36 runaway

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Darrenburg has been trying to sell that boat forever. Anyone know the actual story on her?

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Original Volvo power probably 60 or 61's. In my opinion - looking at big money to repower, and on that model I think you have to do some cutting to get the repower done. This is the dilemma with boats in this age class, it is just too much money to repower them. Never get the value out of it. Looks like a pristine rig too. They really are very nice in and out. Most selling recently are going right at or below this price. I feel they have a very localized following too. Mostly people from NY-NJ have even heard of the Runaway name.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
They only built 27 of them. I have fished on four different ones. A great canyon vessel. Two of them were repowered with Cummins, one with 330 & the other with 370 HP These boat really ran well & cruised at 25 knots. The other two had original power with 250 Volvos. Great motors & completely rebuild able in the vessel, if you can afford the parts. The one for sale has a removable engine hatch to no cutting is needed. It also has the side helm, which makes the removal much easier. I do know the boat is Freeport on the hard and the owner is looking to sell.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Larry the other one with volvo's (forget the old name) will be for sale soon also. I believe you have some pics of her?

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Anyone heard of a runaway called Sea Witch ? Friend owned it charted out of Belmar NJ for many years then moved his business to Puerto Rico. Another friend also ones one out of brielle or pt pleasant and that one is powered by cummins don't know the name of the boat as its been many years since i saw the guy. Weren't most of the runaways built in pt pleasant ??

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar
Larry the other one with volvo's (forget the old name) will be for sale soon also. I believe you have some pics of her?

I think you're referring to the old Aphis. Larry definitely has some pics of her, I did too but not on this computer.

Ditchdigger

Captain
36' Runaway

Fished on one many times. It used to be the Brian's Song out of Brielle. Now I believe it is the Hello Dolly out of Point Pleasant N.J. Boat still looks Great, and is well maintained. It originally had the Volvos in her. Not sure if the original motors are in her. Great boat, and exceptional layout. Caught a lot of fish. These are Great boats. Very local to N.J. & N.Y. .

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
Nice looking boats! Wish I could afford to run one..

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
I've fished on the Aphis and another with 370B's. Lets not get carried away here, there good boats, but great.....no. With the 370's, if you run them around 26 knots or higher, they start to keel walk. A little slower than that, in a good following sea, same thing. They have a lot of great features, not the least of which is the best engine room you will ever find on a boat this size. Visabilty from the helm is great as well. The cockpit is long but VERY narrow at the stern, two to three guys across is a crowd, and she doesn't carry weight well all the way back. It is built like a tank, if you punch a hole in her you hit something solid. Cabin layout is pretty much an after thought. It's not a big 36 footer, I put my 37 next to her and she looks small. It's a good boat with power in the 315 HP range, she should give you good speed and fuel burn without keel walking. But like every boat ever built, it has it's shortcomings.

clementine

Lieutenant
Boat Make
18' Levy
I've fished on the Aphis and another with 370B's. Lets not get carried away here, there good boats, but great.....no. With the 370's, if you run them around 26 knots or higher, they start to keel walk. A little slower than that, in a good following sea, same thing. They have a lot of great features, not the least of which is the best engine room you will ever find on a boat this size. Visabilty from the helm is great as well. The cockpit is long but VERY narrow at the stern, two to three guys across is a crowd, and she doesn't carry weight well all the way back. It is built like a tank, if you punch a hole in her you hit something solid. Cabin layout is pretty much an after thought. It's not a big 36 footer, I put my 37 next to her and she looks small. It's a good boat with power in the 315 HP range, she should give you good speed and fuel burn without keel walking. But like every boat ever built, it has it's shortcomings.

Having fished on the Aphis, I agree with you completely. Absolute tank in a head sea, liked to walk in a following sea. Amazing engine room. Liked the built in above deck fishbox in the cockpit. I also felt the boat was a little top heavy, rolled a lot on the drift. Sweet boat overall, just wish it had a single engine.

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
I would tend to agree with you on the single screw, it would probably run well with one engine. I believe the boat was designed specifically for the Giant Tuna fishing we had off of NY/NJ many years ago. Boats were anchored 100 feet apart or less, the Wicked Tuna guys have no idea just how good they have it today. With a single you just wouldn't have the ability to maneuver going astern in heavy traffic (it was awful, screaming, shouting, plenty of broken off fish on anchor lines not to mention cut off anchor lines as well). The narrow stern made it easy to fight a fish from the chair without hitting the covering boards, the rod tip easily cleared the sides of the boat. The helm location made it easy to maneuver the boat while being able to keep an eye on the boats around you. Lack of speed and sea keeping ability wasn't really a problem, you weren't going very far. Who needed a fancy cabin, this was a day boat, no one was overnighting. To me it was one of the best designed Giant Tuna boats ever built. Today there being used for fishing they weren't designed for. A couple of guys at the transom working fish on standup gear is completely different than a wireman and a guy with a harpoon standing in the corners waiting for there turn. By the way, I loved that kind of fishing, the fish were big, and you had to work really hard to get one!

jsakovits

Captain
Boat Make
36' Calvin Beal
Tuna Hunter

I had the good fortune of being on the same dock as Gary and Bob Pisano on the Tuna Hunter. I was not ever able to figure out if Bob liked wearing the high healed plateform shoes because he liked them or to compensate for the running angle of the runaway. ; )

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I had the good fortune of being on the same dock as Gary and Bob Pisano on the Tuna Hunter. I was not ever able to figure out if Bob liked wearing the high healed plateform shoes because he liked them or to compensate for the running angle of the runaway. ; )

Bob always wore those black soled deck marking disco shoes :D always had them on when he fished the Ol'Salty out of Belmar. Funny guy and always was good sharing fish info with me as long as i saved him some "ice cream cones" butters and fresh bunkers(pogies) for hook baits. Bob had a lot to do with the building of those boats in Pt Pleasant once Marvin Gutshmidt bought the company. Wonder where Bob is now ???

jsakovits

Captain
Boat Make
36' Calvin Beal
Steveinak - funny think we may have traveled in similar circles. I mated on the Sea Witch for a few years. I can remember when Bob stepped of the boat the other captains/mates would circle around him to hear the stories. Very knowledgeable man.

Top Bottom