35' Henriques Maine Coaster Repower

Tom Stewart

Lieutenant
Boat Make
35' Henriques Maine Coaster
I would like to get a little more speed out of this vessel.
Current configuration is:
Volvo TAMD 63L - 318HP
Twin Disc 1.5:1 gear
1.5" shaft
21x18 4 blade prop
2300rpm gets me 13.5 - 14 knots loaded depending upon conditions/current, etc.

I would like to put in a reman Cummins 450C.
Questions are:

1. I can probably get a 23" diameter prop maximum....Any suggestions...I will go over to BoatDiesel, but I'd rather chat with someone who has done this conversion or something similar on this hull.
  2. Do you think this will get me 17-18 knots cruise?
  3. This vessel has a bronze tailpiece that the cutlass bearing is located and the rudder sits on so to speak. I'll have to wallow that out to be able to get a 2" shaft in it....I've got a call in to Henriques, but any comments on this from past experience would be appreciated.
  4. Any suggestions on gear?
I'll have a motor for sale in EXCELLENT condition with the gear shortly...2975 hours and looks like new..

Thanks for your input.

ts

tailpiece photo.jpg

cb34

Rear Admiral
Just drill a hole in the rudder for shaft removal and install

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
So that bronze tail piece that houses the cutlass bearing also incorporates the rudder support "shoe"? That's a unique set up. If for some reason there isn't adequate material to bore it for a 2" cutlass bearing, you can get away with a 1 3/4" shaft instead of the 2" shaft, and therefor a smaller OD cutlass bearing, which might help you in that department. I'm re-powering a 35 Bruno with a QSB 480 HP motor and 1.77:1 ZF 280A-1 gear. I'm limited to a 1 3/4" shaft because of the fiberglass tube diameter/cutlass bearing combination. The fiberglass tube has to fit inside the contour of the keel. The 1 3/4" shaft has a 4:1 SF for this combination .Max prop diameter I can spin is 23" as well, but that's after modifying the keel and dropping the shaft. It will cruise at 17- 18 knots, so you should be in the ball park with the 450 C. Your boat is a different animal but should be similar enough for a basic comparison.

Tom Stewart

Lieutenant
Boat Make
So that bronze tail piece that houses the cutlass bearing also incorporates the rudder support "shoe"? That's a unique set up. If for some reason there isn't adequate material to bore it for a 2" cutlass bearing, you can get away with a 1 3/4" shaft instead of the 2" shaft, and therefor a smaller OD cutlass bearing, which might help you in that department. I'm re-powering a 35 Bruno with a QSB 480 HP motor and 1.77:1 ZF 280A-1 gear. I'm limited to a 1 3/4" shaft because of the fiberglass tube diameter/cutlass bearing combination. The fiberglass tube has to fit inside the contour of the keel. The 1 3/4" shaft has a 4:1 SF for this combination .Max prop diameter I can spin is 23" as well, but that's after modifying the keel and dropping the shaft. It will cruise at 17- 18 knots, so you should be in the ball park with the 450 C. Your boat is a different animal but should be similar enough for a basic comparison.
Thank you very much for the info...exactly what I was looking for with regards to gear, etc.

What size prop did you end up with?

Thanks
ts

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Tom - I have not run my boat yet. However a friend did the same repower to his boat and has a 22 x 20 four blade which cruises nicely at 17-18 knots.

That Maine Coaster above in the video is obviously converted from twin engines to a single. Not so sure I would cut my rudder the way he did. It leaves me wondering about the steering response at slow speeds. Unfortunately he doesn't show that or comment about it in the video. But he did get it to run faster.

Last edited:

Tom Stewart

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Tom - I have not run my boat yet. However a friend did the same repower to his boat and has a 22 x 20 four blade which cruises nicely at 17-18 knots.

That Maine Coaster above in the video is obviously converted from twin engines to a single. Not so sure I would cut my rudder the way he did. It leaves me wondering about the steering response at slow speeds. Unfortunately he doesn't show that or comment about it in the video. But he did get it to run faster.
Thanks for the info....agreed; not going to chop up my rudder...hell I need all of it.

c1steve

Captain
A friend of mine has one. 1999 model, a very nice boat. He has the Cat 3126 in 420 hp. 1.75" shaft, 24" prop.

He usually runs at 1,900 rpm and 14 knots of lightly loaded. When new on sea trial the boat went 27 knots, which is very impressive. There is a huge gap between the rudder and the keel, which I believe is part of the following sea problem. In big seas he has to slow down to 8 knots or it will broach. By big, I mean 12'-15' swells or sometimes 8' very steep swells/waves.

Henriques build the boat with three different keels over time, to help the following sea problems. Personally I would remove the metal stern tube and glass in a fiberglass one. Also cut away the sides of the keel, at the aperature, to mimic a Wesmac. This should give you an extra 0.5-1.0 knots.

Ricky boat below waterline 017 - Copy - Copy.JPG

Wesmac keel - Copy (2).JPG

shaft angle.jpg

Top Bottom