6 man Switlik duffel bag liferaft

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Hello guys,

Any interest in the life raft pictured here?

To my knowledge the raft has NEVER been deployed.

The raft is in need of a certified "service".

I spoke with a service center in Portland, they quoted $900 for an overhaul.

Anybody interested???

I have zero clue on what it's worth. I paid $500 for it 5 years ago.

Anyone ??

Thanks, Bill D

IMG_3757.jpg

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
Bill,

From the picture as best as I as I can tell the manufacture date was in 2004. You said you bought it five years ago (2007). Was the raft serviced between 2004 and 2007? Have you had it serviced since 2007?
If the raft has not been serviced take it to the dump.

Harpoon

Ensign
Might be fine

you could always open it and let it inflate... you'd know if it were worth servicing. Bring it to a pool party

Last edited:

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
is there a limit to the number of years that a raft can and can not be serviced????..:eek:.....

Last edited:

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Md-1

It is a quality raft and still worth money. Even though it is in need of a repack
It appears to be the MD-1 which is the single tube model. The MD-2 is preferred.
If you paid $500 five years ago you did good. If they can bring it to grade for a high price of $900.00 you are still in good shape. The Switlik MD series are the very best. Without deployment they are good for over thirty years of service.
Lastly it has a weight of only 68 pounds which makes it easy to handle in a bad situation.

BHM31

Lieutenant
It's probably still good. I had a Zodiac SY-6 Canister that I purchased new in 1990. The service life was 16 years and after 21 years I decided it was better to buy a new one rather than try to repack it. Having small kids onboard these days, I didn’t want to take a chance with an older raft. It hadn't been serviced for 6 years and I put it in my pool last summer and said to my wife, if this opens w/o any issues I'm getting another Zodiac. Pulled the cord and it opened perfectly upright in about 5 seconds. It was really amazing to see and I have it on tape and will try to post it later. My kids floated around in it for weeks afterwards and it just needed a little air every 5 or so days. One thing I did notice when I was in it was that the floor gets cold even in the summer. Because of this I got the insulated floor option when I purchased a new one. Can only imagine what it must feel like when the water is 40f. Something to keep in mind for anyone considering purchasing one.

If it’s a 2004 and being a Switlik, I don’t see why someone would not but it on Ebay.

Good luck.

Harpoon

Ensign
raft

If your going to junk it, I'll take it. Who knows maybe it will be ok after service.

GoodChance

Lieutenant Commander
Bill -

Next time you come to FL, bring it with you, I'll buy you dinner or give you $100 for it.

18 years old is getting a bit old but Switlik are good rafts and it should have a bit more life left in it.

Chris

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Bill -

Next time you come to FL, bring it with you, I'll buy you dinner or give you $100 for it.

18 years old is getting a bit old but Switlik are good rafts and it should have a bit more life left in it.

Chris
It's yours !!!!
Just got back from FL Tuesday for the season.
The raft will have to be driven down.
TOOO heavy for an airline check in.
Keep the money, I'll trade ya a trip out on the 32 Holland.

Btw, what is the status on the Holland ????

Bill D

GoodChance

Lieutenant Commander
Bill -

The Holland is still at the old man's yard although I did get a call from him a few weeks ago saying that he was ready for me to come get it although he still didn't have the title for ownership.

If someone wants to give you $$ for the raft between now and the next time you are in FL (or I am in the NE)...... please go ahead and take the cash since i doubt either of us will cross paths until next December.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Bill -

The Holland is still at the old man's yard although I did get a call from him a few weeks ago saying that he was ready for me to come get it although he still didn't have the title for ownership.

If someone wants to give you $$ for the raft between now and the next time you are in FL (or I am in the NE)...... please go ahead and take the cash since i doubt either of us will cross paths until next December.
I doubt it's going anywhere but my garage. Nobody beating a path to get it LOL !!

Top Bottom