42x15 Calvin Beal

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I read on Calvin Beal Boat's facebook page that they are coming out with a 42', Stewart said it was the 38' stretched. I think a 42x15 CB will be a popular size. Can't wait to see the first one. I like to see boat builders expanding their lines and giving guys even more options.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
I just read the same thing. Then you had 40 people trying to them what size they should make next.
I can wait to see the 42x15 and the numbers that come out of this creation

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I just read the same thing. Then you had 40 people trying to them what size they should make next.
I can wait to see the 42x15 and the numbers that come out of this creation

Ya, I don't like it when people say it should be 16' or 17' wide. If a guy wants something wider, buy the 44 CB. I personally think it was a great move stretching that 15' wide hull to 42'. I would love to finish a 42' Calvin Beal for the Alaska fishery. Walkaround Pilot house, 750hp, what a battleship that would be.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland
Last edited:

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

woodworks

Lieutenant
I agree, there are plenty of big fat boats out there. Its good to see someone coming out with a boat that looks a little less like a barge and a lot more like a normal boat!

Once you go "FAT" (wide body) you don't come back!

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
If I was in the business of making hulls, I would produce whatever is 2 feet bigger than PowderPro's current project at the time. :D

Stew is no Dummy.

I am kind of a sucker for a new boat project;).

Stew is a real good guy and a good business man. If he is coming out with a 42', it's because guys have been asking for one. I think it will be a very popular size, and the 38' top mold will work for both the 38 and 42. I think it's pretty cool when a boat builder comes out with a new model.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Is this 42x15 being built to compete with wesmac's 42?
I may also be comparing apples and oranges here, so please dont mind my lack of knowledge on these boats

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Is this 42x15 being built to compete with wesmac's 42?
I may also be comparing apples and oranges here, so please dont mind my lack of knowledge on these boats

Wesmac, H&H, Flowers, Lowell Brothers, Duffy, all offer 42's or 43's that the 42' Calvin would compete with. Like the 38' class, the 42'-43' class has a lot of good offerings.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I am kind of a sucker for a new boat project;).

Stew is a real good guy and a good business man. If he is coming out with a 42', it's because guys have been asking for one. I think it will be a very popular size, and the 38' top mold will work for both the 38 and 42. I think it's pretty cool when a boat builder comes out with a new model.

I think your changing the cook inlet fleet one boat at a time !!! Happy New Year to you & Dad !!

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Can you get a decent size engine under a small step on the 38? I'd hate to have a 42 foot boat that needed a big box. Still curious if there moving the running gear or just adding 4ft, IMO from the pictures I've seen the 38 doesn't run real bow high so just adding 4ft might not be good.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
The 38 CB is actually 38'9" in length, so to get to 42' would require 3'3" additional length. So I would think they could get away with not extending the running gear aft. I have no knowledge of Stewart's plans, that's just my opinion.

I have seen many 37' Wegley hulls (west coast) extended 3'-5' and they all perform just fine. Wesmac routinely stretches their 42' to a 46', and I don't see them extending the running gear, so it must work good. Even the 38 Wesmac (actually 38'8" in length) can and has been shortened to a 36' hull. So the running gear on a 38' Wesmac is actually where it would typically be on a 36'-37' hull, and the 38 Wesmac is a really responsive boat at the dock. So in my opinion, I don't think it would be necessary to extend the running gear if you are adding approx. 3'3" to a hull.

I also think the 38 CB runs at a good attitude, but the additional length will allow it to carry weight better and more efficiently.

Last edited:

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
All good points, my thoughts on this were based on the 42/46 wesmac. The 46 from what I see has a flatter running angle and tends to ride better from my experience. I never rode a 38 Calvin but from pics I wouldn't want to change the running angle. I'm sure steward workman and Calvin beal know a hell of a lot more then I do on this though.

Powder, you should just order one and prove me wrong!

swboatworks

Lieutenant
Can you get a decent size engine under a small step on the 38? I'd hate to have a 42 foot boat that needed a big box. Still curious if there moving the running gear or just adding 4ft, IMO from the pictures I've seen the 38 doesn't run real bow high so just adding 4ft might not be good.
Yes we will be adding to her right in the middle +- alil. The shaft will have to be longer. We just finished a 38 Calvin with a C12 Cat 700 HP. She had a split wheel house with a 7" raised salon floor. A C13 Iveco will go there as well. So we can put good ,reasonable power in her. Keep checking my website, I am going to have a 42 specked out for sale as a contract boat. I have my marine architect doing a drawing for me. We have our 44s with the Iveco going 30 mph, I would think the 42 should do the same.or more :)

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Good to hear, looking forward to seeing one. Btw, you have one of the few de websites that are worth a damn. I check it regularly

Top Bottom