42-foot 1979 Bruno Stillman as a sea boat?

Hi all:

I commercial fish for salmon (troller) in Alaska outta Sitka. Was looking at a glass boat, a 1979 42-foot Bruno Stillman, and was wondering what you guys thought of the make as a sea boat? Draft is listed as 4 feet (just as a frame of reference, my present wooden vessel has 6 feet of draft, which is about standard on a lotta commercial trollers). The Bruno does have rolling chaulks, which might mitigate the knockaround aspects some, but am sorta leery. Looks wet and like it'd get heeled over easier'n it should -- like it can't take a punch. Course, it's my understanding this is a very popular boat, both for commercial and sportfishing up and down the east coast, so was hoping some of you wouldn't mind sticking your oar in the water on this one. Happy to be wrong in my surmise. Any commentary appreciated. Tx. all, and good fishing.

dr

p.s. Had heard about the balsa coring issues and the joining the two halves together, but wasn't sure which years those issues pertained to. If anyone knows that, or if '79 is a "good" year, that, too, would be appreciated.

p.p.s. Originally posted this over at noreast.com forums, but took "bloodnguts"'s suggestion that I repost here on downeastboatforum.com for added input. Here's a link to the boat in question:
Dock Street Brokers ::

Think it's WILDLY overpriced for what it is, but then they don't call 'em trollers for nothing.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Brunos are great boats they take some real shit but at that price i would run we fish them her in mass for all kinds of thing from scallops to lobster to groundfish i have fish on one 150+ miles offshore and she loved it they are wet but there boats they take wait good and troll blue fin tuna good. Hope thats a help

tashmoo2

Commander
42 bruno is a beautiful hull design by Royal Lowell. Bruno's construction practices and owners who did not properly seal the balsa later on when adding accessories gave cored hulls a bad name.

This boat has a lot of stuff above the water line. I would be concerned with weight and how well the holes were sealed. The lobser boat hulls rode very level in the water. My personal opinion is that they were designed to be lobster boats.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
42 bruno is a beautiful hull design by Royal Lowell. Bruno's construction practices and owners who did not properly seal the balsa later on when adding accessories gave cored hulls a bad name.

This boat has a lot of stuff above the water line. I would be concerned with weight and how well the holes were sealed. The lobser boat hulls rode very level in the water. My personal opinion is that they were designed to be lobster boats.
Absolutely.
A buddy of mine got a 40 ft young bros a while back. Had a flybridge with all kinds of aluminum work up top. He said is was pretty scary in a sea, and didnt ride very nice at all.
Took a hull meant for one thing, and tried to make it do another, all while hoping for the same efficient ride of a basic lobster boat.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
The original Bruno & Stillmans of 1979 vintage were cored above & below the water line. In the early Bruno's they did not de-core areas where thru hull went thru. The swan song was the rudder posts. The hole was made & the rudder stuffing boxes were installed. As the core compressed the rudder stuffing boxes let go which lead to hull failures and total loss of some boats. Bruno started to correct the problems by going to solid glass hulls but the damage was done & Bruno Stillman soldout. The molds were later bought by Nauset and there were no issues. The design of both the 35 & 42 was a work of art & the perfect hull for work boat design. The one knock on the hull that I always found was that the propeller aperture was not large enough to allow them to turn larger wheels. Other that that fine a good one and you will have a good boat.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Great boats but i would be concerned about all the "westenazation " done to that boat, i'd bet she's a rolly bitch.

Reactions: DBM
Top Bottom