4D vs 8D battery

Tuna Hotline

Captain
Northstar batteries are awesome and much smaller than the average 4D/8D. Worth a look if you don't cringe at the price.

leaky

Vice Admiral
I always top off my batteries (charge & water) and leave them in the boat for the winter w/o a charger. Never a problem. Leaving a charger on all winter or bringing them inside where it is warm is not only not necessary but IMO harmful. Just make sure you have no parasitic loads and if so remove cables.
I have a friend that burned his whole shop down using a cheap tiny battery maintainer on one of his antique cars.

I believe that it works for you but can't understand how that works so reliably, where are you located? I've never seen a battery you could really rely on staying charged all winter. Even the AGM in my bike in the garage, it's good for about 2 months of non use and it's not going to turn the bike over whether it's new or a couple years old, and any vehicle I've had that was not used for extended periods, same for boats just instead of one battery it's 3 or 4 - I seem to have friends that go through this every year "my batteries won't charge, something is wrong with <insert device here>", come down to the boat and the charger and/or ACR's are in a protection mode because they sense < 8 volts or some ridiculous thing, battery switches all were off, batteries just die after 6 months.

How long do you get out of batteries that way? I seem to usually get 7 years out of the run off the mill Everstart, Duralast, automotive store variety of marine batteries keeping them on the charger.. maybe though I will put up with them being a little weak for the last year. Part of the idea there is that's just how you keep your batteries year round, for instance at the dock I always want to get in the boat w/ batteries fully charged.

No doubt, I get the part about an electrical thing going bezerk but a real on board marine charger, permanently connected with fused outputs, plugged into a GFI breaker, it is fairly safe. A $20 trickle charger with clamps is probably close to the most unsafe thing other than a larger version of the same cheap chargers, I have seen those things almost catch fire just from running them on a generator.

Last edited:

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Located Cape Cod, MA. I usually get 4-5 years out of a battery although the one in my car is close to 7 years. I think the self discharge rate goes way down in freezing weather and altho battery loses voltage when it is cold it comes back when it warms up. My motorcycle and lawn tractor batteries usually die an early death too for some reason but then they are stored in semi-heated shop.
I had a 2 bank Guest 3 step charger onboard and it worked fine for may years but when it gave up the ghost it did so by going to 16v and staying there. Destroyed both batteries, I bought a new one but I don't leave it on in the winter and I take the fuses out b/c I think it is a parasitic load when not charging. I know my ACR draws current all the time so I disconnect its ground too. Everything else is disconnected by the main switch.

leaky

Vice Admiral
Located Cape Cod, MA. I usually get 4-5 years out of a battery although the one in my car is close to 7 years. I think the self discharge rate goes way down in freezing weather and altho battery loses voltage when it is cold it comes back when it warms up. My motorcycle and lawn tractor batteries usually die an early death too for some reason but then they are stored in semi-heated shop.
I had a 2 bank Guest 3 step charger onboard and it worked fine for may years but when it gave up the ghost it did so by going to 16v and staying there. Destroyed both batteries, I bought a new one but I don't leave it on in the winter and I take the fuses out b/c I think it is a parasitic load when not charging. I know my ACR draws current all the time so I disconnect its ground too. Everything else is disconnected by the main switch.

May be the temperature difference we see, Cape gets plenty cold but my impression was always the weather is a little different - the birds are chirping around there when we are still locked into winter A quick look at the winter lows, I am on the NH/MA line within ~10 miles of the coast, cape appears to see mid 20's, where I'm at it's mid teens. In Maine it's going to be colder.

On the ACR, yes they must draw something as they are always trying to operate. I put breakers on those mostly for safety but also so you can shut the batteries off completely. I feed the bilge pumps, with a fuse in between, after those breakers. So basically all the stuff that is on all the time you can kill via the breakers, rest is controlled by the battery switch.

Have one of those old Guest chargers, a 3 bank, probably similar vintage, in my skiff. Hasn't failed yet but I guess I know what to look for. Every now and then I notice my battery gauges are showing 15 volts, I blame on it on the old OMC 35 amp charging system going bezerk, parts are all new but has always been finicky, should probably take note of where the batteries were before I started the engine (haha may actually go take a peek tonight before I forget about it for the winter!).

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
never took the batteries out of my bowpicker or the H&H in Alaska when they were on the trailer by my shop. Had temps down to 30 below and they never froze. I did turn on the smart charger a couple of times over the winter.
SS snowed in right.JPG

Last edited:

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
never took the batteries out of my bowpicker or the H&H in Alaska when they were on the trailer by my shop. Had temps down to 30 below and they never froze. I did turn on the smart charger a couple of times over the winter.
View attachment 94787
Yeah but you had the special Alaska batteries that could handle the cold. LOL

P18Flirt

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
Pointer 18 / BHM 28

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
seeing 12.6VDC on the gauges is nice, but remember....that this, doesn't represent SOC (state of charge).

P18Flirt

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
Pointer 18 / BHM 28

Longfin

Lieutenant
Hey Steve,

Next time I buy batteries I'm going with the Rolls 6V. Rolls are top shelf and wired in series they offer substantially more reserve power than an 8D.
After I wrestle those 8D's out I'm not going back. No spring chicken anymore.

Stu

Last edited:

BlueMack

Captain
Boat Make
Bruno & Stillman 35
Hey Steve,

Next time I buy batteries I'm going with the Rolls 6V. Rolls are top shelf and wired in series they offer substantially more reserve power than an 8D.
After I wrestle those 8D's out I'm not going back. No spring chicken anymore.

Stu
Just what I’m thinking for my house bank, I just feel lithium does not work for me. I want to be able to start off the house bank if necessary and I don’t think lithium will do that. Also want to stick with lead acid for both because of my charger, going both AGM is an option but not sure it’s worth it

Top Bottom