Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

Hooper

Captain
Never understood the teak varnished door on a fiberglass winterback, have seen it a fair amount of times and to me it's like a very pretty girl with a hairy mole on her cheek.

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
Been for sale for a long time. Then owner has posted here before. I think she looks great, but it is old.

Last edited:
Boat Make
Jarvis Newman 36
old boat

Understanding that some of these older hulls may not be as fast or as wide, if the hull is in great condition what is the issue? I understand many of the Bruno hulls were balsa cored and warrant careful inspection. Interested in the feedback on this. This boat looks pretty nice in the pictures. Thanks

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

riskybusiness

Commander
Boat Make
35 five islands
yah but you could say this about anything, there are plenty of older boats out there that are put together much better than a lot of new ones...you shouldn't just shitcan one because of the age, look at how it was done and kept up...theres nothing to be scared about with Bruno's as long as you do have a reputable surveyor go through it and check keel post area and the rudder box on the 42's there are still about a million of them fishing day in and day out...but a lot of people really maintain there older boats well....if you have to have the yard do every single thing then maybe not your thing, but if your handy at all and don't mind a few little projects here and there theres no reason to be scared.....
and that out dated Detroit will bring you home running on 4 out of 8 cylinders if u need, a buddy of mine with a 6-92 was scalloping for 4 weeks on 3 cylinders.....didn't even notice it... even towing an 8' drag

Issues that come to mind when I see a boat older than 15 years are:

hull blisters
gel coat fade
overall wear and tear on all surfaces (nicks and chips in topsides, worn non skid)
core issues
old wiring issues
poor re-paint jobs
leaky windows
general technology deficiencies (loran, 8.2 detroit type engines that out of production, etc.)

Hulls will last a long time so its not such a hull specific statement as much as it is just a reality with any man made item that is old. I dont mean to say that all old boats are bad (just sold my '76) but there are many parts that can go bad and unless they are all replaced at some point, an old boat will have some old parts that may become issues. Just something to careful of is all.

Unless a boat has been TOTALLY redone by a reputable yard (mechanicals, wiring, paint), at 35 years old, I cant say that I would be interested in becoming its maintenance man.

That said, I have owned a few oldies and buying one is always a balance between cost and quality. Only that I can see from the pics on this boat is the sort of spotty looking brightwork on the cabin door and some rough looking white painting around the engine on the deck supports- a total nitpick and could be on a 4 year old boat. Nice boat though- I think I wrote the "old" comment as a knee jerk reaction to the price although I am sure owner is into it for more than that though.

Boat Doc

Lieutenant
Boat Make
35' Bruno Stillman
Most everything has been replaced. New wiring, Raymarine E120 with autopilot, bow thruster, windlass, water system, steering system, wheelhouse, heat/a-c, re-bedded all through-hulls etc., new SS handrails, dripless stuffing box, and just about everything else...

New CAT 3126 in 2003 (can't remember?) now with 1,000 hrs...

Bottom stripped and Interprotect system done 2 years ago...

Hull is solid glass. Couple soft spots in deck near hand-rails fixed 3 years ago...

Was re-painted in 2007 with awlgrip but there are definitely a few dings and scrapes...I call it "workboat chic"...

Old boats always needs some work but for a handy guy, the only thing real old structure that could not be replaced is the hull...

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Seems really nice, well found, and well kept. Newer power a big plus. If no motor box a huge plus also. Running gear and keel fairing look real nice too. I love the Brunos anyway and the solid glass ones are hard to find. Great sea boat for 35' (maybe the best). Wet and rollie yes but no pounding and easily driven if kept light.

Seems like a good price if survey and engine prove out.

Just my opinion.

NausetBruno

Ensign
im pretty sure anything 76 and later is solid glass for the 35 model. This particular boat, which was one of the bigger production years is a very reliable hull

Top Bottom