Ensign
Boat Make
maritime skiff
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts, too much motor perhaps

eyschulman

Commander
Boat Make
Devlin 48 & Marshal Sanderling
The trend seems to be the more HP the better. the limit seems to be the amount of room in the bilge for the motor. Is this being overdone? That depends on your point of view. Does someone who thinks and acts like a 19 yr old kid with a street rod ever have enough HP?

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I think it sounds like ahell of an idea but I have read quite a bit around here about running diesels under loaded or too long at low RPM being bad for them. I am contemplating big HP in my Sisu 30 but in gas.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I think it sounds like ahell of an idea but I have read quite a bit around here about running diesels under loaded or too long at low RPM being bad for them. I am contemplating big HP in my Sisu 30 but in gas.

Toolate,

Have you done some research and contacted a few owners of 30 Sisius to ask just how fast that particular 30 foot hull can be comfortably pushed?

I contemplated bolting in a QSB 480 into a 29 H&H.
After talking to two owners and asking how fast the 29 H&Hs run "comfortably" and then sea trialing a 29 H&H with Crusader 6.0 MPI 375 power I realized any diesel hp over 380 hp was "wasted".

Most of these DE hulls run best between 16-20 knots.

FWIW, Bill D

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
I had a 300hp Cat in a 28 Wayne Beal and felt that it was more than enough power, easy cruise at 18-22kts and WOT of 29kts. BillD is right on the money, you will have to pick your days when you will be able to use all that power and cruise much above 20kts in a 28 foot boat. My boat was never really loaded down with weight so keep in mind that you may want some extra HP if the boat is going to be loaded to the bones with gear.

cuppy

Ensign
Boat Make
maritime skiff
Thanks for input guys, what do you think about ivecho motor
I live in south jersey and the only dealers I found are on land
I am concerned that in the event of a problem with motor that I may have a hard time finding a knowledgable mechanic for this motor application
Does anyone know anyone that does service this motor

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Toolate,

Have you done some research and contacted a few owners of 30 Sisius to ask just how fast that particular 30 foot hull can be comfortably pushed?

I contemplated bolting in a QSB 480 into a 29 H&H.
After talking to two owners and asking how fast the 29 H&Hs run "comfortably" and then sea trialing a 29 H&H with Crusader 6.0 MPI 375 power I realized any diesel hp over 380 hp was "wasted".

Most of these DE hulls run best between 16-20 knots.

FWIW, Bill D

I dont mean 480 hp big but more like 350. I think to get reasonable cruise speed and fuel efficiency in a gas engine (especially in the round bilge hull I have) I will need a little more hp that you might go with diesel to get the torque numbers up where they need to be at cruise (I am aiming at about 3000 rpm for my cruise).

Probably be a 383 but I would love to fit a big block if it was within reason space wise. I realize that it might be wasted to some extent but if it meant my engine lasted longer, worked less and used less gas plus had brass balls when needed I might go for another couple grand for the larger engine.

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Hello Cuppy,

Sorry it took so long for me to see this! Been very busy. Anyhow, Josh Belisle has a 28 Wayne Beal with 330 Mhp 5.9L NEF of ours and it is a 27 knot boat so you don't necessarily need 450 Mhp to make the boat go well. However, 450 Mhp would surely get you up around 30 knots WOT and a strong 25-26 knot cruise. I have a really good deal on a NEF 400 5.9L Tier 2 C.R. engine and a good deal on a NEF 450 6.7L Tier 2 C.R. engine. But there are only one of each left and that is it as Tier 2 is over and we have moved to Tier 3.

Also, just for your information, Mid Atlantic Engine Supply in Cinnaminson N.J. is an FPT Distributor and would be able to support your needs. They also have dealers around the area in Maryland, Delaware and N.J.

Private message me if you need any more information or contact me at [email protected].

Thanks for the interest.

Peter

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I dont mean 480 hp big but more like 350. I think to get reasonable cruise speed and fuel efficiency in a gas engine (especially in the round bilge hull I have) I will need a little more hp that you might go with diesel to get the torque numbers up where they need to be at cruise (I am aiming at about 3000 rpm for my cruise).

Probably be a 383 but I would love to fit a big block if it was within reason space wise. I realize that it might be wasted to some extent but if it meant my engine lasted longer, worked less and used less gas plus had brass balls when needed I might go for another couple grand for the larger engine.

The big block will eat you alive with gasoline consumption in that cruiser of yours!:(

Best to just rip the boat apart now while you still got the "feva", and bolt in a Cummins 6BTA 370 :D

Then when Travis pulls up next to you on the drag race circuits you can blow some smoke in his face !!!!! :rolleyes:

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Sounds like a lot of HP for that boat. What size wheel can it swing? Also with that much power dropping her into gear will be off to the races. Most likely 7 knots at idle. Pretty fast when docking & trolling. even with a trolling valve you still can not slow speed maneuver that easily. I would max that boat out at 350 HP.

Top Bottom