boat, a used capilano helm, used cylinder, go that route. But I'm cheap, and used stuff needs a home too.
I was thinking that a slave cylinder was more like 2K?

PatriciaLynn

Captain
Boat Make
Repco
Offer stands! $2500+ expenses and she can be home to the south end of Cape Cod Canal! I drove one home a few years ago from Jersey. Yeah it was a terrible time, but got a screaming deal and a decent workboat.

Top Bottom