3M Performance Spray Gun

Cool Boat

Captain
3M Accuspray with a red tip was great to spray gelcoat. The classic dump gun also works but is nowhere as nice as the 3M. Any good sprayer can shoot gelcoat. Cleanup is a big issue. The 3M Accuspray has a disposable nozzle worth under 5$. Cleaning one of those guns could be done in under 5 minutes vs at least half an hour for any other gun I used. If shooting a lot of gelcoat an external mix MVP gun (4 grand) is worth the investment.

Busanga

Deckhand
as a mattter of interest what about the Gelcoater Gelcoat G4 gun

3.5 and 4.8 tips

Cool Boat

Captain
as a mattter of interest what about the Gelcoater Gelcoat G4 gun

3.5 and 4.8 tips

[/URL]
I have their 1000GX and a similar gun to their model 4 we used to use for touchup. The 1000 is what we call the dump gun. It is great for shooting aggregate gelcoats, like for a bbq setup. Does a great job on it. Fast to clean too. Atomization and pattern of the boat building gelcoat wasn't great. IMO the Model 4 and similar touch up guns which might spray beautifully just take too long to clean and I've had issues with plugging if the gelcoat wasn't carefully filtered. I have a friend who sticks with a pressure pot and a high end Binks gun. He is usually shooting large hull molds up to around 50'. He does lose a hose every now and again but just considers it as part of the cost. That MVP gun with external mix really was the Rolls Royce though. Marine - Magnum Venus Products If I was doing a large batch of gelcoating I would invest in one.

Busanga

Deckhand
that MVP looks the dogs [email protected]@cks. But i am only doing DIY stuff. repairing spider cracks (about 2 feet network along both gunwales) and may re gelcoat deck (56sqft) after recoring. and small touch ups here and there

southshore30

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
36 Northern Bay

Busanga

Deckhand
Thanks for all the info guys. what was the issue with spraying the cabin interior with the Accuspray. is it the volume of gel coat the cup holds ?

and on another note, when rolling , how do you lay down the second coat without damaging the first, as the gel coat is still tacky isnt it ?

southshore30

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
36 Northern Bay

Top Bottom