5 giants a day?

greg

Captain
Just saw the notice increasing creel limits to 5 fish/day. Wow, the season must have really sucked....

Happy t-day all.....

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Very tough year. Haven't seen as many giants in the last 15 years as I saw this this year but they were extremely difficult to put on the deck. It's asinine to even think there is a retention limit at all. It's a quota based fishery with nearly real time reporting. You should be allowed to keep all of what you catch as long as it meets the minimum size restrictions until such time as the total quota is in jeopardy of being filled.
As most who fish hard for these fish know on the days you can catch them or they allow you to catch them you should be able to do so until such time as the total quota is in nearly full.
The only people happy with this underage in my estimation are some of the pelagic longline fleet and our government since it nearly satisfies the dilemma of where to account for the dead bluefin discard in that fishery.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made
Last edited:

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
The yen per kilo price paid for tuna fish has not changed a great deal in the last 15 or so years but the exchange rate has varied dramatically. This year for instance was nearly a 20% decrease in return to US fisherman. Additionally the Japanese are obviously showing loyalty to there own country's fish, just look at the returns to Japanese fishing vessels compared to others. Market variables are always a pain in the ass. Gimme a $10 guarantee and I will let you have every fish I catch!

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
How about down the coast a bit where the warm water is way inshore?

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Its the Christmas Bluefin. This happens almost every year.

Where is Crabman!?!?!?!?

Crabman

Lieutenant Commander
Where is Crabman!?!?!?!?

I'm in Florida with my mom. We are moving her to a new facility. Could you please tell everybody to wait until I get back sometime next week.

Or, you can just kill me now.

Top Bottom