38 Northern Bay Repower

Fvdestiny

Commander
Website
www.destinyfishingscharters.com
Boat Make
38 northern bay green stick boat/30 Calvin beal tuna boat/20 Seacraft Master Angler
couple pics of Destiny Re power, working take out net 450 with zf 289 gear ,new zf 305-3 gear ,and fresh bilge paint..ready for new engine

IMG_1417.jpg

IMG_1420.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Mike, is the exhaust on the other side on the c90? Looking forward to your performance results.

Fvdestiny

Commander
Website
Boat Make
38 northern bay green stick boat/30 Calvin beal tuna boat/20 Seacraft Master Angler
the exhaust will be a crossover coming off port side now and we're going to go to straight pipe and divert water to steering cooler . This will give us cooling water for hydraulics when engine is started versus relying on electric pump which we have now to cool hydraulics.We had to step up transmission sizes to accommodate for size. The zf gear originally quoted didn't fit too large at bottom back side. Going with twin disc 5095 rated for 800HP which has taper and Jay at RI Engine said should work. More expensive ,but it beats having to redesign shaft etc..soft mounts still. I really didn't want to change much of the dynamics we had previously as boat ran flawlessly ,was quiet ,efficient, and most important raised fish.. With the 620 , hoping for higher cruise speed for the long runs to the east,,

Last edited:

Northern bay

Lieutenant Commander
Capt. what control system did you have installed previously and what is going in?

Fvdestiny

Commander
Website
Boat Make
electronic controls zf with valve 2.47-1 prior

I believe we're going to be able to use existing controls with mechanical valve ,twin disc 5095 was the gear that we found will fit which is overkill( up to 850HP) but gives us good options.

Northern bay

Lieutenant Commander
was it a ZF cruise command system? If so did you have any issues with boat going in and out of gear (fwd or reverse) without touching the control?

Fvdestiny

Commander
Website
Boat Make
new Iron

New engine arrived this past week. Doesn't fit in boat .Neither does transmission. Spoke with John Hutchins who built the hull and Mike (fish wish) Ronny( Jamies Toy) Kerry (JB) whom all have the same hull, as well as others and thank them for their input and thoughts.
John said each boat he built was really around each engine and since mine began with a very small Iveco 450 with a very flat shaft angle, I am limited as to options for install of c90 Iveco 620 with much larger transmission ( moving engine forward,lengthening shaft , drive savers,etc. After reviewing all these options, the most cost effective way to do install right as we need 1-1.5 inches is to put small bubbles in hull to allow engine and transmission to fit where they were meant to be. The hull is all glass where this repair will be made.Meeting with very good glass guy today at RI Engine to get ideas. A little diversion , hope we're back on track really soon.

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
You appear to be handling this way better than I would be, I would be having a fuckin nervous breakdown right about now!
What were your performance numbers with the other motor? Is it worth considering putting it back in, sell the package and get something designed for that new motor? My worry for you is that if you start making hull alterations so the new engine fits you may end up in a situation where nobody wants the boat in the future because its not original and has had its hull altered. This is a real bummer and I feel for you.

morgan1727

Commander
Had the same situation on a different boat worked out fine no problems. Just make sure they make the bubble big enough to take into consideration movement of motor on soft mounts etc. Better with a little extra room.

Top Bottom