37 ft Duffy ready to be finished

Cape Island Boats

Lieutenant
Website
live.com
This is molded with the Cruiser top can be easily modified. If you visit our website Capeislandboats.com the Hooked On also has the cruiser top. The Sandy B and the Lucky Lady II have the modified work boat top

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
What's a good power choice to get a solid 23-24kt cruise out of that hull?

Depending on how you plan on finishing the boat will make a big difference but finished as a tuna boat with no flybridge you will need 650+HP if you keep it light.

Last edited:

Cape Island Boats

Lieutenant
Website
live.com
We suggest a Cummins QSM11 rated for 715 HP would achieve the speed you are looking. We have also put a C12 Caterpillar and that would also get the speed you are looking for just a much heavier and pricier engine.

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
We suggest a Cummins QSM11 rated for 715 HP would achieve the speed you are looking. We have also put a C12 Caterpillar and that would also get the speed you are looking for just a much heavier and pricier engine.

The dry weight of the two engines is almost identical, in fact I think the C12 is a few lbs less than the QSM. At least, if you believe the literature each company publishes. I don't doubt the pricing diff.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
I meant finished weight of the vessels
I don't know why more finishers don't weigh their work

Well we know why, it costs more money and I am sure that most have a good idea, but I agree that more accurate numbers could help fine tune the building process.

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
"Hooked On" looks fairly plush and heavy to me, the stern is sitting a little low in the picture. I would think a more basic 37' Duffy (lighter) could cruise at 20-21 knots with a 500 hp 8.3 Cummins.

It seems to me that the Duffy would be a pretty efficient hull, I like the chine design, bow design, and from what I've heard, it delivers a soft, comfortable ride in the chop.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Usually when we weigh a boat it is for the massive sum of $0.00
The most we've ever spent is $5.00 to weigh a vessel on the trailer, then the empty trailer is weighed for no fee.
Not exactly a deal breaker as far as price goes

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
First Team- In your opinion, what would the approximate weight RANGE of say a 38' Northern Bay basic lobster boat with one of your Sisu engines? Not a race boat, but your average 38' lobster work boat. No fuel, no personal gear. 16,000 lbs - 17,000 lbs??

Last edited:

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Usually when we weigh a boat it is for the massive sum of $0.00
The most we've ever spent is $5.00 to weigh a vessel on the trailer, then the empty trailer is weighed for no fee.
Not exactly a deal breaker as far as price goes

You are lucky to be able to do that, for me to put a boat on a trailer have it towed to a scale and then towed to wherever is going to cost at least $400. You have no excuse not to weigh your boats for the owners.

Top Bottom