38 Northern Bay

Reelaction

Lieutenant
I am looking for info or thoughts on a 38 northern bay. I considering building one for tuna fish. I have a 35 duffy now.

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
I am looking for info or thoughts on a 38 northern bay. I considering building one for tuna fish. I have a 35 duffy now.
Very efficient hull. Doesn't need a lot of hp to move quickly through the water. I have a 750 hp engine in one that does 26 knot cruise at 18 gph at 1870 rpm. WOT is 30+ knot. I have some other customers with less hp that cruise 21 knots at 500 Mhp w/ WOT of 26-27 knots. The hull is a little weight sensitive for speed, but they all are to some extent. I have found that they like diameter in the wheel for some reason? La Bella Vita is my favorite boat and it is a 38' NB. Jeff Eaton finished it off in Deer Isle Maine and he changed the position of the house, it is a realy pretty boat. Just my 2 cents FWIW.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I have a 35 Duffy I had built in 1983. I also have a NB38 I had built in 2008/2009.

What do you need to know?

Reelaction

Lieutenant
Who builds them? Is there ability to have fish holds or livewells under the deck. Is the nb more stable on the anchor? Any pics?

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
There is all kinds of room under the deck. I never had my boat on a anchor so I can only assume it sits on one great. I base that on the way it sits when I'm hauling traps. There is a link to the build thread pics on this site in the for sale section. NB38 for sale. I am out of the current new boat build loop at this time so I wouldn't know if a new NB38 can be built. The people I used no longer are doing it as far as I know. Namely; John Hutchins NB38 / DEboats and Composites, and Ira Guptill Custom Finishing.

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
You might also consider a 38' Lowell Brothers (38'9" x 13'1") It's a new design/mold for them, I just got the 2nd hull out of the mold (see white hull). It is a really beautiful hull and should deliver a softer ride than the NB38 and be every bit as fast and efficient. Nothing against the NB, it's a great boat too. Here are some pics of the 1st 38' Lowell Brothers (Thorobred). Thorobred is powered with an 800hp Man and tops out at 33 knots, and it is not a light boat. Lowell Brothers website is http://www.lowellbrothers.com/ Good luck.

DSCN9135.jpg

38 LowellB.jpg

38 Lowell.jpg

Last edited:

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Yes, you can still have them built. The mold is at another location and is on a lease agreement with JH. Travis would know who has it now. This picture is La Bella Vita finished off by Jeff Eaton and owned by Jeff Eaton. Fishes Stonington area.

Race run La Bella Vita.jpg

Last edited:

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Built right, she will fly

emmesplash.jpg

With 670 hp Emme has a 30 mph cruise at 2000 rpm sipping 24 gph and tops out at 36 mph WOT.
Boat weighed in around 24,000 lbs - not what I would consider a lightweight.

Has an insulated tuna hold under the deck, under deck live well and under deck dry storage area, shaft alley with dual element Racors and enough room to put a chair down there to fiddle with the transmission. Oh and 500+ gallons of fuel too. Did I mention the 6kw generator, because that is in there as well. Then if you step into the main salon, you will find all the batteries (2 8-D's for the engine and 4 6-volt batteries in series and paralleled for the house), 50 gallon fresh water tank, hot water heater, waste tank, 24 gallon hydraulic tank, all the pumps for various things - head, tuna hold, live well, potable water, salt water wash down, etc, the through-hull beamed transducers, engine room cameras and two glorious catwalks so you can access everything down there. Oh, also an engine with its dual exhaust. Want two guys under the deck working on things? Not a problem, plenty of room.

Topside there's the air conditioner, helm, settee, bait/tackle station, flip-down 20" flat screen television and the dash in all its glory with built-in flush mounted electronics. Forward there is the 4.1 cubic foot refrigerator/freezer, 3000 watt inverter/charger, bulkhead mounted head, enclosed shower, twin berths that take mattresses straight from the furniture store, hanging locker, galley, bow thruster, 19" flat screen television, anchor locker and the 40,000 btu heater.

Guess what I'm saying is there is a little bit of room in the ol' girl.

Here is the full list of goodies for those interested:
Emme
Northern Bay 38
Cummins QSM11 670 hp @ 2300
Electronic ZF 325A 1.79:1
28x32 4 Blade
30 mph cruise
36 mph max speed
Fuel Capacity: 500 Gallons
Dual 6" Exhaust
Airflow Restriction: 0%
Exhaust Backpressure: 0%

