38 Young Bros cruiser. CT

jnoon

Lieutenant Commander
I spoke to the owner a couple of years ago. My overall impression was that it was a pretty big project. There were reportedly soft spots in the trunk cabin, "wiring project started" some unfinished work on flybridge, woodwork repair needed in v-berth. The status may have changed since then if the owner continued updating. It's a balsa cored hull, and I was a little leery of it due to the apparent overall condition of the boat.

As a disclaimer, I didn't see the boat in person, and if you are willing to undertake a project, it could be a great boat at the right price.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
been listed for ever and by the brokers own words " drastically over priced"

JoeD

Lieutenant
Tamd 72e

Thanks for your feedback guys.

What do you know about the TAMD 72E, are these reliable motors? Per the Add this one has 1550 hours. If they are original hours, I suppose there’s lots of life left on it, right?
Thanks
Joe

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
If the motor is clean it should have good life left. Even though it is a sleeved motor, if it needs rebuilding it will be cost prohibitive. I had its predecessor and parts alone, with new heads was WAY more than it was worth to do. Before labor.

andy65

Commander
First Name
Andy
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I saw the boat a year ago. If you look past the cosmetics, a guy doing his own work could make something of it. The hull looked good. Needs work around the forward hatch, wood trim in the helm. Boat has an interesting side note. An historic shipwreck was found off of Rhode Island a few years ago. The guys were amateurs but managed to keep their find under wraps for a over a year until they got legalities sorted out. This was the discovery was made from. It is a big boat. More work than I would want but definitely worth a look at the price. Someone could turn it into something nice. Probably not as big a project as the Duffy 35 discussed in this thread. Guy was doing work in the wheelhouse, wires exposed, etc. like he lost interest. Part of the reason it stays on the market is it has more of a cabin below than a lobsterman would want but not as much as a cruiser like me would want.

JoeD

Lieutenant
Thanks,
I’ll look at it once the weather gives us a break! I don’t mind the cosmetic FG, wood work or even wiring, right now my biggest concern is its motor life expectancy.
on the other hand, I starting calling a few marinas ( just in case) between New London CT and P Judith RI…I’m also having a hard time finding a slip for this size and draft boat.
Any tips on that?
Thanks
Joe

offshore31

Captain
if you go after the boat, the best volvo guys in the area are mcdonnell marine service, out of bloomfield. have them do the engine survey.

as for marina's, mystic river marina has deep slips. same with the one down at the bottom of the river in noank. i like mystic because its protected by fishers island, but you have great access to the sound or offshore.

i do not know the boat, but have dealt with that brokerage on another boat. make sure you get a full hull and engine survey.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Spicer's Marina in Noank. They have the fish dock at bargain pricing compared to their fancy cement floaters and it sounds as if she would fit right in there. No long ride out and extremely sheltered.

JoeD

Lieutenant
I appreciate all the help guys.
The weather sucks **s again so I won’t be seeing this boat for a another couple of weeks, meantime I’ll keep researching the motor/boat combo and marinas.

Top Bottom