38 DE Hulls: 38 Wesmac vs. 38 Flowers??

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
I apologize Wiretime that WLL for the Flowers was for the 36 so you need to add two feet for the 38 it should be 35.6 Sorry about the mix up.

Wiretime

Lieutenant
I apologize Wiretime that WLL for the Flowers was for the 36 so you need to add two feet for the 38 it should be 35.6 Sorry about the mix up.
Thanks-updated that - got the message here just as I was looking and it didn't quite make sense.
Added a scatter plot of all the data too- makes it pretty clear that the next Calvin Beal will be a Downeast aircraft carrier...

1614227972631.png

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

lobstercraven

Commander
I have my opinions on how the 38 Lowell could be more popular in the market, but I don’t own the molds, so I’ll stay quiet. I will say, under the waterline, there isn’t a better 38’ downeast design in my opinion.
Do you have any pics of the 38 Lowell that you owned ?

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Wiretime

Lieutenant
I have wanted to do something similar to your spreadsheet for years. My approach was similar to yours but when you clicked on a hull it would show all known spec’s of existing boats of that hull. My plan far exceeded my knowledge of excel.
Since my primary job evaporated with COVID, I have been learning more of the data analysis type stuff.

1614278178576.png

That is the working model off of a few manufacturers performance curves.

1614278404839.png
Here we can test how loud is the Cummins vs the Volvo in the same boat.

The biggest problem with boat data is testing conditions of course - loading, bottom, lifting rail placement, sea state, and how finely tuned everything is on the test boat vs what you would get.

c1steve

Captain
Since my primary job evaporated with COVID, I have been learning more of the data analysis type stuff.

View attachment 103246

That is the working model off of a few manufacturers performance curves.

View attachment 103247
Here we can test how loud is the Cummins vs the Volvo in the same boat.

The biggest problem with boat data is testing conditions of course - loading, bottom, lifting rail placement, sea state, and how finely tuned everything is on the test boat vs what you would get.
Total displacement would make huge changes in your data points. It would have more effect than hull shape, in most cases. If you could track that, it would be beneficial.

Cod767

Ensign
Following from the tradition of Novi/Downeast work boats the lower the CG and deeper the keel the better the ride. If you’re not fishing in 4’ to 6’ and bigger then it doesn’t matter. Soft chine running to the flat bottom of the stern is going to be the easiest on you. Having said all that the Flowers is more like a bathtub aft making her a little more “rollypolly”. And yea - a used boat is about bones/price/potential. Good luck!

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
WOW! I didn’t realize the CB was so much bigger in the 38’ class. My next boat is a 38 so that’s going in the roster
Just keep in mind that those wider boats suffer some performance in comparison to their leaner counter parts.

Top Bottom