38' Wesmac Youtube videos

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Brian...looks nice...are you happy with how she runs ??

The only thing better would be a 42' or 46' Wesmac ;). I really like it, it is extremely smooth running with zero vibrations, runs straight and flat. At wide open you don't have to touch the steering wheel. It turns tighter than any boat I've built and is very maneuverable around the dock. You can see in the video it has a nice flat running attitude and it gets up on plane very quickly. A nice cruise is 19.4 knots at 13.9 gph. I would build and own another one in a second. Everyone here on the west coast loves it, I've had a bunch of guys come up and say "that looks like a Wicked Tuna boat", or "is that boat from Maine".

The John Deere 9 liter is also very impressive, smooth, quiet, etc. I really think a 9 liter 500-575hp in a 38' Downeast boat is a perfect combination of speed and economy. With the current prop, top speed is 23.5 knots at 20.2 gph; that's real good in my opinion. I have the sea trial numbers in my other thread.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Looks great! Do you have any interior pics? I'm curious how much room you have down below with the walk around.

Teaserhead

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1990 Flye Pt. 32 BHM
Brian, she sails beautifully. Where are you moored at? Do you know when you are leaving? I'd love to see her in the water before you go. Thanks.

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I think you should just exit the harbor, turn north and head on up! Have you ever run a boat up before or have you always sent them up via the barge?

Tell me about it :D. I had every intention of doing that, but dreams and reality sometimes collide and reality wins every time. I've always shipped on the barge before, but I know quite a few guys that have made the run in their boats. The real wild card in the whole trip is crossing the Gulf of Alaska, you are in the middle of no where, I would have to pack extra fuel to cross it, etc. Someday I will run a boat up, but not this year.

Brian, she sails beautifully. Where are you moored at? Do you know when you are leaving? I'd love to see her in the water before you go. Thanks.

It's on the hard now getting the prop re-pitched and some other small details done. We are launching again Monday at 11:00 AM, call me at 816-365-9175 and I'll take you for a ride. I'm looking forward to see what she does with the new prop, hoping and expecting about 25 knots.

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Looks great! Do you have any interior pics? I'm curious how much room you have down below with the walk around.

You do lose a little space with the walkaround, but I tried to make the most of the space I had and I'm very happy how it turned out. So happy I will be doing the same design again. Honestly, I think the walkaround is the best, most safe design if you don't mind your cabin being narrower.

Wesmac5.jpg

Wesmac6.jpg

Wesmac7.jpg

Wesmac8.jpg

Wesmac9.jpg

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Brian,

Now that you have built a "composite" boat versus "plywood"...(I understand the hulls were not the same).....

can you give a reasonable opinion on the quietness or lack of vibration in

using nidacore vs plywood?

Or is there really no difference ????

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Brian,

Now that you have built a "composite" boat versus "plywood"...(I understand the hulls were not the same).....

can you give a reasonable opinion on the quietness or lack of vibration in

using nidacore vs plywood?

Or is there really no difference ????

I've always used marine fir plywood in my other boats and was happy with the material, and would understand if a guy wanted to use wood on a new build to save money. But on a boat that I owned, I would use nothing but Nidacore or Canacore. I love working with the material, it is lightweight, very stiff, and makes a more quiet boat. There may be other core material that guys like and works good, but I really like the honeycomb plastic core and would recommend it.

This Wesmac is the most quiet and has the least vibration of any boat I have built. I think there are a few factors that cause this boat to feel very solid. The use of Nidacore and the thickness of the Wesmac hull makes for a very strong boat and quiet ride. The John Deere is also a smooth runner and has a refined feel to it. Fly out here and take a ride, or fly up to Alaska and I'll take you for a ride and send you home with some wild caught fresh salmon!!

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I've always used marine fir plywood in my other boats and was happy with the material, and would understand if a guy wanted to use wood on a new build to save money. But on a boat that I owned, I would use nothing but Nidacore or Canacore. I love working with the material, it is lightweight, very stiff, and makes a more quiet boat. There may be other core material that guys like and works good, but I really like the honeycomb plastic core and would recommend it.

