43 lowell or 46 wesmac

dave fuller

Lieutenant
Would be used for crabbing and then rerigged for tuna. Would be offshore most of time for both 70% of time @ Georges. Looking for opinions about drifting, following seas, etc. Boats have 1000 HP in Wes Mac and 750 in Lowell.

dave fuller

Lieutenant
This is kind of a off the wall question but does anyone see many Northumberland boats, like for example Provincial, working off mass and other eastern states? Seems like they would work well for crabbing and/or tuna. Not sure if their built for far offshore though.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
There are a few 45' Provincials long lining out in the deep, sometimes on the eastern side of the Gulf Stream, here off NC.

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Dave- Are you considering a new build? Or are these boats you are considering used boats already on the market? If used, I would probably go with the one that is set up the best for your use and in the best condition. If new, the Lowell is going to cost less than the Wesmac, but the Wesmac resale will be better. So spend less now and get less later, or spend more now and get more later.

The Lowell is 3' shorter in length, but about 6" wider. I think the Lowell is going to offer a softer head sea ride, it is deep up front and built down. I don't think there is a DE boat made that will offer a softer ride than the Lowell boats. The 46' Wesmac and the 43' Lowell are my dream boats if I ever had the money to build one.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Im pro Lowell, but dont let that be a factor in which is better. Have fished on 42 wesmac and was thoroughly impressed. For some reason Im more a lowell fan can really explain why.

dave fuller

Lieutenant
I'm looking at those 3 used boats. The provincial is set up exactly how I want it but not sure how they handle in water off the states. I know their the best on thebut waters @ Pei but not sure about east coast conditions. Don't care about resale, planning on fishing it tell it literally falls apart. Also all 3 engines are in about same shape, all cats. Just trying to talk myself into pulling trigger on Provincial 45.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
I'm looking at those 3 used boats. The provincial is set up exactly how I want it but not sure how they handle in water off the states. I know their the best on thebut waters @ Pei but not sure about east coast conditions. Don't care about resale, planning on fishing it tell it literally falls apart. Also all 3 engines are in about same shape, all cats. Just trying to talk myself into pulling trigger on Provincial 45.

If its the red one there is a big ole convo on maine swap sell about her trying to submarine her bow and pushing a wall of water

Last edited:

Provincial

Commander

If its the red one there is a big ole convo on maine swap sell about her trying to submarine her bow and pushing a wall of water

Not a Provincial.

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
Dave- Are you considering a new build? Or are these boats you are considering used boats already on the market? If used, I would probably go with the one that is set up the best for your use and in the best condition. If new, the Lowell is going to cost less than the Wesmac, but the Wesmac resale will be better. So spend less now and get less later, or spend more now and get more later.

The Lowell is 3' shorter in length, but about 6" wider. I think the Lowell is going to offer a softer head sea ride, it is deep up front and built down. I don't think there is a DE boat made that will offer a softer ride than the Lowell boats. The 46' Wesmac and the 43' Lowell are my dream boats if I ever had the money to build one.

Powder---in you opinion what would be the effect on the Lowell 43' hull if somebody tacked on an extra 2 feet, similar to what you've done with your 38' hull? Would the boat run less bow-proud? Retain her legendary stability?

I spend too much time thinking (who am I kidding, dreaming) about these types of things.

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Powder---in you opinion what would be the effect on the Lowell 43' hull if somebody tacked on an extra 2 feet, similar to what you've done with your 38' hull? Would the boat run less bow-proud? Retain her legendary stability?

I spend too much time thinking (who am I kidding, dreaming) about these types of things.

2' extra feet would probably push the bow down a little, stability would be the same. Adding 2' gets you a bigger boat and it will still go the same speed with the same HP. It will carry weight better and run flatter. Who doesn't want an extra 2' or 3'? If I were to build a 43' Lowell, I would ask Jamie about stretching it 2'. If he felt comfortable doing it and the cost was reasonable, I would go for it. 45' Lowell with 800hp sounds like a winner.

FVSD

Lieutenant Commander
I think if everything is equal then I'd odviously go with the Wesmac 46'. We all know you can't buy a Wesmac 46' with similiar wear and hours for the same $$ as Prov or Lowell. I have no Prov. experience so my guess is the Lowell is the best value and would have similiar sea keeping abilities as the wesmac. I believe the Lowell is build down so may not be as good in a drift as the Wesmac but I've heard great things about the headsea performance and stability of the Lowell.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Why does Mussel ridge never seem to come up in these threads? They are beasts

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Why does Mussel ridge never seem to come up in these threads? They are beasts

Probably because there are so few of them out there, and if a guy wants a hard chine hull, I personally think the Wesmac is a better design and better looking. Plus if you are going to spend serious dough on a boat, go with the proven and popular design.

Here are 2 pics of 43' Lowells. I love the Wesmac, but I also love the Lowell boats. Either one is going to be awesome.

43 Lowell.jpg

43 Lowelldog.jpg

manni-yunk

Commander
How about opinions about the 45 Provincials.

Do you have a link to this boat? Im thinking about having one built. I have a friend with one who loves it. Ive also spoken to loads of owners all over the US and Canada who love their boat. Guys that spend 5-7 days at a time at sea, and guys that run out for a few hours. A few told me stories about the conditions they have been caught in and the way the boat handled it seems impressive.

If you reach out to Gordon, the builder, he will gladly give you the names and contact info of 45 owners all over the coast who use the boat is similar conditions then you will.

duxbait

Captain
How about opinions about the 45 Provincials.

I don't have any experience on one of these hulls, but have seen them on the water. From what I've seen they look to eat up a head sea. They have a little more rock to them on the hook than the wesmac or lowell. Don't know how much they weigh, I've heard they are solid glass, but they seem to ride a little lighter than other downeasts. Not a bad thing, may even be good in a following sea. Like I said never ridden on one, just my 2c from watching them

Top Bottom