Time from Searsport, ME to Montauk, Ny : 11.5 hrs

Sportfish

Solid Glass Hull
Balsa Core Top
Full Height Balsa Core Stringers
Custom Non-skid pattern
Stainless Steel Hardware
Dual Steering Station
Autopilot
40' Removable Green Stick
Hydraulic Drum Reel
14" Hydraulic Hauler
Custom Stainless Steel Extendable Davit
Custom Power Coated Aluminum Mast
6kw Onan Generator
4kw Open Array Furuno Radar
6100i Northstar
Furuno Loran
Furuno Fish Finders
Dual VHF
ACR Spotlight
Dual Air Trumpets 141db
PA/Fog Horn
Sirius Satellite Radio
KVH Satellite Television
Satellite Telephone
19" Flat Screen Television
20" Flip-Down Flat Screen Television
Kenwood DVD Stereo
Stainless Steel Microwave/Toaster
4.1 cu/ft Refer/Freezer
Tuna Hold with Macerator
Live Well with Flood Pump and Macerator
Below Deck Storage Area
Strong Dripless Shaft Seal
Strong Dripless Rudder Seal
Custom Stainless Steel Rudder
Stainless Steel Shaft Razor
50 Gal. Fresh Water Tank
Aluminum Framed Limo Glass Windows
Custom Sliding Door Starboard Side
Custom Sliding Door Winterback
Removable Transom Door
8-Person Life Raft
SidePower Bow Thruster
Tecma Evolution Head
ElectoSan Waste Treatment System
16,000 btu Marvair Air Conditioner
40,000 btu Heater
QL Water Heater
80 psi Washdown System
Power Steering
Dual Bunks Forward
Enclosed Head/Shower
EuroTouch LED Red/White Cabin Lights
3,000 ProSine Inverter/Charger
Halogen Deck/Flood Lights
LED Navigation Lights
LED Ambiance Exterior Lights
LED Ambiance Interior Lights
Xenon Underwater Lights
Capac Galvanic System
Fabric Hull Covering Forward
Carpeted Interior
Custom Removable Salon Floor Covering
Bait Rigging Table w/ Wet Sink
Hanging Locker Forward
Aluminum/Stainless Steel Deck Hatches
Headliner
Custom Dash With Inlaid Electronics
DeepLuster Dash Finish
Custom stained Interior
Curved Furnishings
TriCel Deck
TriCel Winterback
Media Center Ports
Custom Cedrela Trim
Engine Room Cameras
Engine Room Lights
Access/Inspection Hatches Below Deck
Cockpit Controled 21' Outriggers

loafn2

Lieutenant
Boat Make
38 Northern Bay
We took Emme to Georges bank this past weekend. The boat ran great and she sits wonderful on anchor. We have been fishing her hard this year and we have not seem to find any flaws. The boat has a huge in the deck live-well that holds fish great and the tuna casket we have is 96" long and has to be at least 3.5' deep so she can hold a few large fish. The fuel capacity was great and her cruising speed are great.

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
any clue what her speed and burn is at 1800-1850 RPM? Curious how it relates to my NB36 w/ the same engine....

loafn2

Lieutenant
Boat Make
38 Northern Bay
well we don't usually cruise around those RPMs i guess ill give you an idea for our ride out we cruised at 1670RPM - 13.8GPH and an speed of 14.5knots
2100RPM- speed of 25 knots and a fuel burn of about 23GPH
she as a QSM11 Cummins in her with 670HP

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
OK - more or less the same - loaded I probably am ~15 knots at 1670 RPM, and while I would never run at 2100 - I probably see 24+ knots there also. I'm 20+/17.5 GPH knots at 1850 fully loaded; 22+/21 GPH knots at 2000/ RPM

Have you seen any signs of exhaust manifold leaks w. your QSM? Tony Athens has pretty much drilled into my brain to keep fuel burn below 20GPH to avoid putting too much heat through the dry manifold...

cb34

Rear Admiral
Fish

We took Emme to Georges bank this past weekend. The boat ran great and she sits wonderful on anchor. We have been fishing her hard this year and we have not seem to find any flaws. The boat has a huge in the deck live-well that holds fish great and the tuna casket we have is 96" long and has to be at least 3.5' deep so she can hold a few large fish. The fuel capacity was great and her cruising speed are great.
Any Fish??

mfrench808

Lieutenant Commander
Northern Bay 38

mfrench808-albums-2012-northern-bay-38-picture529-img-0168.jpg
mfrench808-albums-northern-bay-38-picture222-p1010407.jpg

I love my Northern Bay 38. Great Boat! I don't get to use it all that much being in the office. It is a cored hull and top with a 500 HP Volvo. Fuel Burn at Cruise 20 knots is around 14 gallons per hour. I have a four blade bronze but will upgrade to a 3 blade nibral. I love the way my lines turned out. I think its the nicest NB 38 I have seen (I am partial). The boat handles amazing in a following sea, head sea or beam. It's the shit. I doesn't push water as you can see when cruising. The boat doesn't ride with the bow in the air when cruising or at WOT. This puppy was balanced perfect with a 335 Gallon Fuel Tank in the middle. The boat just came out right. Gary Kieff is the finisher of Morgan Bay and took over John's shop which created the NB 38.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom