38 Calvin in California “Steady”

RobBaker

1st Mate
Boat Make
Eastern Sisu 22
That’s going to be tuff to beat, perfection.

joe4852

1st Mate
Great looking ride.
Did I miss the build thread? or what's the history? how did that hull end up on west coast?

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
What is the beam on this beauty? Looks much wider than 12' or 13'. Camera lens/angle? Smoke and mirrors? ;) Very nice!

Dave911

Deckhand
First Name
David
I’d name her “dreamboat”. Stunning. Well done. I trailer from Dana Point in my Limestone 24 express. What harbor is Steady in? Love to get a closer look some time. That huge transom door reminds of the Pearson true North but less wasted space.
Really curious about the wood flooring in cockpit. I don’t really enjoy the Fiberglas underfoot but more wood to care for is not ideal either. Oh. Or is that seadeck or the like?? Thoughts? Thx

WA1KPD

Deckhand
First Name
Carl
Is this the one that was at Gamage earlier this year? If so she is a spectacular-looking boat. I love the open transom for hauling in the dink etc.
We spoke a few times on the dock.
Did you truck her, or cruise her home?

TedFJ40

1st Mate
Boat Make
Mitchell Cove 35 / Compaq Eclipse / Boston Whaler 13'6"
Absolutely Beautiful! That looks nearly identical to the layout I had on my boat when I bought it so I'm pretty sure same builder/same owner?? It was a Bruce Farrins build for a Calif family (formerly 'Pal' ). I heard that family wanted another similar build, just larger (Steady, was that you?)

My boat 'Halcyon' is a Mitchel Cove 35 and the features and thought that went into that MC35 build are incredible, although I see things upgraded on Steady that look amazing. I filled in the transom and added a tuna door, scaled back the roof, took off the swim platform, and made a few other changes but things like the swing up windows, solar panels, surf racks all stayed. Interior is the same except for a change in the upholstery that my wife wanted (see my son driving pic).

Halcyon trip east.JPG

Kev driving.JPG

Halcyon NPT.jpg

1oldbuzzard

1st Mate
I like the fact that one photo captures a tape measure. I find it one of The most commonly used items on a vessel…constantly figuring what will fit ( and work ) where..
mine never goes too far out of reach.
Kudos to Farrin’s and YOU !

Last edited:

Steady

Deckhand
Boat Make
Calvin Beal 38
Okie Dokie - Thanks for the kind words - very appreciated.

The CB38 hull is 38’10” x 15 beam. Laid up by Stuart Workman at SW Boatworks in Lamoine ME

I designed the interior lay-out myself. She is finished by Farrin’s boat shop in Walpole ME. They are wonderful to work with. We have built four boats with Bruce Farrin and his two son’s — Bruce Jr and Brian. The other three builds were a Wesmac 38, Wayne Beal 36, Mitchell Cove 35 (“Halcyon”shown above in thread).

She has a Cummins QSM11 for power (670HP) and typical cruise with say 2/3rds capacities for fuel and water is 17knots. That’s at 1950revs with 67 load% at 20gph. WOT is 23.

Water is 295 gals and fuel is 2 x 175 gals (350). Holding is 50 gal.

Steady is our first build without a water maker. We love simple. We have no gen set. We favor of solar for our electrical needs. We can sit on our summer mooring for 2 weeks at a time and solar runs frig, freezer, pumps, lights, inverter, coffeemaker, etc. We have upgraded to Lithium-iron batts (not ION) and lithium compatible charging systems for alternator and solar charging. House bank is 600ah. We consume about 200ah per day in “sit on mooring mode”. Farrin’s electrician Troy did wonderful work with solar install.

Your question about the floors — they are well cared for teak veneer over ply that are looking good after 9 seasons.

Home port is Ventura CA. How did she get to California? On her own bottom she went from ME, to NYC, up Hudson River, to Lake Champlain, to Quebec, to Montreal, down St. Lawrence seaway, then did half Great Loop (Trent Severn), and west on Great Lakes. We went thru over 70 locks. Then by truck from Mid West to CA.

Anyway, we are super lucky to have Steady — and double-lucky to meet the Farrin’s who embraced our somewhat unusual design ideas such as the kids’ mid-cabin, the dog cabin, the cabana winterback, and the doorway to the the engine room. Initially other finishers were not as open to our design, but Bruce and his team were awesome and very patient with me. We have referred Farrin’s to others — since we met them, nine of their builds have gone Out West (our 36 Wayne is named “Out West” and she is now berthed in Los Angeles/MDR).

A few pix of Trent Severn locks and solar geek stuff are attached.

Glen

49C59F5F-620D-4074-B52E-1837D8D3D90C.jpeg

37567DDF-713C-4B6E-B434-36C666A4FF91.jpeg

736D10F4-F459-4839-A1D6-96DA4B588D22.jpeg

53FBB518-830C-4145-B29D-C58329A0B46D.jpeg

Steady

Deckhand
Boat Make
Calvin Beal 38
Locks are in Canada on Trent-Severn Waterway (Great Loop). Kirkland Lift Lock is the one with boat in it, and the one on approach is Peterborough Lift Lock which was first built in 1904 and lifts you 65 feet.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
"We love simple."

We can see that! ;) Unlike a 5-gallon bucket in the head, your version of "simple" is much more appealing! Very nice!

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
"We love simple."

We can see that! ;) Unlike a 5-gallon bucket in the head, your version of "simple" is much more appealing! Very nice!
I smell a tangent coming.....

I've been thinking about those Vetus Dorade vents, they are nice looking. Just have to swallow the cost :)

Top Bottom