47' Dixon Rebuild

Helen L

Commander
I posted a few pics in the general forum for my intro, but will be posting the rest here. I'm currently rebuilding my 47' Dixon from the deck up. New deck, 3 more fuel tanks, rails, house, wiring, electronics, fuel lines, tower/pulpit, gelcoat, bottom paint, and name, the Helen L. Trying to have it done by the end of spring in time for the season. The boat will be used primarily as a pot boat as well as a tuna boat.

Here she was when I first got her

First thing was removing the 2000lb steel mast. Easy with a friend's crane. I also cut all the stainless plating off the rails and sides.

Tower and pulpit I'll be putting on later

Helen L

Commander
Opening the deck up and installing the 3 additional fuel tanks

First tank in

The other 2 now in. Total fuel is 600 gallons now.

Helen L

Commander
Redecking

I have this big tank sticking above deck because I wanted a lot of clearance over the shaft and the wheelhouse is coming back 5' (split house) and will cover the tank. A floor 8" higher will be built inside the house, which is being raised 9" to eliminate the engine box cover.

Helen L

Commander
I cut out the rot on the starboard rail and spliced in a new one. I am doing the same on the port side and also extending the coaming up higher all the way around. I'll put a few truss supports under the rail along the mid ship part since it's so long.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Welcome aboard..nice boat, looking forward to watching this project..now did you just drive this up? where did you get tanks made? you tackling this all winter on the dock?

Helen L

Commander
Are you planning on using the sanitation hose as your fill line?
Yeah, for now.

I brought the boat up in September. And yeah, I'll be doing this all winter at the dock, except the glassing/gelcoat which I'll do when it warms up in the spring.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Keep a careful eye on your vent and fill lines then, make sure they don't degrade where you have them clamped on.

I'd swap those out the first chance I got, safety first.

Helen L

Commander
I bought the tanks used. The big one is out of an '07 Boston Whaler. The glassed one is aluminum glassed over I found on CL, the port side was made in Plymouth.

Helen L

Commander
Yeah I hear ya. I spent $5k on fiberglass, resin, and gelcoat last month so I've been having to save $ where I can. Using excess hoses from previous projects was one way.

Eastporter

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
I like your rebuild so far. That boat looks rugged!

Helen L

Commander
Thanks buddy. She is rugged. Went through some snot bringing her up right after the hurricane in September. She handled it well...a bit tippy, but that was due to the 2000lb 25' mast. I'm under the gun to get her done, but still want to do a quality job. Strength is number one, cosmetics two. She is after all 100% commercial.

Helen L

Commander
negative, bunker. The "B" on each side of the house designated her as a bait boat. Owner now has a brand new 45' Dixon. Saw her when I picked this one up...pretty impressive. Not as impressive as the other seiner next to her, a 50' Wesmac. High sheer and all fish hold with a 20' skiff up the stern ramp.

Tunascapes

Commander
I was thinking it was not tuna. I like it. I thought dixons had more of a hard chine. Is it because this is an older hull or am I just off target?

Helen L

Commander
The older ones had a very round chine. The new design is much harder. Can't wait to put a new rub rail on her...very difficult laying on the dock.

Tunascapes

Commander
Thanks for the info. Im sure it will sit a bit lower when you are fueled up. keep up the good work. Should be a sneaky big stick boat.

Helen L

Commander
For a 1987 hull, it is remarkably sound. Checked it out from keel to rail, solid all the way through. Ribs and stringers are foam cored, no wood. All the bulkheads were also solid with no rot to my pleasure. She will be one of the only full time lobster/conch boats with a full tower and pulpit that's for sure. Looking forward to seeing how she sits with the tanks full. The mast weighed about the same as the fuel in the new tanks will and the weight will be in the same spot, except under the deck, not 25' above!

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
HELEN L,

Just don't say I hear to ya, to First Team's post above. In 1977 my father had Sisu Boats build him a 22' inboard boat. Sisu Boats used radiator hose for the fill hose and a plastic gas tank mounted thwart ship. On August 15, 1982 at about 5:30PM there was a problem, at which time I became as close to becoming a crispy critter (second and third degree burns over 35% of my body and I am left handed and still do not have full use of my left thumb) as I want to be. When corners are cut with hoses this is what happens. Safety first.

F/V FIRST TEAM,

Yes Yes Bub, Scars are just tattos with better stories.

Top Bottom