38 Northern Bay 2016 50+ MPH... Yes 50+ MPH, Yes 38 Knot Cruise....

milokr23

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Tripp/Marscot 22
What is the handling like at these speeds? Is a cruise of 38 knots realistic and comfortable or is it still going to like to sit at 18-20?

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
What is the handling like at these speeds? Is a cruise of 38 knots realistic and comfortable or is it still going to like to sit at 18-20?
I would like to hear it too. Although I think I know.

extra300

Lieutenant

Boat rides like it is on rails. IMO rides better fast than slow.

I’ve owned 4 boats that have done 100+ mph, and my last boat did 120 mph, so I’m familiar with high speed handling characteristics.

Tomcat32

Lieutenant
What was the final sell price for this, does anyone know? Or even the asking $? The price is no longer listed on the web site as the ad states.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
It sold for asking price which was right around 600.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

leaky

Vice Admiral
I think that is one hell of a boat even for that money and if one could afford it. But i'm just curious how people feel when they see this. "The engine room was designed to accommodate a generator." Would you look at this as an afterthought or other ? Wouldn't that be a must have on any sport boat ? Just curious not bashing.

I think the hardest part of a retrofit would be physically setting a generator and exhaust into an existing high end boat. If they made accommodations for it, whats another 15k atop 600k to add the detail - small potatoes.

This thing was obviously made to be light & go. I bet during the build this came up and the owner decided they didn't want to install a light el cheapo nexgen, the generator they really liked was +400 lbs, but they probably could get by without it doing day trips at 30+ knots.

BSEA

Lieutenant
Maybe they thought about the drag of a through hull for cooling a genset and a through hull for cooling an AC unit if their focus was on speed. I have had a simple 12V setup and am now considering a genset, a Next gen in fact. I have had good feedback on the 3.5KW, I'm essentially interested in the addition of AC on the boat.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

leaky

Vice Admiral
Maybe they thought about the drag of a through hull for cooling a genset and a through hull for cooling an AC unit if their focus was on speed. I have had a simple 12V setup and am now considering a genset, a Next gen in fact. I have had good feedback on the 3.5KW, I'm essentially interested in the addition of AC on the boat.

They are the lightest & smallest thing in a permanent generator available. I couldn't find anything bad about them either, have a new one sitting here. When you go looking at the parts list, basically Nexgen doesn't seem to build much if anything rather they just assembled a system of off the shelf parts, so you are not really married to nexgen either.

Only downside I am aware of is the lack of an oil filter & 50 hour oil change interval as a result (don't quote me on that, read the manual). Basically if you fished a 3 day weekend and had it running most of the time that dictates an oil change, no big deal, takes a quart or something, but is extra maintenance.

Top Bottom