38 Wesmac vs 42 Bruno

seanhev77

Ensign
Im looking at both a 38 ft Wesmac and a 42ft Bruno to buy. I'll be using it for Snapper Grouper fishing in FL and greenstick fishing for Tuna. What are some of the biggest differences between the two hulls? Which one is better in rough seas? Does anybody have any reason why they would prefer one of these hulls over the other?

Thx

seanhev77

Ensign
The Bruno is a 1980 hull and early 2000 's 3306 Cat engine. The Wesmac is late 90s or early 2000's hull and Cat 3208 engine. The Bruno has a dry stack which I like and the Wesmac does not. There will be some heavy loads aboard and the wet exhaust makes me nervous. Speed is not that important as we will be cruising 8-12 knots most of the time when commercial fishing. We won't be doing any charters. Does either hull roll more than the other?

FVSD

Lieutenant Commander
Wesmac, that old Bruno is a great boat but the hull must be 20-30 years old. YouTube wesmac 38 and check out the running angle on these boats when light. Great hull and very well built

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
The Wesmac is a faster hull, will be more stable, and is a much more modern design. I can attest to the insane ruggedness of the Wesmac hull, they are built very stout- I have pictures of the cut outs on my 38 Wesmac hull, it's battleship tough. I cannot say enough good things about my 38 Wesmac, it's great in every way, and I commercial fish it offshore in Alaska.

The Bruno is larger, has soft chines, and is going to ride softer into a head sea. I don't know how well this Bruno is constructed compared to the Wesmac... All I know is if Wesmac built the boat, it will be tough. If speed isn't a big concern, then I would get the boat that is in better condition. It sounds like either boat design would work well for you, but personally I would get the boat that is in better condition.

Top Bottom