36 runaway

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
The hours are real on this one. I know it well it is lightly used. There is a ton of money invested in this boat. New top, new gen new ez2cy. The list goes on. Needs cosmetics only

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
Thats pretty sweet....how is a 4 outrigger spread fished??

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Only four riggers? Tred Barta used to have seven riggers back in the day.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Great boat & well cared for. If you want a Runaway this one is a very good choice.

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
That boats been for sale for YEARS, always asking way too much for it. It is a beautiful boat. Friend of mine that knows Runaways really well knows the history of the boat, claimed the boat was "never right", something about being one of the last ones built and problems with it. Not sure how true it is, or if there were problems and they worked the kinks out, but I'd give it one hell of a sea trial on a nasty day just to be sure.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Nothing "wrong" with the boat. I love random internet comments like that. And actually the story goes, that this boat was built for the owner of the company, Marvin Gunterschmidt?
Somthing like that. Same hull as every other Runaway, popped out of the same mold as every other Runaway. Same as all the Harris's previous to Runaway. The owner is a great guy, who invested a LOT of money into the boat and thought he could get a better return on his investment. The bow thruster, generator were installed in the last 2 seasons. The custom, Davison Fabrication top is new, as is the EZ2Cy enclosure. The original hynautic hydraulic shift/throttle assembly's were removed and replaced with new Kobelts 2 seasons ago (2 stations, one at the helm and one in the cockpit). The owner wasn't happy with the cooling systems on the Volvo's, so he had Tommy Wyman (a masterful mechanic RIP) develop and install a completely new cooling system on both engines. This boat needs cosmetics, the teak decks are showing their age, some paint on the engines etc. Oh, did I mention the new Stidd helm chair? Trust me, the list is endless. This is a great boat, that can be had at an entry level price. How do I know it so well? I did a lot of the work on her.

The Runaways that had problems were overpowered, like the Wildcatter. It had twin 3208 435's. The Hull cannot handle speed above 24 knots unless its flat ass calm. They are 18-20knot boats. And Damn good sea boats at that.

Last edited:

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Nothing "wrong" with the boat. I love random internet comments like that. And actually the stroy goes, that this boat was built for the owner of the company, Marvin Gunterschmidt?
Somthing like that. Same hull as every other Runaway, popped out of the same mold as every other Runaway. Same as all the Harris's previous to Runaway. The owner is a great guy, who invested a LOT of money into the boat and thought he could get a better return on his investment. The bow thruster, generator were installed in the last 2 seasons. The custom, Davison Fabrication top is new, as is the EZ2Cy enclosure. The original hynautic hydraulic shift/throttle assembly's were removed and replaced with new Kobelts 2 seasons ago (2 stations, one at the helm and one in the cockpit). The owner wasn't happy with the cooling systems on the Volvo's, so he had Tommy Wyman (a masterful mechanic RIP) develop and install a completely new cooling system on both engines. This boat needs cosmetics, the teak decks are showing their age, some paint on the engines etc. Oh, did I mention the new Stidd helm chair? Trust me, the list is endless. This is a great boat, that can be had at an entry level price. How do I know it so well? I did a lot of the work on her.

The Runaways that had problems were overpowered, like the Wildcatter. It had twin 3208 435's. The Hull cannot handle speed above 24 knots unless its flat ass calm. They are 18-20knot boats. And Damn good sea boats at that.

Marvin Gutschmidt was a friend of mine, great guy who had a large hatteras sold it and ordered a Runaway, company had money problems just after Marvin ordered the boat so what does Marvin do ?? he buys the company to get his boat :D, if i remember correctly the boats were built in pt pleasant just past the route 35 bridge, a guy named bob pasano(charter boat ol'salty in Belmar) ran the shop for awhile for Marvin. Marvin was a very wealthy man owned textile mills, funny thing was you'd never know it except for the silver cloud rolls or the giant sized benz he'd drive to the coffee shack:-D in the morning. Nice guy and i always enjoyed eating breakfast with him. He had a summer house in Spring Lake and lived up on the hudson river by NYC the rest of the year.

Last edited:

tuna_fan

Captain
First Name
Eric
^ Bob Pisano is a tuna legend. Tied up the Wildcatter next to me in late 90's while fishing out of Gloucester. Loved the Wildcatter, and this one looks even better. He used to say to me "turn the music down or I will put an ice pick in those speakers!".. or "sure your boat does 18knts.... OFF A CLIFF maybe!"
Looks like it has everything needed for giants...just not in love with the 2 engine setup on any boat....but that thing is very cool.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
The lines on this beauty almost look a lil similar to a 38' henriques el bravo. Very pretty boat!

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
^ Bob Pisano is a tuna legend. Tied up the Wildcatter next to me in late 90's while fishing out of Gloucester. Loved the Wildcatter, and this one looks even better. He used to say to me "turn the music down or I will put an ice pick in those speakers!".. or "sure your boat does 18knts.... OFF A CLIFF maybe!"
Looks like it has everything needed for giants...just not in love with the 2 engine setup on any boat....but that thing is very cool.

That Jersey City accent of his was a killer !! Only guy i ever saw wearing rubber black soles dress shoes on the boat. I was looking for fish when i was gillnetting bob calls me on the radio and says "Stevie there's a whole heard of'em over here come get'um" I always saved him fresh bunkers and butterfish for hook baits he called them ice cream cones. I know one of my baits got him a thousand pounder.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Ralph's Last Lady is another Runaway too right? He's part of the good ole days Belmar crew.

I believe so and i think the Sea Witch that Mike Vergas had was one also, Mike took that boat to Puerto Rico when he moved back there.

31jcptown

Commander
Boat Make
91 31 JC P-Town
Knockdown

I know this boat well have fished on this boat offten for the $$$ you will not find a better setup twin engine boat on the market. try and find one to compare at this price. Turn key canyon ready.....................

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar

clementine

Lieutenant
Boat Make
18' Levy
This is one of the boats that Larry posted pictures of- the entire topside was redone several (10 maybe) years ago and has some nice custom features, including a built in fish box in the cockpit. IMO a much better buy than the Knockdown.

I have fished on this boat a number of times, it's a sweet ride. Large cockpit fishbox and the visibility from the bridge is amazing, not to mention the (almost) standup engine room- an amazing thing. Always enjoyed fishing on that boat.

31jcptown

Commander
Boat Make
91 31 JC P-Town
I have fished on this boat a number of times, it's a sweet ride. Large cockpit fishbox and the visibility from the bridge is amazing, not to mention the (almost) standup engine room- an amazing thing. Always enjoyed fishing on that boat.

This is one of the boats that Larry posted pictures of- the entire topside was redone several (10 maybe) years ago and has some nice custom features, including a built in fish box in the cockpit. IMO a much better buy than the Knockdown.

Please feel free to tell me why you might think ths is a better buy than the knockdown.....

Top Bottom