37 Duffy on Maine Commercial Swap / Sell

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
The Big Mack presents a bit of a dilemma. Very few were ever marinized so the marine parts are like hens teeth. Most of them also smoked very badly- major soot.

Fattuna

Lieutenant
Ahhh... Gotcha. Hiring a sleuth for engine parts would not be too much fun. Too many tuna to not catch, and too little time for me to be doing that!

Motivation

Ensign
The engine is off in this pic the smoke is from the wood stoves in all the shops . She's not as clean as a new electronic engine is but that being said I've seen a lot worse . Manifolds can be made and so can the after cooler I have a spare fuel pump the thing is a beast and not beat on since the rebuild I last saw a 42 Duffy for sale with a e9 in it with almost 20000 hours I think she'll hold up a while . You can't get 900 + hp today for less than 100k

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Sounds like a good deal if you've got some spare parts already. Not trying to screw you up, just figured most people might not know what they were getting into w/ that engine. A friend of mine ran into problems w/ the exhaust manifold on his 6 cylinder Mack and had he kept it, he was going to have to get a manifold made. You are right about value for horsepower and it's mechanical too! I'm sure the basic engine parts are not a problem. Good luck. Pretty boat!

Motivation

Ensign
The manifolds all have to do with exhaust temp too hot and they won't take it . You have to let the engine turn up that effects the smoke to . It is a good engine but I won't lie cat Cummings or Volvo is easier the rebuild was around 45k out of the water and back in again .

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
A company in FL has all of Daytona's tooling and old stock. When I get to my pc I will add a link.

Id rather have a Mack than a Cat any day.
Drove a 79 R model with a mechanical 237 for a solid month. burning a gallon of oil a day. Massive blow by running on 5 slugs. 6 day a week running five 20 ton loads a day!

Then it got an in frame and went back to work.

Last edited:

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
The big v8 marine Macks are a genuine rarity compared to the 6's, many of which are still going strong. The v8's around here smoked like freight trains and not b/c they were over-propped. They came from AMD.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Even the v8 macks in trucks were time bombs. No warning. The inline 6s are stout.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
I think this boat is priced to sell. No doubt the Mack will scare a few off, but it looks like a nice rig for the money. Good Luck Motivation!

riskybusiness

Commander
Boat Make
35 five islands
a buddy of mine has an e-7 mack the things are friggen bomb proof....you cant kill them. most of the parts you can still track down u just have to figure out where they ordered them from. the only challenge is usually the injector lines but connell diesel in Portland maine can make up whatever you need for spare lines if you bring him a set to make them off of. he's bringing his e-7 lines up in march when the boats hauled out for a month to have a new set made....there are about 9 million of the engines out there in dump trucks so all the internal components are easy and cheap to get. awesome engines all around...and as long as you keep your eyes peeled for engines coming out u can put together a pretty good spare parts pile....that's what most ppl do for them.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
She's legal

OK, This sounds really confusing. A new engine was rebuilt after only 4 years at a cost of 45K. A 900 hp shouldn't have been laboring pushing a 38 footer. What the heck happened to a 2006 engine that made it require a rebuild? How many hours were on it? How many years/hrs do you suspect a rebuilt engine will last if a brand new engine only lasted 4 years?

Duke

Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
Dyer 29
Top Bottom