35 Duffy

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Price well a little light on power but ggod power. If the second station is a complete and in the wheel house this could be a nice buy.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
That definatly has been for sale at multiple prices. The listing agent is kinda.. different from talking to him on the phone. The boat has a drive shaft set up instead of a prop shaft. I used to have a folder of pics. alot of stuff is a tad odd on her. Like someone crossed over from the trawler market and had a duffy built

mcangelo41

Commander
That definatly has been for sale at multiple prices. The listing agent is kinda.. different from talking to him on the phone. The boat has a drive shaft set up instead of a prop shaft. I used to have a folder of pics. alot of stuff is a tad odd on her. Like someone crossed over from the trawler market and had a duffy built

Can you explain this further for the noob?

Tunahead

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.captbillsmith.com
Boat Make
Have 5! Make that 6 ....
That boats been for sale for a while

She needs work

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
She is under agreement. It was bought to flip and is under agreement again as of yesterday.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
That guy on Tht is a snake, I would not be suprised if she shows up available again.

Tintdr

Lieutenant
Anyone know the deal with the evolution drive?

The Evolution Drive system is a 20 to 35K system depending on your vessel that eliminates vibration and noise.

Most people look at it and do not know what there looking at because there not familiar with it they think its bad or a car type system. Not knowing that it is one of the best and well designed and engineered drive train systems ever invented. Thus the price tag.. Most people around here on the south shore of long island would not invest the money into this system because they either dont have that kind of bread for a drive train or the would rather spend it somewhere else..

Here is a link explaining the system and how it works

No water.. No dripping box,s etc

The Evolution Company Inc. - Product Specification

I own this 35 Duffy with the evolution drive. I originally found it on craigslist for a friend who was looking for a new downeast. He went to go look at it with another friend of mine..

Make a long story short the one friend who was in the market passed and purchased a 30ft sisu and the other told me what a deal it was at the asking price of 48K

Well it sparked my interest and I went for a look. So I made a very lower offer and they took it...

Listed it for sale because I am not in the market for this type of a vessel geared towards cruising...

Got an offer and due to time constraints and the vessel being blocked in by sail boats for the next 3 weeks, the deal fell threw..

Well after spending time on the boat and going over everything before I splash her, I am starting to like the boat more and more..

So on that note I am thinking of keeping the boat, because of my low investment and making a project out of her..

Not sure if i want to take the bridge off and cut the house back 4 feet..

Or just leaving it as is and adding a lower station in the house for now.

Im sure without that bridge and all that wood and the stove, tables, chairs, etc... Removing the stbd bunks and putting a galley below will rid some extra weight and make her a little faster

Also that block is rated up to 409 HP so I was thinking of a major tune up.. Has pop injectors and with a reworked turbo and fuel injector pump I may be able to get 350 to 375 HP out of that block with little added expense as oppossed to a re-power...

So,, everything is for sale until I have a 38 Duffy or Holland.....

But I was on YW and seen a similar boat to the one i have and really liked the way she looks..

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

So this boat really has me thinking... Just haven't made up my mind yet...

Last edited:

Bigho

Lieutenant
While the evolution drive system is nice it is no where near 35k closer to 10k. The issue I see with this system is the ball joints, if the boat fills with water and those joints get wet they are going to fail. If that drive shaft fails in the rear joints at speed it's going to rip right through the hull IMO. Also, make sure you keep an eye on the oil level and change it yearly. You will sink the boat if that fails. Good luck with the boat, I hope it work out for you.

Tintdr

Lieutenant
While the evolution drive system is nice it is no where near 35k closer to 10k. The issue I see with this system is the ball joints, if the boat fills with water and those joints get wet they are going to fail. If that drive shaft fails in the rear joints at speed it's going to rip right through the hull IMO. Also, make sure you keep an eye on the oil level and change it yearly. You will sink the boat if that fails. Good luck with the boat, I hope it work out for you.

Well I called up Evolution to get more information on the system, and the guy who built this system for this boat is not available into next week due to a death in the family. Guys name is Allen, i asked allot of questions and stated that allot of people did not buy the boat because of this sytem because they are not familiar with it and because of that afraid of it. I also expressed your concern about the boat sinking.

He giggled and said that its a totally sealed system and it can,t and is not possible for water to get in the joints because the way the system is designed. He said a boat with a stuffing box will go down in the event of a fail, but not there sytems because of the way there designed.

He said anything in life is possable. But chances are slim to none. I also asked about the pricing and expressed that I had heard and was mentioned to me that this was a 20K upgrade system. How much do they run or typically seel for?? And he stated that sounds about right..And every vessel is custom made and pricing varies.

So i attatched a link above. If you want to know more about it. Give them a call...

I have to call back in a week and speak with Allen because every system is built diffferently for each vessel. And the fella that I was on the phone with, I did not catch his name said Allen keeps a record of all systems built so I would have to order a service booklet for my exact vessel..

So on that note... I am not worried about this boat sinking do to this system, Its like any other boat. If you service it properly and take care of it like you would on any other system or vessel it should be..... A OK......

Any boat can go down because there are so many variables and ways this can happen..

So am i worried about the transmission? Not in the least... Im excited to see how smooth it is..

Thanks for the Luck... I am sure whatever I decide to do. I will make out.. A.... OK ....

offshore31

Captain
Saw that boat in Mystic Ct years ago. Wasn't for sale, I was just wandering through a marina and saw it. Looked very nice back then, same layout, definitely a cruiser. I've been watching it recently as it's been for sale, and even considered it until I found something else. I was thinking the same as you, cut the house back and take the bridge off. Or even leave the bridge on, but get rid of the hard top and lighten upstairs. Sometimes when trolling it's nice to be upstairs. You can do a lot with that boat. Good luck with it.

Top Bottom