This Wesmac is the most quiet and has the least vibration of any boat I have built. I think there are a few factors that cause this boat to feel very solid. The use of Nidacore and the thickness of the Wesmac hull makes for a very strong boat and quiet ride. The John Deere is also a smooth runner and has a refined feel to it. Fly out here and take a ride, or fly up to Alaska and I'll take you for a ride and send you home with some wild caught fresh salmon!!

I've worked with the nidacore. The ONLY thing I see problematic as far as a "nice finished edge" is making a radius edged unless one wants to finish it with a piece of wood or plastice trim ??

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Brian,
Any pics of the Glendinning install at the engine/tranny? I've got to start thinking about my install in a week or so here......

I have electric shift on my trans, so it's basically two small wires that connect to a box on top of the transmission, and I don't have pics of that. However, I'm assuming you are mechanical shift on your transmission, so what you do is run a cable from the Glendinning box to the shift lever on your transmission. You will have to adjust the throw of the shifting lever and the throttle lever on the Glendinning box. All the instructions are there, it's really pretty easy.

gregs

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Flowers 38
Brian, have you ever contacted any over the road haulers about shipping your hulls west?
I am looking at shipping a Flowers 38 w/ cruisers cabin from Duluth to Seattle in a year or so - if you know anyone that does this or knows about it, let me know please
thanks in advance

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Brian, have you ever contacted any over the road haulers about shipping your hulls west?
I am looking at shipping a Flowers 38 w/ cruisers cabin from Duluth to Seattle in a year or so - if you know anyone that does this or knows about it, let me know please
thanks in advance

Duluth, Minnesota? What's a 38 Flowers doing in Minnesota :D? I must admit I have never contacted a pro hauler because my dad and I have always done the moving ourselves. Based off my actual expenses of moving boats myself, I can tell you hiring someone is going to be quite expensive. My best guess from Minnesota to Seattle would be $10k - $18k. Any oversize move like that will require detours, flag cars, permits, possible construction delays, etc. From Maine to Seattle would probably cost a guy $16k - $25k depending on the size of the boat. Again, these are just guesses based off the expenses that I have had moving boats cross country.

Do you currently own this Flowers boat?

gregs

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Flowers 38
Ken is building it now. Will sail to Duluth on its own bottom then ship to Seattle. The boat will be under 14' wide, 38' long and the height of the boat will be around 12'. I am hoping the weight will be around 19,000 Do you think that will require flag cars?

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Ken is building it now. Will sail to Duluth on its own bottom then ship to Seattle. The boat will be under 14' wide, 38' long and the height of the boat will be around 12'. I am hoping the weight will be around 19,000 Do you think that will require flag cars?

That sounds like a great trip, you can't tell us about a boat and not give us some more details and pictures :D.

You will be under 14' wide, so on the interstates in Minnesota and states west you will not need a flag car. However, it is very likely that your boat will have to take a detour or two around interstate construction, which means you will be on 2 lane roads/highways which will most likely require a flag car. If you get real lucky, there will be no road construction/detours and you won't incur the extra expense of a flag car, or the extra miles of a detour. With my Wesmac, from Maine to Missouri we had to go as far south as Tennessee to avoid major interstate construction through a few states, it added about 300 miles to the trip and probably $500 in extra flag car expenses. As far as height goes, you want to stay under 14' overall height. My Wesmac was 13'9" from Missouri to Washington and we had no issues with height, really I could have been 14'6" and had no issues. If you are over 14' overall height, some states may require a pole car ahead of your boat, but that is up to the individual states, and it in the states you will be going through, it's probably not likely you would need a pole car until you get over 14'6". A professional mover should know all these details and a good mover is worth their weight in gold. Good luck and keep us updated. Is your home port in the Seattle area?

Last edited:
Top Bottom