40' H & H Vs. 37 duffy

Muscie

Commander
Boat Make
36 Flowers finished by Cape Island, 2014 ; 645 QSM11
Any one have any comments on either or both of the these hulls.
I am considering building new. My main concern is ride quality & sea keeping.
Thanks

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Having once had the 40hh I think they are completely different hulls. The HH is a beast but is a huge platform...it doesn't push easy if you put everything you want on it. I'd take it anywhere.

Muscie

Commander
Boat Make
Thanks, yes I agree they are completly diffent hulls. most of my fishing is drift fishing. I fish between gardiners Island in Long island & block Island & everything in between, Mtk, race, fishers i. , etc.
cruising is same area & lower NE, RI, ct, mass.

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
There are guys on here that forgot more than I know about DE hulls but It is my understanding the Duffy is a built down hull so the engine sits down(built down)deeper in the hull. Lower center of gravity, better shaft angle, easier to keep a flush deck. But not as stable as a skeg built. But not by much as I understand. The H&H is skeg built. It is a beal design and is very wide and flat on the bottom. The wide has to carry to the forefoot to some degree. So she will be wetter and not as good as the duffy in a head sea. Also as stated need more power to push her. The duffy 37 is the big brother to the 35 which of course is arguably the most famous DE hull ever. They took all the good features of the 35 and incorporated them into the 37 along with some modern design techniques to produce an incredible hull. Personally I would go with the 37 duffy but it depends on your use and what you want to do. I should also mention never been for a ride on either of these hulls so I'm kinda repeating what I have learned on this site and else where. Hope I don't sound like a fool!!!!!!!!!!!!

unclefish

Commander
Boat Make
32 Mitchell Cove
Muscie might want to check out a Calvin beal talked to a kid up in lower Maine that had a 36 hh and now has 36 Calvin beal . He basically told me 36 hh would beat him to the fishing grounds but when then got there he wouldn't get rocked out of the boat. So if your fishing the same toilet bowl we fish here in long island sound might want to consider what you do more of cruising or sitting and fishing.

Whatta Catch

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.whattacatch.com
Boat Make
40' H and H, 31 JC and 25' Carolina Skiff
I have a 40 H&H and I can say she is a Beast. 15' beam. The cockpit is huge. I have a 650 Mack in her. I cruise at 16kts very comfortable. If I want to go faster she likes to burn Fuel. Im located in Brooklyn N.Y. and if you want to check her out feel free to take a peak. She sits like a duck on Anchor and drifts great. Doesn't Rock like stated about the 36'.

h and h port side.jpg

Hooper

Captain
I agree with Shawn here. Take for example my buddy's 37 Duffy, he has a 500 Yanmar in her and he scoots along at 23kts. If you threw that 650 Mack in her, Christ, I can't imagine what you'd get, though the Mack is a much heavier engine than the Yanmar... The 37 Duffy hull is very efficient. Tuna already said it, Spencer Lincoln took one of his greatest DE hulls of all time, the 35 Duffy, and made it even better. Wish I could have one built.

First%20light%20running%202.jpg

Last edited:

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
I have a 40 H&H and I can say she is a Beast. 15' beam. The cockpit is huge. I have a 650 Mack in her. I cruise at 16kts very comfortable. If I want to go faster she likes to burn Fuel. Im located in Brooklyn N.Y. and if you want to check her out feel free to take a peak. She sits like a duck on Anchor and drifts great. Doesn't Rock like stated about the 36'.

That is a great looking boat!!! Muscie what about the 38 H&H? Your jumping from a 37 to a 40. The 40 is the same hull as the 38 just 2 feet longer.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Hopper that is the best looking 37 I've seen. Sometimes they can look out of proportion. IMO. Any other shots?

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
We pushed the 40hh with a cat 3406e. 18 kts did 24gph that is an 800hp engine. Maxed out 24kts.

Muscie

Commander
Boat Make
Thanks for the input. Basically trying to get the most "bang for the buck". I looked into the 38HH, but the beam is the same as the 40. I would think better ride, more proportional, 2 more feet, w/little incremental cost. I am generally a built down fan, but it was suggested to me to look into 40HH for comparison before I make a final decision. Started this processs w/the 35 dufffy as my preferred choice, but based on relative cost & some creature comforts for the spouse, seem like a little more room is needed.

Muscie

Commander
Boat Make
I would like to take you up on seing your 40HH.
maybe easiest to just email me at [email protected] to work it out at your convenience. I am in nassau county, so easy trip.

great looking boat; (but so is the 37); hence the delima.

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
Thanks for the input. Basically trying to get the most "bang for the buck". I looked into the 38HH, but the beam is the same as the 40. I would think better ride, more proportional, 2 more feet, w/little incremental cost. I am generally a built down fan, but it was suggested to me to look into 40HH for comparison before I make a final decision. Started this processs w/the 35 dufffy as my preferred choice, but based on relative cost & some creature comforts for the spouse, seem like a little more room is needed.

have you seen Gertrude Steele the 38' Calvin recently completed and launched by SW Boat Works? Check out his build process on his web site.

Muscie

Commander
Boat Make
I saw it on there site. Really nice. Thanks

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Muscie- If you are looking for the most "bang for the buck", I would go with the 37 Duffy, if you have limited it to the Duffy and 40 H&H. The 40 H&H is going to cost more money to build and you will have to go with a lot more hp in the 40 if you want to go the same speed as the 37. A 500 hp diesel from Volvo, Deere, Iveco, or Cummins would be a great engine for a 37 Duffy. I really like the 37 Duffy and it was one of the hulls I was seriously looking at, but you can get a 38'-38'8" hull for the same price, and a longer boat is a better boat. The 38' hulls that are very similar in size to the Duffy are the Lowell Brothers, Wesmac, Flowers, and NB. All nice boats, I would visit with all the builders before you decide. Visiting the builders made my decision a lot easier. Good luck.

Top Bottom