8D battery lifespan

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I have a pair of Interstate 1400 CCA 8D's that will be 4 years old this winter. No issues to date - keep them another year or proctively retire prior to next summers canyon season?

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Call me crazy, but I change mine out every 5 years. However, I do one every 2.5 years. Something we started to pick up on ships and I like it. Granted I know some battery's last longer for me its worth it. `

I'm sure someone will chime in saying they have had a battery for decades!

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
BTW, Priced out Interstate last year and was amazed what you get with commercial pricing, I think it was like $189 or $220. I was amazed that Sears on Cape Cod didnt even know what a 8D was anymore. To me, I think that was a pretty good deal, any other deals out there?

Sidefact, I ended up buying packages of AA, AAA, C and D for kids toys there, wow they are crap, great price but just do not last.

This was at the interstate stores they have out there now.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
I get generally 4 good years and then stretch them to sometimes 5. Once in a blue moon after running lights and electronics on the anchor for a long period of time, I need to fire up the Honda Generator to give a quick charge to start up. Once that stats happening I replace them both..

CEShawn I like your idea for sure. How many 8D's you carry 2 i assume?

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Actually in all honesty Travis, since you use your boat alot more then I, how long do you get out your batteries?

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
I think I put this one in around 2007. Needed a battery since I stole the ones out of the boat to put in some trucks. Originally had two Blue Cap Optima's now just the single 8D. Only have an 8D because I won it in a race, otherwise it would be a group 24 or some other foolish sized battery. Not a whole lot of power demands on my boat without the livewell pump running.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I have two 8D's and when the engine is off at night always have the generator running. Cod fishing and bottom fishing I usually just turn everything off.

BTW, I hate the Optima's, sure enough I think they are a big bang for your buck etc, but one or two dead battery's and they just do not seem to come back the same. I have had them in two boats now and replaced them on countless ships.

I do want to add a 3rd battery just for the generator, but I think as with everything I need to revamp everything. I remember a few times coming down to dead main batteries for one reason or another and using the little 24/27 to start the generator, get things moving.

I do have one of those power packs too, but not sure how well they do with starting real engines, I think they are better than 15 years ago when I first saw them.

Lion's Paw

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.divehatteras.com
Boat Make
42 Duffy
Replace them if they look like this...

8dblowup.gif

Everything is in nice Blue Seas boxes and all cleaned up now...

I have 4 8D batteries on this boat and have replaced them two at a time. Seem to get around 4 to 5 years out of a set.

Last edited:

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
i have tried using a power pak on my 3208t and never was enough to turn it over. I use 2 4d's and a honda 2000, best $947 i ever spent.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I was just hoping to have it kick over the Northern Lights generator, hmm.

Lions Paw, one more start left in that battery or what?

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Does a solar trickle charger count as keeping them plugged in?

Since i put one on the boat, my batteries always crank up like I never shut the engine off.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I've got 2 8D's in my BHM and 4 of them in my DMR (twin screw). I think a couple of them in the DMR froze this winter when I couldn't get to power for my charger, so only two years out of those. All the others are three years old now. I have one of those jump starters made for big trucks. It will start a 671.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Every four years for any battery. Unlike cars the batteries do not float on suspension. Boats pound and the batteries take a beating. The plates loosen up and once you lose a cell they are done. Plus charging batteries that have taken some pounding take a toll on the alternator. Buy cheap batteries they all last the same. Interstate are great value. Lastly on a winter haul out if the batteries stay in the boat fill them with distilled water & fully charge them. Once charge disconnect the negative terminal so no voltage can creep out via the negative leg. Lastly on battery installs make sure they fit nice and tight in the battery box so they cannot move in any direction. a 100 battery jumping up even 1' in the cradles can do a lot of damage to the plates.

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
What about gel cells. I have 3 in parallel for my house & 2 in paralell for starting but I can put them all together. I leave them connected for the winter just shut all breakers off and they hold a decent charge all winter. I have balmar electronic regulators.

Top Bottom