43 lowell or 45 provincial in weather

dave fuller

Lieutenant
Not counting the fact that provincials are hard to sell in states, has anyone been on either boat in weather. Times I've been on provincials in p.e.I. the weather and sea has been calm. Has anyone been on both to give me a comparison?

nick4634

Lieutenant
never been on lowell, but have fished on most sizes of downeast and novi style. The provincial are not so good in the open ocean compared to others of their size wesmac beal and dixon novi. there narrow beam lowsheer for there size and most of the ones around here are falling aprt

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Never fished a lowell, but fished a Provicial in all kinds of weather. No problems at all and built like a brick shithouse. ( never heard of one " falling apart" either ). I am pretty sure the Lowell would be fine too

Mr Machine

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
36 Northern Bay
image.jpg
2000 43 Lowell ....I have fished the boat in florida and is currently fishing in Montauk ,no matter what sea she is in ....handles it no problem

image.jpg

Provincial

Commander
Not counting the fact that provincials are hard to sell in states, has anyone been on either boat in weather. Times I've been on provincials in p.e.I. the weather and sea has been calm. Has anyone been on both to give me a comparison?

Please PM me your email and I would be happy to send you a list of Provincial boat owners.

manni-yunk

Commander
never been on lowell, but have fished on most sizes of downeast and novi style. The provincial are not so good in the open ocean compared to others of their size wesmac beal and dixon novi. there narrow beam lowsheer for there size and most of the ones around here are falling aprt

Never seen, or heard of a Provincial falling apart. I spend time on a 45 and it is a beast. Ive been out in rough weather including spending time at anchor and running. Does not seem narrow to me at all.......are you sure you are talking about the same boat????

seaworm1

Lieutenant
Ive never fished a Lowell, but I have spent a couple weeks on a 45 Provincial. They are built rugged, solid glass everywhere you look. They are a monster in any kind of head sea, and go pretty damn good considering the power to length ratio. Now the Canadians say that the Provincials roll quite a bit, but I think that they are comparing them to other beamy canadian boats, and compared to some of those hulls they do roll considerably more, but I believe they are a bit narrower than most of the other canadian 45's- compared to my 35 duffy the Provincials SQUAT while drifting in heavy seas. Ive fished more than a few terrible days on the drift on a provincial, and have literally said out loud that on the same day I would deem it unfishable in my 35.

Some of the provincial owners have glassed in "training wheels" just inside of the chine essentially kindoff adding a hard chine inboard of the hulls soft chine- they claim it massively cuts down on the roll of the boat.

Im seriously considering the 45 as my next hull, they are mostly built as bare bones work boats, and have lots of room for modifications, mostly in my case extending the normally 6 ft long wheelhouse an additional 6 ft. and adding a few creature comforts.

Last edited:

dave fuller

Lieutenant
I should have added earlier when I asked about a provivcial compared to a Lowell 43, that I have had a couple of trips on a 45 Doucette. It felt and was set up like a provincial. In fact if I hzdnt seen name it would of taken awhile to see it wasn't a provincial, that's how close they look alike. Does anybody know anything about Doucette boats. Saw a few in a couple of harbors on p.e.i. but never really saw more than a couple. Provincials pretty well dominates the market. Also behind cottage I stay in there's a small lake that's full of walleye but promised to never name lake. Also wondering does Canada have somewhat same laws about buying American boats as we do about Canadian vessels.

Bob Turcotte

Lieutenant
That is hard to answer on custom work alot of times it is hard to get the two compared apples for apples. Talk is cheep be aware that there are alot of factors that go into each design so you need to have an idea as to what, where and how the vessel is intended to be used.

nick4634

Lieutenant
when i said the provincials were faling apart i meant the commercial one around 15 yrs old or so. The decks separating from the hull at the transom. rail cracks and rotten and narrow compard to other novis there length

manni-yunk

Commander
That is hard to answer on custom work alot of times it is hard to get the two compared apples for apples. Talk is cheep be aware that there are alot of factors that go into each design so you need to have an idea as to what, where and how the vessel is intended to be used.

Completely understand - but are they in the same ballpark?

Bob Turcotte

Lieutenant
Not in my estimation. Understanding the mathematical caracteristics of a design tells alot of the design so that is where I start to look at a boat. As far as the reply to the boat separating and having rot that what wood cores (end grain balsa and plywood) will do in no time then the laminate is bound to fail. As these cores get water in them then go thru a few freeze-thaw periods the swelling delaminates the consrtuction.

manni-yunk

Commander
Not in my estimation. Understanding the mathematical caracteristics of a design tells alot of the design so that is where I start to look at a boat. As far as the reply to the boat separating and having rot that what wood cores (end grain balsa and plywood) will do in no time then the laminate is bound to fail. As these cores get water in them then go thru a few freeze-thaw periods the swelling delaminates the consrtuction.

I was under the impression that provincials have no wood coring. Its 100% glass.

Provincial

Commander
when i said the provincials were faling apart i meant the commercial one around 15 yrs old or so. The decks separating from the hull at the transom. rail cracks and rotten and narrow compard to other novis there length

In 39 years of boat building we have never seen or heard of a deck separating from the hull, the first boat we built in 1974 is still fishing. I would like to know whose boat you are referring to please send me a private message. We use no core in the work deck or hull.

Provincial

Commander
Ive never fished a Lowell, but I have spent a couple weeks on a 45 Provincial. They are built rugged, solid glass everywhere you look. They are a monster in any kind of head sea, and go pretty damn good considering the power to length ratio. Now the Canadians say that the Provincials roll quite a bit, but I think that they are comparing them to other beamy canadian boats, and compared to some of those hulls they do roll considerably more, but I believe they are a bit narrower than most of the other canadian 45's- compared to my 35 duffy the Provincials SQUAT while drifting in heavy seas. Ive fished more than a few terrible days on the drift on a provincial, and have literally said out loud that on the same day I would deem it unfishable in my 35.

Some of the provincial owners have glassed in "training wheels" just inside of the chine essentially kindoff adding a hard chine inboard of the hulls soft chine- they claim it massively cuts down on the roll of the boat.

Im seriously considering the 45 as my next hull, they are mostly built as bare bones work boats, and have lots of room for modifications, mostly in my case extending the normally 6 ft long wheelhouse an additional 6 ft. and adding a few creature comforts.

The "training wheels" were added to 42's, the 45 is hard chine and is much steadier.

dave fuller

Lieutenant
Just a curious question to provincial, did the Doucette boat company buy an old mould you had and start using? I was on one and I could swear I was on a provincial. When I was fishing I brought a tape out and roughly I would say the dimensions were all the same. I'm kind of a northumbland gunkie so I do those kind of things. The Doucette seemed like a Great boat , but to me it wasn't a Provincial. In your opinion why is a Provincial a better boat than a Doucette. Your answer would really help a potential buyer this spring.

manni-yunk

Commander
The "training wheels" were added to 42's, the 45 is hard chine and is much steadier.

So with the training wheels - is the 42 "steady".

I like the size of the 45 - but the economy of the 42.

I have a boat that is trustworthy - but rocks like a MFer (Bertram) - I would really like something more steady on the hook.

Top Bottom