37 MDI project

Chiefleif

Lieutenant Commander
Figured Id start a thread. So a few weeks back I purchased a 1996 37’ mdi in need of new power. Gave the deposit then drove to the cape and purchased a higher hour 2006 qsm11 670hp.
Been having a tough time getting the boat down here to Long Island from Salem. Between the weather/permits/ and intermittent ferry schedule it’s been a head ache. Have Dave from liberty bringing it down and he has been great trying to work it out for me. Fingers crossed the freight ferry runs this coming Tuesday.
In the mean time I have been ripping the qsm down to clean/paint. Removed after coolers to have them done. Pulling hoses and replacing.
excited to get the boat down here to get to work. I’ll keep this thread going as I progress. 586A03F0-7FFF-4111-AD04-9872F9FE8F63.jpeg
629CC24A-13D4-46BE-B9E0-91D525387B93.jpeg 618B5715-A745-4562-A90A-024C31E97E25.jpeg

xbskt

Vice Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
28 Crowley Beal
Figured Id start a thread. So a few weeks back I purchased a 1996 37’ mdi in need of new power. Gave the deposit then drove to the cape and purchased a higher hour 2006 qsm11 670hp.
Been having a tough time getting the boat down here to Long Island from Salem. Between the weather/permits/ and intermittent ferry schedule it’s been a head ache. Have Dave from liberty bringing it down and he has been great trying to work it out for me. Fingers crossed the freight ferry runs this coming Tuesday.
In the mean time I have been ripping the qsm down to clean/paint. Removed after coolers to have them done. Pulling hoses and replacing.
excited to get the boat down here to get to work. I’ll keep this thread going as I progress. View attachment 102551
View attachment 102552 View attachment 102553
What is the rest of your running gear going to be?

Chiefleif

Lieutenant Commander
The old scania had Zf 311A,
Cummins came with a zf3251a 1.73

Brainey

Captain
First Name
Bill
Boat Make
43' Atkinson
Best of luck with the project, always liked that hull.

Soundownsam

Lieutenant
First Name
Sam
Looks like a great project. What are you setting her up to fish?

sam

Chiefleif

Lieutenant Commander
Looks like a great project. What are you setting her up to fish?

sam
Yup pure fishing machine.
Dave just let me know that we are good to go for the freight ferry tomorrow, boat is loaded up and on its way down!!! So pumped to get to work! Dave has been great, glad the weather is finally cooperating.

Chiefleif

Lieutenant Commander
I can’t say enough good things about Dave from Liberty Boat Transport. We had a tough time with the weather but Dave always communicated with me and kept me up to date. Boat arrived today, on time and in great shape. Dave is an amazing driver and was able to squeeze thru my tight boat yard and get the boat right where it needed to be. If anyone is looking for a boat mover make dave your first call, best price and a real stand up guy. Also he’s a forum member! Thank you Dave!

Frankenconn

Ensign
excited to get the boat down here to get to work. I’ll keep this thread going as I progress. View attachment 102551
View attachment 102552 View attachment 102553
Good luck with the repower, I spent a lot of time in the canyons with that boat. Pulled many fish over the transom out there and always made it back to the Point through some real nasty snot sometimes, a real tank in a head sea and not too bad in a big following one either. I put that 700 horse Scania and ZF gear in there about 20 years back. I think I swapped out the original shaft for a 2.75 for the bigger motor. It had a cat 3126 in it that barely made 15 knots down hill. Sold it in 03 and moved up to a Duffy 42, any idea how many hours on the Scania, always wondered about that. Again, good luck, nothin beats messing about in boats

Chiefleif

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for the well wishes @Frankenconn , small boat world, unsure of the hours on the scania, it’s ripped down to the block. Might have a few questions for you down the line since you are familiar with the boat! Have a long list to get her back to fighting shape, but in all honesty there is no where I’d rather be than down there working on her!

Frankenconn

Ensign
Thanks for the well wishes @Frankenconn , small boat world, unsure of the hours on the scania, it’s ripped down to the block. Might have a few questions for you down the line since you are familiar with the boat! Have a long list to get her back to fighting shape, but in all honesty there is no where I’d rather be than down there working on her!
Be glad to help with any questions you may have, I'll vac out the cobwebs in my file cabinet for ya, 20 years ago ain't but a flash

Frankenconn

Ensign
nice beam lift!
I hauled the original Cat 3126 w/Twin Disc gear out of that bilge and shipped it to a guy down in Delacroix, La. south of New Orleans for his shrimp boat. He picked it up at the airport drove home put a battery and water to it in the back of his dually started right up called me, damn he said, sounds good, he was a character. I replaced the w/h deck beams in the 37' back then, I see they still hold some weight, good luck.

Top Bottom