8.2 Detroit

paulcap

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Luhrs
Well it's been a week of discernment.. but ultimately think making a sound decision... I want something more than 5.7 single screw pushing the luhrs alura. Will go diesel eventually but not with the 8.2. It work fine if wanted to put around. But got an old wood boat with twins for a grand. I'm gunna break her up after getting AC and other things off. Allison twin disk 1.54/1 gears. Will work toward a diesel. Warranty gunna fix whatever is ailing Vortec. But think I'm working it too hard. Anyone interested in the gears etc.?

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
No comprende ?

are you asking about the detroit or not ?

Don't believe all the hype, the 8.2 is not a terrible engine, the biggest problem with these were the shady tree mechanics with out the right tooling trying to fix'm. We got a guy by us Dr Detroit. Very knowledgeable guy and makes'm run great. Could you beneift from other engines, sure. If there a freebee, as what i think your saying. They would do the job quite well, although i would suggest a 2:1 gear over the 1.5:1.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Jersey,What HP do those 8.2 put out......and are they the ones that were put into the chevy blazer in the early 80's

paulcap

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Luhrs
There 250 HP with turbocharger. Just thinking I need a lil bit more to keep my cruise speed up and not over tax motor. Plus they've been sitting 10 yrs.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
Jersey,What HP do those 8.2 put out......and are they the ones that were put into the chevy blazer in the early 80's

not sure what his are, but they go up to 315 i believe maybe 350, found them abit in the chris craft tourn series and the blackfins.

what your taking about was the 6.2 and 6.5 junks also found in humvee's. When marinised where called peninsular beast

Last edited:

paulcap

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Luhrs
Jersey Sportfisher...thank you..I'm just out of my element and trying to learn. Kinda think should get issues and why 5.7 Vortec failure back. Then refurbish one of the Detroit's even address rust etc. Get new wheel, bigger shaft if needed..bigger seacock easier to absorb cost over time and know she's ready to go. What ya think? I'm a career machinist so on the modification stuff no prob.

pugsley

Captain
i knew a couple of guys with 8.2s, and they really liked them, just don't even say overheat around them. maybe not the toughest motor in the world, but they will work.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
Jersey Sportfisher...thank you..I'm just out of my element and trying to learn. Kinda think should get issues and why 5.7 Vortec failure back. Then refurbish one of the Detroit's even address rust etc. Get new wheel, bigger shaft if needed..bigger seacock easier to absorb cost over time and know she's ready to go. What ya think? I'm a career machinist so on the modification stuff no prob.

i dont know what size alura you have, freebee's are NICE !! you might gain 3 knots with a higher horsepower deisel but at what cost ? I think the 8.2 would be good, if you want to stay cheap keep the gear if the down angle is correct. Shafting bare min 1.25 on 250hp. If i were you, i would start one up on the ground if it runs you 80% ahead of the game. being out and proven to run, next is easy media blast and paint. put her in run and have fun!!! whats nice withe what your doing, put a big keel cooler on her.

paulcap

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Luhrs
Kinda my thoughts...I have 1.5 shafting and not major changes to make. We fired one up the other night. Lil injector attention needed and I'm gunna Fab better raw water pump bracket. Be nice project with it on a stand which I'm drawing up. I salvaged 8 in. Steel Casters from our scrap bin. And would love to have volatile gas gone.and the rumble of diesel ...and can better get measurements with them out.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
yes!!!! use what you got . i run 3208 cats 320hp on aqua 22 1.5's, your good in shafting. use a good split coupler. and get that motor in!!! you could be fabbings mounts while the injectors are out.

paulcap

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Luhrs
Just got new split coupling late fall of last year with new 20x20 dqx prop and shaft professionally straitened..

mudhake

Captain
I bought one as a take out 10 yrs ago with 1400 hrs on it. put it my shop for 5 yrs. turned it over every year. A lobster fisherman from cape porpoise me, had one in a 35ft. duffy with 21,000 hrs on it and he knew i had it in my shop . he bought it from me and installed it 6 yrs ago and has not had a problem with it since. They also made a 300hp version that had plenty of problems. they are a lot heavier then 1100 lbs. I cant remember exactly but I think 1700lbs with gear, maybe 1600.

paulcap

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Luhrs
trailer

Well I have gas engine properly diagnosed..should be up in a week. May have a enclosed ramp trailer to store and transport diesels. Make it easy to roll the dolly in etc. Soda blast them and have injectors looked at then paint. Gut some use out of gas engine this year and have diesel homework finished
prop shaft etc. If needed...and gear change....

Top Bottom