50 Hp outboard and weight

Bassin

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Maritime Skiff
Hey guys, I got a question about my boat. I have a 50 Hp DFI outboard on my 22 woodskiff and I want to know what you guys think about the engine pushing around 3000lbs of weight. That's with the boat loaded with gear, the boat, and fish. I know it's going to be a slow trip but not really sure how slow. Anyone got a clue? I don't want to go out my first trip and realize I can't even move against the tide. That would suck.

Thanks for the help guys

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
the doctor i work for has a 22 ft skiff with a 150. It weighs 2300 lbs. Being your already starting behind the curve, get the biggest prop you can fit on the out board with the least amount of pitch.

Eastporter

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
I had a 50 hp Johnson 2 stroke on my 20' lobster skiff before I rebuilt it and it was underpowered with about 1500 lbs.

novivin

Captain
estimated speed

Hi Bassin,

I had a Manomet 18... the 18 Ladybug Brockway style skiff with a 25 4stroke Tohatsu. I could go 11 knots, with four adults, cooler, ice, lots of tackle, all my other spare stuff, gear and four nice polyethelene chairs on custom swivel mounts carrying 12 gallons of gas. (which I never burned through half of running from Fairhaven to the Vineyard and back. I fugure that equates to at least 2000 pounds due to the additional weight of my benches and custom storage locker made of plywood, 2x4 and screws and lots of lovely 5200. I could cross Buzzards Bay go through Robinsons Hole and across Vineyard Sound to Menemsha in one hour or so, maybe an hour and a half if the wind and seas slowed progress in the flat bottom skiff.

You will make 8 knots at least, if you distribute weight so that it is even throughout with a little more in the stern, you may do better than that. I suspect that you might crack 10 knots. That will get you progress even through a place like Woods Hole.

Bassin

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Maritime Skiff
My skiff is a lady bug also. I hope it works out I dont really want to be making 3 hour trips, but it is what it is. Thanks for the help guys.

sailboatssuck

Lieutenant
Misread your post. Thought you wanted to know how your boat would handle a bunch of weight.
My solution was to fill up drums of water aboard the boat, and take her for a ride.

Bassin

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Maritime Skiff
Misread your post. Thought you wanted to know how your boat would handle a bunch of weight.
My solution was to fill up drums of water aboard the boat, and take her for a ride.
I get it. I misread your post, I'm actually going to do that now. Thank you.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Bay Pointe Marina, Savin Hill YC, Milton YC
Boat Make
1986 Hatteras 36 Yanmar 370s & 1988 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited with 25 Mercury 4S
My buddy bought the plans from Ladybug and built it himself (he works for a wooden boat co in Mattapoisset) and he put a 40 ETEC on his, tiller steer. He overbuilt the boat, its borderline a tank but when he's cruising solo he's hit in excess of 22 knots I believe.

@novivin, I am sure you've seen this boat it's black on grand banks beige it hails from Marion, but can be found at Bassett's Island to Naushon to Falmouth.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Bay Pointe Marina, Savin Hill YC, Milton YC
Boat Make
1986 Hatteras 36 Yanmar 370s & 1988 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited with 25 Mercury 4S
I concur even though its a skiff and shouldn't need much for power anyways...you're still trying to push 3000 pounds!

One horsepower will move twenty five pounds one foot per second, right...?

thebridge

Lieutenant Commander
I have a 20ft George Williams Skiff and I have a 50HP 2 stroke Yamaha. Boat moves along great and could probably take a 75. Great boat for beach and bass fishing

4breezes

Lieutenant
My ex-son-in-law had an 18 foot Brockway with a 90hp Yamaha. He fished a couple hundred traps with it. I've posted a picture of it here in the forum if you care to hunt.

It would move along at a respectable speed, though it did slow down noticeably with a load.

thebridge

Lieutenant Commander
anyone know if George Williams still makes skiffs down in Falmouth? I have a 20 and would love to get a bigger one if he makes them

shoes

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Tolman Skiff
Per a wooden skiff designer, 25 lbs per horsepower is an ideal relationship between boat and motor. 40 lbs per horsepower is about as high you can stretch the ratio before being underpowered.

Top Bottom